The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Most bebop classics are contrafacts which add passing chords to older tunes, but not here:

ACSHUALLY.... Conrad Cork pointed out that many bop versions of tunes actually simplified the original changes. A good example is Indiana/Donna Lee

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Nice! I always admired that recording but never transcribed it. I didn't realise it was the first solo jazz guitar arrangement.
    Thanks. McDonough was a really fine player. Are you familiar with the later jam session at Victor where he meets up with Fats and Bunny Berigan? Love the wild guitar solo at 1'15"!:

User Info Menu

Dorsey's solo isn't exactly chopped liver, either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson
    Dorsey's solo isn't exactly chopped liver, either.
    Yes, I meant to include Dorsey's name. That's such a fine piece of work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Hey garybaldy,

I was just messing around with the A section and came up with this:

Gm7 / C7 / | Gm7 / C7 / | Gm7 / F#m7 B7 | Bbmaj7 Bb6 Em7 Ebmaj7 | Dm7 / G7 / | Gm7 / Bb/C / |
    1._______________________ 2.______________________
    F6 / Bb7 / | Am7 / Ab7 / :|| F6 / Gm7 / | Abo7 / F/A A7 ||

The move to relative minor in bar 5 is pretty cool and keeps things moving against the repetitive nature of the melody. Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

A similar approach could be transferred to the bridge (starting out from the relative minor):

Dm7 / G7 / | C#-7 F#7 F7 B7 | Bb7 / Cm7 / | C#o7 / Bb7/D / |
    Em7 / A7 / | Ebm7 Ab7 G7 Db7 | C7 / Dm7 / | Ebo7 / C7/E / ||
    Thank you so much PMB. That's very much what I was after.
    It'll definitely keep me busy for a few months!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    In bars 3 and 4 of the A section I feel I can hear in my head quite a lot of harmonic movement.
    I can't fathom it out though. There's something going on in the Dick McDonough solo version.
    Can anyone suggest some interesting chords/ chord voicings on each beat where I have the ?s. TIA
    Gm7/C7/ Gm7/C7/ Gm7/?? ???? F/ etc
    Gary, the trouble is you mentioned the DM version which is in D. But your own example (Gm/C7) is in F. But you appeared very pleased with the DM transcript so we thought that was it.

Now PMB has written out his own version of some chords in F and apparently that's what you were after all the time. It's hard to know what's really going on, to be honest.

It's also not clear whether you want to do a solo fingerstyle version or just have some chords as a backing to play over. In which case you may as well use one of those backing tracks on YouTube.

It's hard to help when everything's not clear, you know? What did you actually want?

Why don't you just stick to a simple, straightforward version? It's not a complex tune and it absolutely won't take you months to get it sorted out. I mean, spending literally months on one tune is absurd, frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Gary, the trouble is you mentioned the DM version which is in D. But your own example (Gm/C7) is in F. But you appeared very pleased with the DM transcript so we thought that was it.

Now PMB has written out his own version of some chords in F and apparently that's what you were after all the time. It's hard to know what's really going on, to be honest.

It's also not clear whether you want to do a solo fingerstyle version or just have some chords as a backing to play over. In which case you may as well use one of those backing tracks on YouTube.

It's hard to help when everything's not clear, you know? What did you actually want?

Why don't you just stick to a simple, straightforward version? It's not a complex tune and it absolutely won't take you months to get it sorted out. I mean, spending literally months on one tune is absurd, frankly.
    I don't care what key. I know all the keys.
    I like all the various options suggested regardless of key - it's all relative!! I chose F in my OP but I could have used Roman numerals I suppose.
    I'm a busy person.