The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What is the chord progression in the turnaround at 00:15? I've heard it many times but I have no idea and not really sure how to search for it either.

Can anyone suggest a consolidated resource, preferably printed in a book, for learning many different types of turnarounds (There is always someone who says go listen to them and figure them out but please don't. I would have already if I could decipher them by ear).

I find this video so interesting for so many reasons, but especially because it is such a basic song that I would have no idea how to make it interesting. I wonder what the band was thinking as they played this. That lady had some skills.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Philippe Baudoin: "Jazz: Mode d'Emploi" (book)

But it's written in French.

User Info Menu

My first thought, going by the piano, was

Ab/F7 - Bb7/Eb7 - Ab

But it may change at the end. At 4.01 the poor guitarist (!) pauses on the Db (x4666x) for some time. His pinky's sticking up but I think that's a bar across the 6th with his 3rd finger. And he plays it quicker earlier when he's on camera.

Ab - Db/Do - Eb7 - Ab.

466544 - x4666x/x4535x - x6564x - 466544

See what the others say :-)

---------------------

There are other ways to play a t/a like this. I'm not saying they do this here.

Ab/F7 - Bb7/Eb7 - Ab
    Ab/F7 - E7/Eb7 - Ab
    Ab/Co - Bb7 or Bbm7/Eb7 - Ab
    Ab/Co - Bb7 or Bbm7/A7 - Ab
    Ab/Db7 - Gb7/G7 - Ab

Etc. If in doubt, put it all down a half-tone and do it in G.

User Info Menu

I agree that it is a fascinating example of how even a simple song can be made interesting with the right approach.