The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I purchased the Chord Melody course, which is fantastic and I am thoroughly enjoying and absorbing every page. I do have a music theory question about it, and I don't know if this is the correct place to ask:

On page 40, the G Major scale is harmonized with the melody note on top. Here are my questions:

1. If you harmonize a major scale you should get I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, iidim chords, however these chords don't follow this formula, yet they still sound correct. Why is this?

2. Some chords are labelled major, such as the second chord which is a Gmaj9. But the second chord in a major scale should be minor. However this sounds minor, and it looks like an inversion of a Bm7 chord. On top of this, Bm7 should be the iii chord, not the ii chord, as shown here!

See image below. Thanks for any help!

Harmonized Major Scale with Melody On Top Confusion-screenshot-2023-12-21-10-12-46-am-png
    Last edited by boarini2003; 01-06-2024 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Typo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Except for the first one, it's not the root on top.

Like Jim said, this is a bunch of Gmaj chords with a different note from the major scale on top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Except for the first one, it's not the root on top.

Like Jim said, this is a bunch of Gmaj chords with a different note from the major scale on top.
    G is the root of G major. G is found on the E strings on the third fret.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    G is the root of G major. G is found on the E strings on the third fret.
    Correct, the only chord in the diagram with that note is the first one. So this is not a harmonized major scale with the root on top. The root is only on top in the first chord.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boarini2003
    I purchased the Chord Melody course, which is fantastic and I am thoroughly enjoying and absorbing every page. I do have a music theory question about it, and I don't know if this is the correct place to ask:

On page 40, the G Major scale is harmonized with the root on top. Here are my questions:

1. If you harmonize a major scale you should get I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, iidim chords, however these chords don't follow this formula, yet they still sound correct. Why is this?

2. Some chords are labelled major, such as the second chord which is a Gmaj9. But the second chord in a major scale should be minor. However this sounds minor, and it looks like an inversion of a Bm7 chord. On top of this, Bm7 should be the iii chord, not the ii chord, as shown here!

I can see your confusion..

This is a Collection of G Major chords each having a SCALE note as the "root" ..OK this is not the correct term..it should be called TOP NOTE..

so I would call this exercise...

A collection of G Major chord forms with each top note ( soprano voice) a diatonic scale degree

see if that makes more sense

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    I can see your confusion..

This is a Collection of G Major chords each having a SCALE note as the "root" ..OK this is not the correct term..it should be called TOP NOTE..

so I would call this exercise...

A collection of G Major chord forms with each top note ( soprano voice) a diatonic scale degree

see if that makes more sense
    The top note is the most important note because that notes are the notes lay(wo)men not trained on inner voices are gonna hear as the obvious melody.

User Info Menu

When you play chord melody you are given a chord and a melody note.

This lesson shows how to play a G major type of chord with any note from the G major scale on top. Useful to know for chord melody.

"G major type" refers to chords that can generally substitute for G major. So, it's a G triad with the 6, 9, or major seventh somewhere in the chord. One chord requires an 11th.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boarini2003

On page 40, the G Major scale is harmonized with the root on top. Here are my questions:

See image below. Thanks for any help!

Harmonized Major Scale with Melody On Top Confusion-screenshot-2023-12-21-10-12-46-am-png
    The image you attached does not suggest it's the harmonized G major scale with the root on top.

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    The image you attached does not suggest it's the harmonized G major scale with the root on top.
    I apologize, that was a typo. I meant the melody note on top, not the root. I edited the original post to reflect this.
    Last edited by boarini2003; 01-06-2024 at 06:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Is this the course from this website ?

Yes.

User Info Menu

This is how my teacher, Tony Monaco, taught me the most basic way to approach chord melody. Beyond that are subs, inner movement, BH, etc, but this is really the bread and butter. Just melody note on top with whatever most convenient chord inversion below of the chord in the progression you're on, no trickery.

User Info Menu

On C major

Ascending
    C G7 C F C F G C

Descending
    C G D7 G G7 C G7 C