The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Apologies for the 80s night club vibes…. My soft light ran out of batteries haha

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That is a nice sound, maybe one of those Strymon thingies?

Anyway, a couple or 3 personal observations, in no particular order:

1. I find the playing in your jazz discussion vids, of which I have seen a few over the years, to be generally rather decaffeinated and definitely occupying a secondary role to a spoken voice which wouldn't entirely be out of place reading a sermon in a home counties village church. More actual playing would be good.

2. I thoroughly enjoyed a brief fusion clip you posted with a/the 335 which was anything but decaf. Not talking about style or genre preferences here, just that whatever ones plays, it has to sound like it matters

3. Really enjoyed your album, both composition and playing, full caffeine.

User Info Menu

For what it’s worth, I don’t mind the amount of talking in the videos. The subject matter tends to be a bit headier in Christians stuff and requires some explanation. If I’m going to be blunt, there are a lot of jazz YouTube channels out there where people show me lots of nice playing and I don’t learn anything. Christian’s I tend to learn something. Or at least think about something differently. I could be wrong but I think he’s sometimes aiming for a different subset of players than, say, Chris Whiteman or Jens Larsen. Nothing wrong with them either, by the way.

User Info Menu

I watched only some of the video so maybe I missed something but why is the root motion of three down, two up is counterpoint but the vanilla fourths isn't? Is it because the up and down movement creates more opportunities for contrary motion?

User Info Menu

Very nice. Didn't know you'd started a new channel.

Oh yeah, and it's a bit ridiculous to claim there is too much spoken voice in this video* and also complain that the playing is 'decaff'** when it is simply there to demonstrate the concepts the video is about.

* Also ridiculous to make comment on the accent too.

** I gave up caffeine years ago anyway!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    I’ve been watching these and didn’t even realize it was a different channel

User Info Menu

Yeah I mean this is stuff I’m working on. So it’s not going to sound ‘there’ yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W

Oh yeah, and it's a bit ridiculous to claim there is too much spoken voice in this video* and also complain that the playing is 'decaff'** when it is simply there to demonstrate the concepts the video is about.

* Also ridiculous to make comment on the accent too.

** I gave up caffeine years ago anyway!
    Thanks, yeah this is just for classical counterpoint and related things. Those videos don’t do well on my main channel and I also wanted somewhere where I can be a bit rough with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    That is a nice sound, maybe one of those Strymon thingies?
    standard logic plugin. It’s a nice patch.

1. I find the playing in your jazz discussion vids, of which I have seen a few over the years, to be generally rather decaffeinated and definitely occupying a secondary role to a spoken voice which wouldn't entirely be out of place reading a sermon in a home counties village church.
    I could bust out my mockney if you think it would help ;-)

other than that, can’t please em all.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, youtube is not in general a good platform for playing. Mostly music does poorly there…. YouTube is about tutorials and video essays. If you want playing, people tend to post to Instagram (including me and peter.) that’s where the shred’s at ….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I could bust out my mockney if you think it would help ;-).
    Yes.

[smashes the subscribe button]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    For what it’s worth, I don’t mind the amount of talking in the videos. The subject matter tends to be a bit headier in Christians stuff and requires some explanation. If I’m going to be blunt, there are a lot of jazz YouTube channels out there where people show me lots of nice playing and I don’t learn anything. Christian’s I tend to learn something. Or at least think about something differently. I could be wrong but I think he’s sometimes aiming for a different subset of players than, say, Chris Whiteman or Jens Larsen. Nothing wrong with them either, by the way.
    Wot, on my channel of 36 subs? Audience may be pushing it haha

No but in general I don’t want to be the ‘beginner jazz guitar tutorial guy’. I think there’s a limit to how many subs I’ll get on that basis. I think I’ll carry on and make videos about things I am passionate about and even if no one watches them much, I’ve had fun making them…I notice if I polish things a little though, the reception seems better.

User Info Menu

I always enjoy your videos. I was additionally amused in past years by turning on closed captioning and the resulting hilarity of how it was interpreting you (partly because of the theory jargon content and partly your "accent"). It seems now closed captioning has improved (or your intelligibility to closed captioning and we hillbilly Americans).

User Info Menu

@pamosmusic - I didn't notice anything too heady, mostly stuff requiring time, practice and internalization. The usual things. Counterpoint is a great thing to work on, I think.

I don't agree at all with the premise that this is stuff one is working on, so it's going to sound in some way bland. As a listener, I want to be engaged, hear the brio, fluffs an' all; the talking should be complementary to it. This is obviously all just a personal stance, and should be taken as such. Not in the slightest interested in hearing "shred", by the way.

Oh, accent has nothing to do with it, that's not what I was on about; you should hear me (raised in Buckinghamshire)!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Yes.

[smashes the subscribe button]
    Pukkah

My eldest daughter has a strong south east london accent. I love that she spells ‘earth’ as ‘erf’ and pronounces ‘hotel’ as ‘hoteyull.’

she can give me lessons in how to tawk proppah

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I always enjoy your videos. I was additionally amused in past years by turning on closed captioning and the resulting hilarity of how it was interpreting you (partly because of the theory jargon content and partly your "accent"). It seems now closed captioning has improved (or your intelligibility to closed captioning and we hillbilly Americans).
    maybe that’s what I’m really saying, who knows?

User Info Menu

Having watched your videos was a great preparation for watching "This is England" without looking at the German subtitles LOL.

User Info Menu

Crikey. I’ve never seen that, but I don’t imagine it had many vicars from the Home Counties in it.

User Info Menu

We have a lot of difficult accents in England, but Christian's Home Counties type accent is extremely clear and easy to understand.

User Info Menu

I think I give Christian a hard time about the talking in his videos from time to time, but that's probably mostly my ADHD.

For something like this, I think it's totally appropriate...as I know jack shit about counterpoint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Crikey. I’ve never seen that, but I don’t imagine it had many vicars from the Home Counties in it.
    The movie and the series are rather mundane, your Reverence. And it is Midlands.

This Is England - Wikipedia

https://arteptweb-a.akamaihd.net/am/...Basb1CVuqX.mp4

This Is England (film series) - Wikipedia

This Is England - Series | ARTE in English

But honestly, because of the kind of music I used to listen to mostly for a long time I would rather understand an African-American from the Southern US states or an Jamaican rasta speaking patois than a Brit speaking dialect LOL. It is getting better now.

User Info Menu

What I find consistently interesting in Christian's demo/discussions is the way he ties together sounds and technical harmonic description and makes his demos sound like music. But then, much of my pleasure listening is renaissance, baroque, and early classical period material, so an invitation to see connections across historical periods and implementations of harmonic machineries is right up my street. I'm too unschooled to follow all of the explanations well, but my ears really enjoy the demonstrations.

I was also struck by how the "cascade" approach to ATTYA sounds like "Fly Me to the Moon." Or is that a well-known contrafact-like connection? (Or an artifact of my unschooled ears?) Then my ears wandered toward "My One and Only Love" and I was deep into the Great American Songbook weeds.

And as a Yank who spent some time north of the Tyne, I have no problems at all with Christian's English.