The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I think we should all start taking OPs posts with a grain of salt. Going from how do I tune to playing chord melody from the realbook in 3 weeks is absurd.

Or they could post a video and I’ll eat Ragman’s hat.
    Please keep off topic amateurish psychological speculation away from this thread.

If you manage to actually read and understand the tuning thread, you would see I didn't ask how to simply tune a guitar. I asked how you professional jazz musicians PERFECLTY tune a guitar. For instance if it's best tuned with cold strings, or warms. In other words a great detailed in depth explanation that normal tuning guides don't even think about. And which you guys didn't even agree amongst yourself, as you all had different rituals!

As for ragmans posts. His posts on my threads all gets deleted by mods, that or he removes them himself. Which is no surprise as it's nothing but a long tirade of off topic unserious boring speculations. I however did report that earlier post of his on this thread for the same reasons, and blocked that user. As I will not demean myself to answer personal attacks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpazz
    Please keep off topic amateurish psychological speculation away from this thread.

If you manage to actually read and understand the tuning thread, you would see I didn't ask how to simply tune a guitar. I asked how you professional jazz musicians PERFECLTY tune a guitar. For instance if it's best tuned with cold strings, or warms. In other words a great detailed in depth explanation that normal tuning guides don't even think about. And which you guys didn't even agree amongst yourself, as you all had different rituals!

As for ragmans posts. His posts on my threads all gets deleted by mods, that or he removes them himself. Which is no surprise as it's nothing but a long tirade of off topic unserious boring speculations. I however did report that earlier post of his on this thread for the same reasons, and blocked that user. As I will not demean myself to answer personal attacks.
    You still might consider posting something you’ve been working on. It would be helpful.

Sometimes it can be unclear from your questions what you’re hoping to learn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpazz

Well, let’s be clear that I’m not a professional. I live in rural America, like jazz and have a supportive wife who will stay with the kids while I go play music.

My point is, I’m a small fish in a smaller pond willing to lead a weekday jam night for peanuts. So take my advice accordingly.

Now that that’s covered. I’m not trying to attack you, and I’ll leave it alone. You’ll post something when you’re ready, or you never will, we have those types here too.

But I stand by my statement that you’ll get better advice if you post videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen

Or they could post a video and I’ll eat Ragman’s hat.
    I honestly hope you never have to eat my hat :-)

Where to go after shell voicings?-hat-jpg

User Info Menu

Oh well, into the valley of...

First, a reality check. I've deleted nothing. I've checked every thread jazzpazz has posted. I contributed at the beginning. All my posts are helpful, friendly, to the point, and accurate. They are good information. And they're still there. There are no diatribes and/or personal attacks.

The only post which has been deleted (by Dirk, not me) is that last one about how amazingly rapidly jazzpazz has apparently assimilated an absolute ton of complex information and, equally apparently, has taught himself chord melody in three weeks. And that was deleted because jazzpazz reported it.

Jazzpazz is making inaccurate, if not completely false, statements. The deleted post has now been supported by Allan, in my view quite rightly. It's impossible to learn chord melody in three weeks. In fact, it's a shorter time than that because the thread about chord melody was posted on the 10th, only 11 days ago.

Also, Allan is not the only person to suggest seeing a video of jazzpazz's chord melody capability. Someone else suggested it on another thread but I can't find it right now.

The video idea was never suggested to show poor jazzpazz up, incidentally. It was suggested so that posters could give more specific advice. Allan especially has reiterated that several times.

There are no personal attacks and never were. He's deluded. I just think he's off in a bit of a fantasy, that's all. But, you know, we can dream.

-------------------------

And I would ask Dirk NOT to delete this post as there is no personal attack and, further, it's true; it ought to be said. If it is deleted simply by request, jazzpazz might get the idea that Dirk is his own personal vehicle to get rid of things he doesn't like. And that's not on at all.

User Info Menu

I might delete it myself later after the point has been made. I don't like this nonsense any more than anybody else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    it’s also very useful to learn your chords off the D string

it’s very useful to practice
    2516 progressions
    as ‘sets’

start with any ii chord and find
    the nearest V chord
    (with the minimum finger moves)
    the nearest I chord
    and the nearest VI chord

and learn them as a usable ‘set’
    This 'usable set'thing is a very useful idea. I did basically the same I think a while back by figuring out how to the play the chords of autumn leaves in all 5 of the CAGED positions on the neck. E.g. pick one of the positions and play the chords keeping ur hand in that position. Autumn leaves is a good choice for this as it covers all 7 chords in the key.

User Info Menu

After Shell Voicing ? Total Voicing maybe !

User Info Menu

So one of my gigs was canceled... outside gig and is raining.... anyway one of the simple approaches to expand ones comping, can't remember what Jazzpazz said.... sophisticated chords or comping. Well I'm not that soph... etc... but I can comp....

So a somewhat standard traditional approach is to use "Diatonic Subs". There are a few ways to creates these subs...
    Up or down a Diatonic 3rd from the Target chord.
    ex... say a C-7 , a II- the chord up a diatonic 3rd would be Ebma7... use a Ebmaj9
    and down a diatonic 3rd would be A-7b5.

Anyway the next step is to expand those relationships.... expand the Sub. Here's an older vid I did for someone... it's using 1st 8 bars of Stella...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    5 x 5 5 3 x
    x 5 4 5 4 x
    3 x 4 4 5 x

for example

I'm a relative newb. But, what do these numbers represent?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpnblues
    Amin11
    D7b9
    GMaj13

User Info Menu

This method is used all the time instead of chord boxes, much easier.

There are six x's. Each x is a string, bottom to top.

An x means it's not played. A 0 means an open string. The numbers are frets (NOT fingers). So if you played an A minor chord it would look like this:

x02210

and a full F major bar chord looks like this:

NB: Bars with your first, or other, fingers aren't shown, like the F chord. You have to figure it out.

So a rootless D13 chord would look like this:

xx4557

You need to put your first finger bar across the 4th fret and your second finger across the G and B strings at the 5th fret. The top note you play with your pinky.

Try it out a bit and you'll get it.

(And the chords you asked about are exactly as Lionelsax said).

User Info Menu

Incidentally, it occurs to me some chords have notes muted within them. This a full F6 chord:

13x23x

The x on the 4th string means it's not played but it doesn't mean you have to work out a way of fingering around it! You still put the bar across the first fret but you have to mute the 4th string with your third finger when you strum the chord. And the top string is muted with your pinky.

It's not as hard as it looks.

User Info Menu

tab, low E to high E reading left to right

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    It’s easier to find chords on guitar than it is on piano
    Scooby Do would give his “Rug Ro” face to that.

Any experienced pianist has no problem finding or making any chord, trust me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Scooby Do would give his “Rug Ro” face to that.

Any experienced pianist has no problem finding or making any chord, trust me.
    I don’t think I said anything about experienced pianists having problems finding chords, but okay.

In context I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about the ease with which guitarists are able to quickly transpose.