The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

New video

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Definitely a step in the right direction in your (scrapbook?) videos: let the guitar do most of the talking. JMHO, and thanks for the useful content

User Info Menu

But never M7b9 :-)

Good vid. Like the pyjamas

User Info Menu

very good Christian

thanks !

User Info Menu

I guess the standard "go to" for wiping away the overly smiley sound of major 7th is the 69; same function in a darker more serious tone (but it is not a universal sub, there are a few tunes that use the maj7 and will not sound right if you use a 69).

Glad you skipped the obvious and squeezed on the maj7 itself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    I guess the standard "go to" for wiping away the overly smiley sound of major 7th is the 69; same function in a darker more serious tone (but it is not a universal sub, there are a few tunes that use the maj7 and will not sound right if you use a 69).

Glad you skipped the obvious and squeezed on the maj7 itself.
    Weird, I always feel the 6/9 is brighter than the major seventh..

User Info Menu

That is weird... like the optometrist switching lenses in the phoropter asking, "Better or worse...?"

Making major7 chords sound a bit cooler-better-jpg

Here is AI's list of jazz chord types ordered sounding happy to sad:

1. Major 7th (e.g., Cmaj7): Often perceived as bright and uplifting.
    2. Dominant 7th (e.g., C7): Provides a strong and energetic sound without being too tense.
    3. Major 6th (e.g., C6): Adds a sense of warmth and sweetness to the chord.
    4. Minor 7th (e.g., Cm7): Conveys a touch of melancholy and introspection.
    5. Dominant 9th (e.g., C9): Has a bluesy, jazzy feel that can be both joyful and soulful.
    6. Dominant 13th (e.g., C13): Offers a lush and rich sound, often implying a sense of longing or nostalgia.
    7. Half-diminished 7th (e.g., Cø7): Known for its somewhat ambiguous and mysterious quality.
    8. Altered Dominant (e.g., C7?9 or C7?11): Adds tension and dissonance, which can produce a hint of sadness or intensity.
    9. Diminished 7th (e.g., Co7): Carries a dark and unsettling feeling due to its dissonant nature.

User Info Menu

Beatrice is such a cool tune. Interesting idea to stay in F for most of it, and then NOT F

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    That is weird... like the optometrist switching lenses in the phoropter asking, "Better or worse...?"

Making major7 chords sound a bit cooler-better-jpg

Here is AI's list of jazz chord types ordered sounding happy to sad:

1. Major 7th (e.g., Cmaj7): Often perceived as bright and uplifting.
    2. Dominant 7th (e.g., C7): Provides a strong and energetic sound without being too tense.
    3. Major 6th (e.g., C6): Adds a sense of warmth and sweetness to the chord.
    4. Minor 7th (e.g., Cm7): Conveys a touch of melancholy and introspection.
    5. Dominant 9th (e.g., C9): Has a bluesy, jazzy feel that can be both joyful and soulful.
    6. Dominant 13th (e.g., C13): Offers a lush and rich sound, often implying a sense of longing or nostalgia.
    7. Half-diminished 7th (e.g., Cø7): Known for its somewhat ambiguous and mysterious quality.
    8. Altered Dominant (e.g., C7?9 or C7?11): Adds tension and dissonance, which can produce a hint of sadness or intensity.
    9. Diminished 7th (e.g., Co7): Carries a dark and unsettling feeling due to its dissonant nature.
    I will accept the judgement of our robot overlords

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Dem robot overlords never seen no minor sixth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I will not.

Rise up, Christian!

User Info Menu

Perhaps the brightest I chord?
    Might be variously described...

I 5add9addb11
    I sus2addb11

Ib 6sus4/I

IV# 11sus2/I