The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hello everyone,
    does anyone know if there is an accurate transcription of the miles davis version on Round midnight? Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This one from the ‘500 tunes the realbook missed’ fakebook looks reasonably accurate to me.

Dear Old Stockholm chords-img_0438-jpeg

mmm it is a Dmin7b13 on the vamp. you know the sort of scores I am talkin about. i transcribed PC still doesn't make sense to me-

User Info Menu

I’m not sure what you are trying to achieve, your thread title suggests you just want the chords, but now you seem to be saying you want a full score transcription of the recording? I don’t know of one.

Functionally (to me) the intro vamp is basically a Dm chord and a Dmb6 chord, if I’m thinking in terms of how to improvise over it.

As I recall, Paul Chambers plays some kind of pedal A bass figure under Red Garland’s piano chords during the intro, so you could put an A in the bass if you want to capture more of the flavour of the recording.

User Info Menu

Ok I see that the second bar of that chart should of course specify ‘flat 6’ rather than ‘-6’, I don’t much like that ‘minus sign’ useage, but I picked this chart because overall it gets the structure better than the other ones I’ve got.

There’s a Bb in the key signature on the chart so maybe that was meant to cover it.

It's difficult to get the right colors harmonically, I wanted something a little bit more precise compared to a fake book, thanks anyway grahmbop, really.

User Info Menu

Well it's a rainy afternoon here so I had a go at transcribing the bass and piano part in the first 4 bars. I'm not 100% sure about that A next to the Bb in the middle of Red Garland's chords, but it sounds like there's a 'rub' there which suggests it, anyway I like it! (I did slow it down in Audacity and tried all sorts of things to check it e.g. the spectrum analyzer but couldn't be certain).
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Graham, sounds good, but does he play a pick-up note in bars 2 and 4? I may be wrong.Dear Old Stockholm chords-untitled-jpg

User Info Menu

Interesting to hear what it sounded like before the jazzers got their hands on it!

Dear Old Stockholm - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Graham, sounds good, but does he play a pick-up note in bars 2 and 4? I may be wrong.Dear Old Stockholm chords-untitled-jpg
    yes I thought I heard a bass accent there but was in a bit of a hurry, decided not to worry about it too much. Really just trying to get the harmonies more than anything.

User Info Menu

There's a sound clip from 1916 on the Wiki page :-)

User Info Menu

Stan Getz did the first jazz version I believe (unless some Swedish jazzers did it before him, which is quite possible).

User Info Menu

It's a nice tune. I can see myself going round checking out different versions now!

Dear Old Stockholm chords-img_20230917_090713-jpg
    here there are,
    pedal Dmin section without much info
    I transcribed the original and the first fakesheet was right

User Info Menu

Yes I thought it was, before posting it I had listened to the recording while looking through it.

By the way, my transcription in post no. 7 has the intro vamp voicings if you need them.