The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey guys. Hope that you all like this lesson and get something out of it. Drop 3 's are on the channel as well. Enjoy!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yea anything from Mick... is detailed, thick and always helpful. He was wonderful musician.

Lairs sorry for stepping on your post...

That being said... when someone does the work for you it's never as effective as doing it yourself. Mick's material is not for most. Especially not for beginners.

Get the concept from his books and then go through the process yourself. Notating out the development of voicings.

I know I've said this many times....In the end.... you should put more time into getting..... Good at a few standard set of voicings for standard jazz chords.

And develop those into playing and using them up to the speed of jazz. Knowing everything just doesn't work for most. Then add more voicings later when you can play. It just doesn't work become good at playing in slow motion with too many options. Kind of like learning solos in slow motion... you develop becoming good at playing in slow motion. Jazz is not traditional music and requires a different approach.

If you still want to go in that direction... get some type of basic starting reference. By that I mean.... KNOW at least Root Position Diatonic 7th Chords from the Standard Scales... the old approach was to use the 3 minors reference,

Natural... aeolian minor
    Harmonic minor
    Melodic minor

Even though Dorian is same notes as Aeolian... it's good to also use. With jazz... Dorian and MM work well together, like Aeolian and Harmonic minor.

So you end up with 7 diatonic 7th chords from each.... that's 21 chords from the 3 minors
    On guitar you usually start with Rt 6, Rt 5 and Rt 4 chords. That becomes 63 voicings.

That is the starting point... the basic starting reference on guitar for playing jazz.

Once you can play any of those voicings anywhere on the fretboard..... start adding all the other BS.

Again.... in the end.... your going to end up with a set of voicings that you like and learn to be able to play the shit out of them. Basically the rest will be useless.

I was at Berklee when Pat and Mick were there... they were not normal, like the rest of us.

I'm around for awhile and will start a new version of my old thread... "Live at the Speed of Jazz". Just need to decide where.... again sorry Liars.

User Info Menu

No worries a out stepping on my thread Reg. You said nice things about my playing a while ago so you are more than welcome.

As usual you make a lot of sense but for me the almanacs are all about new opportunity, new explorations in harmony.

I love the three part 4th and am a fan of cluster chords but I'm using them in my own little compositions with the aim of writing longer pieces.

It's just another side of the coin. One day I'll play this stuff live but I'll have to keep playing the usuals atm.

Here's a little ditty that I came up with and actually like

User Info Menu

Thanks .... beautiful little ditty, as you called it. Catchy, I checked it all out to hear where it was going. Nice... more in classical or traditional style... not Jazzy, Not bad etc.... Very nice. I checked out the MGH channel.... cool.

But yea... solo playing or even duos, anything goes and the more you can do... the better. But typical playing in jazz styles with ensembles is a very different style. While I also like clusters, tight voicings and dissonant intervals, all the effects etc.... There are just very physical guidelines for what works when performing.

I generally can comp with... lots of movement and complex chord patterns...expand harmonic references... only because I have comping chops and very developed rhythmic skills. But generally keep it pretty simple and use harmonic rhythm with longer sections of space to help create that feeling of "simple". ( I lock in to longer implied pockets) And basically create "live"... I react to what's going on with ensemble..... or help get the music or ensemble going etc... It's different every time... LOL. I crash and burn once in a while, but it's fun and creates great entertainment. I mean we're not saving lives, right, just helping people enjoy life etc.

Again thanks for space and also vid... keep them comin. I'll move on keep checkin in.
    Reg

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg. Yeah, we have different styles alright. I was never a straight ahead jazz player but I like how my style has evolved into a mix between jazz/classical or whatever people want to call it. Love those dissonant sounds.

Not saving lives but having fun and oh what fun it is.

Thanks again