The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17
    I've got a big band gig coming up and one of the tunes we are doing is at 320 BPM. There are only 1 or 2 chords per bar, so the left hand isn't a big deal. But the right hand has me thinking. This tempo seems too fast to play 4 down stroke chord comps per beat. I'm experimenting using up-down-up-down, but it definitely has a different vibe that I'm not thrilled with. Another approach would be to play half notes instead of quarter notes, which to my ears sounds ok. There's not really a guitar I can hear on the original recording. You can hear it and play along below.

If you want to try it out the changes for the first part of the song are:

4 bars drum into

|F6 | | | |
    |F6 | | | |
    |Cm7 | | | |
    |F6 | | | |
    |Cm7 |F7 |Cm7 |F7 |
    |Bbm7 |F/A |Gm7 |FM7 Fm7 |
    |Bbm7 |D7b9| | |
    |Gm7 |Am7 |BbM7|F/A |
    |Gm7 | | |C7 |

|F6 | | | |
    |F6 | | | |
    |Cm7 | | | |
    |Cm7 |F7 |Cm7 |F7 |
    |Bbm7 |F/A |Gm7 |FM7 Fm7 |
    |Bbm7 |A7 D7b9| | |
    |Gm7 |Am7 |Gm7 |Em7 A7 |
    |Dm7 |Gm7 C7 |.....

Last edited by SwingSwangSwung; 11-22-2016 at 08:09 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It become more of a two step at that tempo surely? Boom chick boom chick, but all downstrokes.

It's doable though. Just keep your hand and arm relaxed (ha! Easier said than done) and feel the tempo in cut time. I frequently play swing rhythm at these tempos and while I'd prefer not to play a set of them, it seems ok.

Here's some inspiration from the GJ world. Check out the rhythm dude

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It become more of a two step at that tempo surely? Boom chick boom chick, but all downstrokes.

It's doable though. Just keep your hand and arm relaxed (ha! Easier said than done) and feel the tempo in cut time. I frequently play swing rhythm at these tempos and while I'd prefer not to play a set of them, it seems ok.

Here's some inspiration from the GJ world. Check out the rhythm dude

Dont particularly care about gypsy jazz, but I'm crushing HARD for the top on that guitar...

Must, not, buy.... Another.....

User Info Menu

Try Freddie style one note chords on beats 2 and 3 only.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Dont particularly care about gypsy jazz, but I'm crushing HARD for the top on that guitar...

Must, not, buy.... Another.....
    Do it

User Info Menu

Or triplets.

User Info Menu

The main thing is not to get in the way, or they'll kill you!
    I'd do down strokes on one and three, using the FG voicings.

User Info Menu

One and three? Really?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    One and three? Really?
    At that tempo, I'd be satisfied with playing only on beat one!

Actually, if you read the Freddie Green paper, one of the conclusions is that you have to have a good 1 and 3 in that style before you can do anything else.

User Info Menu

Sure, but playing only 1 and 3? I'd have the hear it!

User Info Menu

Well, might as well actually try it: have a laugh, I opened a good bottle of wine and then my wife decided she wasn't in the mood for red...so...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee
    Now, for some reason I want to hear 'For Once in My Life' done big band style at this tempo.
    Man...

That has to be one of the best songs of all time...can you imagine the brass hits on the part the backup vocals took right before Stevie's harmonica solo?.."some-one who needs meeeeeeee!" Damn!

I'm sure Buble or some lame ass has done this...I'm afraid to look.

User Info Menu

Yep... thought so.

Way to suck all of the life and fun out of a tune. Man, he blows.

OK, I worked this up to where I could all four beats with down strokes throughout the song, but we had our rhythm section rehearsal last night (full band rehearsal and show #1 today/tonight) and the band leader asked me to play

|one |one - three |one |one - three |....

My right wrist is thankful - and it sounds better on this tune than playing all 4 beats.

And it's show time...comping in action. Man this horn section is HOT!

320 BPM Big Band tune - all down strokes on comping?-rushlow-franklin-theatre-jpg

User Info Menu

I'd play mainly 2 and 4 on that Bobby Darrin thing.

User Info Menu

Not speaking from much experience on this particular issue, but if you are comping with "1 note voicings" which may make sense at this tempo anyway, then with a little finesse and practice you can probably get the timbre you want with any combo of down/up strokes, maybe even doing mostly down but switching it up if you get tired.

Don't have a guitar with me at the moment, but, and I'm not sure why, I'd find this kind of thing easier 'strumming' with my right hand finger or nail rather than having to move a pick back and forth.