Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 77 of 77

User Info Menu

Thanks Larry.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

I read somewhere that Fletcher Henderson was the originator of block chord sectional writing (I think it was an interview with Gil Evans, who was saying that he was very much breaking from that tradition) - any Big Band buffs able to expand on/correct me on that?
    I think Wes may have tried to emulate Milt Buckner's locked hands block chord approach. Supposedly, among jazz pianists and organists, Buckner is cited for his influence on George Shearing, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Red Garland and others. Buckner was with Lionel Hampton as was Wes. Possibly at different times.

I think Wes may have also played on some Dinah Washington dates where Buckner was the arranger and pianist. Milt was known to solo in block chords in a 2 hand (locked) style which had the melody in octaves and closer harmony in between. Bill Evans did an amended less dense version with his left hand unlocked and the right playing the highest melody. Red Garland's version is quite different. It has parallel 5ths across the board and is much thicker (dense) voicings.

Here is an article that originally appeared in Downbeat Magazine discussing the history of block chord styles on piano.

https://champianfulton.wordpress.com...hord-language/

Attached Images Attached Images Wes Montgomery scale harmonisation-downbeat-article-block-chords-jpeg-jpg 
    Last edited by ChuckCorbis; 05-30-2016 at 06:05 AM.