The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Wayne Wright. Here with Ruby Braff and George Barnes

Last edited by gcb; 05-08-2016 at 09:33 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zakk J.
    That;s the first time I've heard Bickert. He makes that Tele sound fantastic.

User Info Menu

Here's Frank Vignola with Mark O'Connor and Wynton Marsalis, doing "Limehouse Blues"

User Info Menu

not seen this before , s'wonderful thanks

User Info Menu

Jim Hall and Herbie Hancock are my favorite compers in combos (especially, good grief, Jim Hall with Art Farmer and Herbie with Wayne Shorter. Just so, so perfect).

Gene Bertoncini does such a wonderful, delightful way of comping singers as a solo backup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    That;s the first time I've heard Bickert.
    WHAAAAAT????

Oh man, let me know if you need album suggestions. You're in for some fun now!

User Info Menu

jim hall accompanying paul desmond - you can hear every string - often using one note. and with bill evans too - i love his 4 in the bar on the bill evans records.

wes - certainly the grooviest. fabulous repeating blues figures as chordal accompaniments etc.

i love barry harris with dexter gordon too

duke jordan with charlie parker - many of his intros, for example, are just wonderful.

User Info Menu

Really like Bucky Pizzarelli as a comper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    WHAAAAAT????

Hit me.

User Info Menu

I really like Bobby Broom's comping. I heard him on a (I think) Joe Henderson album. He had a lot of good variety, but managed to convey the changes clearly and interestingly.

My favorite comper is a local guy: Jamie Stewardson. I liked his comping so much I took a few lessons with him. Really helped a lot.

Last edited by Boston Joe; 05-09-2016 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Barry Harris with anybody.

Jim Hall, especially with Sonny Rollins & Paul Desmond.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    WHAAAAAT????

Listening to "Out of the Past" now. Man he swings like crazy, and he's got tremendous tone.

User Info Menu

Wynton Kelly and Tommy Flanagan on piano.
    On guitar I really like Charlie Byrd.

User Info Menu

I think this is an absolute masterclass on accompaniment by Rene Thomas:

User Info Menu

John Pisano gets my vote.

User Info Menu

For me, Ron Eschete is the man for comping, or Ed Bickert or Howard Alden. All are truly amazing masters of their instrument.

wiz (Howie)

User Info Menu

I don't know Ron Escheté.
    Can you advise a recording where he comps behind a horn solist ?

User Info Menu

Have been in awe of Mr Bickert's total musicality since I first heard him.

User Info Menu

Lots of the greats already mentioned. I'll add another, Herb Ellis.

Here he is doing a fast blues (Wes' "Naptown Blues") with Oscar Peterson. This was after Herb left the trio and Oscar went with a drummer. This album ("Hello, Herbie") was a re-union and this track kicked it off. Herb solos first and does a few comp-choruses in it, then does a lot of comping for Oscar.

User Info Menu

Listen to I hear a Song Coming On by Sonny Rollins with Clifford Brown, Max Roach, and, the point of this, Richie Powell.

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert would haven been my first vote too.

My second would be Tuck Andress.

He doesn't play in the usual jazz-settings, but this guy really knows his thing...

Musicality and Virtuosity at its best!

User Info Menu

Silvain Luc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    +1
    I can hear the Bass quite well in the Lage Lund clip...often Bass sounds too low in the Mix...

Bickert's Comping is so complete and I like his Tele crisp like this...really nice sense of time ...the whole Band drops out and he comps for the Soloist and it's a different flavor but nothing is missing !

Is this advanced comping done by hearing the melodic line on top then filling it in ?
    Chord Melody Comping...kinda ?

Tuck Andress sounds in that Vid like he's trying to do a 'Jazzified Hendrix ' thing almost...but it could be tightened up a lot using pick and fingers Hybrid or a more
    Flamenco or Classical right hand...IMO still a cool very "open" approach...in between everything.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 07-23-2016 at 11:05 AM.

User Info Menu

I love Metheny's comping on this tune -- starting at 2:25 (not to mention his soloing, etc.):