The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29
    Chris '77,

Bruce got me started on set theory today. Me, a guy who loves trad jazz and hard bop... And it is so fereakering intahrastin.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bleurgh set theory. No sorry man, leaves me cold - I saw a book of it analysing works by Webern etc and though - if I wanted maths I'd have stayed in Astrophysics.... But if you can make music out of it and it appeals to you - great! Maybe I'll be swayed in the years to come.

I did the self edit - so not sure if you saw my question Irez87 - I was wondering if you find that the click tends to confirm whether or not you are already in the 'space' rather than helping you into it? I always find I do better on slow click exercises after going through the Longo warm up rather than before...

Not quite sure what you mean. I find that I need to immerse myself in the click before I can really hear the space, so it takes a straight half hour of listening to the time studies before I truly get in the space. Either that, or go crazy from the clicks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Not quite sure what you mean. I find that I need to immerse myself in the click before I can really hear the space, so it takes a straight half hour of listening to the time studies before I truly get in the space. Either that, or go crazy from the clicks.
    I can see how that would help. I usually just dive in and play. However, I think that might do my head in a bit as we say in the UK. I might give it a go though....