The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Could someone help me with the chords to Steve Jordan's arrangement of this song? I am getting some of it, but missing a lot.

Steve

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

destinytot Guest
    Fabulous clip. Which part(s) aren't you getting? I'll gladly have a look in a day or so.

User Info Menu

Glad you like it and thanks for the offer to help! I have virtually nothing. I bought the original sheet music off of eBay. It is written for piano and ukulele in the key of F.

The chords are:
    F Dm Bflatm C7 F F#dim Dflat7 Gm7 C7 F Fm7 Bflatm C7 F Dm Bflatm C7 F C#dim Dm F#m
    \\ \\ \\ \\ \\\\ \\ \\ \\\\\\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\\ \\ \ \\\ \

Steve Jordan seems to start with Em7 ? x77987 - x77977 sliding up an down the neck, plays a lot of chords I can't get, except an F shaped chord on the 5th fret, and starts the song with G9 at the 9th fret

I watched it at half speed, but I am terrible at this.

Steve
    Last edited by Slide; 07-29-2015 at 10:01 PM.

User Info Menu

If you like this stuff, get a hold of a copy of Here Comes Mr. Jordan. One of my favourite records.

User Info Menu

Richard,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered the CD Here Comes Mr. Jordan. I also discovered Marty Grosz on Youtube last night I like him too.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Slide
    Glad you like it and thanks for the offer to help! I have virtually nothing. I bought the original sheet music off of eBay. It is written for piano and ukulele in the key of F.

The chords are:
    F Dm Bflatm C7 F F#dim Dflat7 Gm7 C7 F Fm7 Bflatm C7 F Dm Bflatm C7 F C#dim Dm F#m
    \\ \\ \\ \\ \\\\ \\ \\ \\\\\\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\ \\\ \\ \ \\\ \

Steve Jordan seems to start with Em7 ? x77987 - x77977 sliding up an down the neck, plays a lot of chords I can't get, except an F shaped chord on the 5th fret, and starts the song with G9 at the 9th fret

I watched it at half speed, but I am terrible at this.

Steve
    I'll make a video tomorrow. It'll be at least close to what he's doing (and a pleasure for me). BTW, Marty's my main man.

User Info Menu

Could someone help me with the chords to Steve Jordan's arrangement of this song? I am getting some of it, but missing a lot.

Steve
    Wow, i like this style of jazz guitar! No BS just great swing rhythm, and he doesn't use too many different shapes if I can tell, a lot of 9th, 6/9, 13th, nothing fancy, but he moves them so fast with chromatic steps that he creates a lot of motion. I bet he is an excellent tenor banjo player as well!

destinytot Guest
    Thank you so much!! This is very helpful. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

I am working on it and writing down the chords. I think with your videos and instruction I can play a simplified version of the song.

Steve
    That's great - and I'm very pleased! If you have any questions, let me know. I''m very glad to help where i can.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Wow, i like this style of jazz guitar! No BS just great swing rhythm, and he doesn't use too many different shapes if I can tell, a lot of 9th, 6/9, 13th, nothing fancy, but he moves them so fast with chromatic steps that he creates a lot of motion. I bet he is an excellent tenor banjo player as well!
    +1
    After watching that video, I adjusted the strap on my 18" archtop. I can get that playing position when sitting, and standing - well...

User Info Menu

Richard,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered the CD Here Comes Mr. Jordan. I also discovered Marty Grosz on Youtube last night I like him too.
    Hi, how did you like the album?

I have a few albums on which Steve Jordan is a sideman with leaders like Benny Goodman, Vic Dickenson, Ruby Braff, and Buck Clayton. "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" his only official opus as a leader, but there are other recordings available. After this thread, I ordered the three CDs and the DVD available here. I am very happy with them. They are not professional recordings, but the sound is good enough and being solo, duets or trios, these are a great opportunity to listen to his playing some more.

I also got the book Rhythm Man: Fifty Years in Jazz. I have not had the time to read it yet, but I browsed through and it looks like a good read.

User Info Menu

I love the album/CD. I did not know that a DVD was available, thanks for the link. I just ordered it. I will probably also order the book Rhythm Man Fifty Years in Jazz.

Destinytot was so generous in making the videos for me which gave me a start on how to play "I Go For That." I later paid someone to transcribe the whole song. I don't have it down yet, but I am working on it.

Steve

destinytot Guest
    Destinytot was so generous in making the videos for me which gave me a start on how to play "I Go For That."
    That's very kind of you! I got a huge amount out of the process of looking/listening closely; it helped me get clear about two different approaches to picking on two very different guitars - one of which (a small hollow-body) I acquired soon after posting here.

Moreover, I'm now thinking about using my 18" archtop (which has a floating pick-up) as an acoustic instrument on gigs. I've lowered the tuning on my nylon (to suit the lower-end of my vocal range), and I'm seriously considering doing the same with my 18" archtop.

What I like about Steve Jordan's (and Marty Grosz's) approach is how, above all, they keep the songs/music 'fun' - in ways that listeners respond to. Whether I'm playing melody or accompaniment, I want to do the same - engage listeners (without 'clowning') - but in my own way.

Developing a clear understanding of how to go about this has become the most important 'work'.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    After this thread, I ordered the three CDs and the DVD available here. I am very happy with them. They are not professional recordings, but the sound is good enough and being solo, duets or trios, these are a great opportunity to listen to his playing some more.
    Postage costs to Europe almost match the combined price of the three CDs and the DVD, but their value exceeds both by far - so I'm ordering these tomorrow. As Zero Mostel says in The Producers, "I've been very good, and I think I deserve a treat!" (That's my story - and I'm sticking to it!)

destinytot Guest
    Yay! This music is instant sunshine!
    I Go For That - Steve Jordan-steve-jordan-jpg

User Info Menu

As a kid I took lessons for several years in my parents' living room from Eddie Hazell. I didn't like jazz at that time, so I didn't get nearly as much out of those lessons as I should have, but I was a teenager and thought I knew everything.

Anyway, here is his version.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    As a kid I took lessons for several years in my parents' living room from Eddie Hazell. I didn't like jazz at that time, so I didn't get nearly as much out of those lessons as I should have, but I was a teenager and thought I knew everything.

Anyway, here is his version.
    I couldn't open that YouTube link (perhaps I'm on the wrong side of the pond), but I was able to listen on Spotify.

After hearing Mr Jordan do his thing, I think Eddie Hazell was wise to take it in another direction - sounds like a great live show.

On the other hand, 'some like it hot'... and 'I go for that'!