The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72
    destinytot Guest
    "BOSSA NOVA

Bossa Nova (New Way) was the whisper heard around the world. It was created during the sixties by a small group of Rio-based intellectuals, mostly poets and songwriters, and took the country, and later the world, by storm. Although it was and remains a much-loved style, it never displaced the Samba at home. But to many foreigners, the cool yet sultry strains of the Bossa Nova still mean "Brazil".

The major ringleaders of the movement were Antonio Carlos (Tom) Jobim, Luiz Bonfa, Vinicius de Moraes, Oscar Castro-Neves , and Ary Barroso. They needed a more reflective yet subtly swinging sound to mesh with their highly allusive poetry and Carioca (born in Rio, although not all of them were) sensibilities. They were intrigued by French existentialism, and some of them, notably Jobim, were conservatory trained. Soon every nightclub in Ipanema featured solitary singer-guitarists or small ensembles clad in neat dark suits, playing their restrained and sophisticated melodies for enthralled audiences, among whom were visiting American jazz musicians.

The Bossa Nova reached American ears after it was lionized by the jazz community. Astrud Gilberto, the young wife of the well-known Bahia-born Bossa Nova singer-guitarist Joao Gilberto, frequently sang to her children in the nursery. Prevailed upon by her husband to sing (or some would say, murmur) in public, she recorded her demure English version of "Garota de Ipanema" ("The Girl From Ipanema") with Stan Getz, and the rest is history. Would-be swingers throughout the world baited their lairs with Bossa Nova and wines of dubious vintage, and entertainment conglomerates took notice. Bossa Nova, along with insinuating, pointless saxophone solos, became a metaphor for seduction in popular culture.

Fragile but powerful, sexy yet austere, the Bossa Nova is highly accessible to the listener but can be murder to perform, with its off-center rhythms and tricky tunings. Aside from the seminal figures already mentioned above, whose output is crucial to appreciating Bossa Nova, recordings by Elizeth Cardozo, Sylvia Telles, Miucha, Maysa, Quarteto Em Cy (a vocal ensemble), and Leny Andrade are worth searching for. Elis Regina also had an instinctive command of this style, and her album dedicated to Tom Jobim's music, "Elis And Tom", is magnificent. Many younger artists, even those who initially rebelled against the chilled-out Bossa Nova esthetic, are now exploring this aspect of Brazil's musical heritage. Leila Pinheiro is an especially intuitive interpreter. Tropicalia diva Gal Costa 's "Aquarela Do Brasil", her tribute to the songs of Ary Barroso, is not to be missed. Latter-day covers and collaborations with non-Brazilians should be viewed with a degree of caution, as they can be awash in layers of gooey sentiment." (from The Roots of Brasil )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Leny Andrade and Romero. No searching required!

Last edited by richb2; 04-19-2015 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by richb2
    Leny Andrade and Romero.
    Astounding!... Really nice...

User Info Menu

Really...

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention it but Romero teaches online too. Here is his website:

The Lubambo Method - Global Guitar Lessons

I am starting to feel like a Romero commercial.
    Last edited by richb2; 04-20-2015 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I love Romero's bossa nova playing... but man, that vid was a train wreck. He has tons of great vids... Bluesette in 4/4 as a samba, a very rubato samba, wasn't best example.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I love Romero's bossa nova playing... but man, that vid was a train wreck. He has tons of great vids... Bluesette in 4/4 as a samba, a very rubato samba, wasn't best example.
    thought the same thing, thats not the best teaser imaginable... ;-)

User Info Menu

I actually posted it because of Leny Andrade.

manly or not - a choice is a choice, made by the one who chooses... ;-)

PS: indeed, I was working all over Asia for years, and Japanese elevators were a speciality of mine...

User Info Menu

All the intellect aside... I tend to find that most musicians who have difficulty playing different styles of music, or just music in general.... usually have problems with feels from not having somewhat basic rhythmic understandings and skills.

The actual notes and organization of them usually isn't that complicated... it's the rhythmic performance of the notes.

User Info Menu

Just for fun...

User Info Menu

Further along an above line of discussion ...

no need to have a Brazilian passport to play very good Brazilian Guitar, and even sing Bossa Nova in Brazilian ...

Probably my preferred version of the song

Last edited by mhch; 04-22-2015 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Some nice lessons by Roberto Lubambo, where he talks about brazilian rhythms :

Last edited by Nabil B; 04-22-2015 at 12:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mhch
    Further along an above line of discussion ...

no need to have a Brazilian passport to play very good Brazilian Guitar, and even sing Bossa Nova in Brazilian ...

Probably my preferred version of the song

Well done! Love the Japanese accent!
    ... and he plays Bossa much better than me!
    Last edited by Campos; 04-22-2015 at 12:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Still looking at the Girl from Ipanema.

My bass player keeps telling me, before even picking up a guitar I need to be able to tap out 3 - 2 and 2 -3 clave patterns using hands or sticks. I am trying to both at the same time. I am not quite there yet.

Danielle

no guitar here, and no samba... but nevertheless a great example how 'that groove' can flow, and how difficult it is to break into the patterns...

User Info Menu

Yea good vid... you want to play latin... learn how to feel accents on and off "4"... phrasing that begins, on and off beat 4.

User Info Menu

Personally I don't see or hear any problems with jazz players playing latin music or latin players playing jazz. I like the results of the combination.

rcandro... nice vids of tunes on your web site. Brazilian music is beautiful. Generally it does seem to be more about the vocals and words, as compared to the music, although they both, jazz and brazilian have a common tie to dance.

destinytot Guest
    An all-time fave.
    Last edited by Dirk; 01-10-2019 at 05:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I'm sure you're right about the rhythm, but what still speaks to me after all these years is the guitar solo @02:35 in the first clip.
    Hi Mike,
    Unconsciously I was rude to you and I sincerely apologize. The comment was not about you. When I wrote I was thinking why the composer thought this song could have some resemblance to samba. Curiously, the only thing I enjoyed was the solo part.

My bad. I'm sorry.

destinytot Guest
    For me, it doesn't get any better than this. Travel broadens the mind and widens our horizons.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rcandro
    Hi Mike,
    Unconsciously I was rude to you and I sincerely apologize. The comment was not about you. When I wrote I was thinking why the composer thought this song could have some resemblance to samba. Curiously, the only thing I enjoyed was the solo part.

My bad. I'm sorry.
    I appreciate the noble sentiment - thank you! - but I didn't find your comment rude.