The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Great post Navdeep.

I've also been putting these two-note shell voicings through the paces. I've found it useful to play through all the tunes I know. As I'm sure you've also noticed, there are two "flavors" for a song (or progression) on each two-string set. For example, with a C maj 7 chord, I need to play E and B. If I want to do that on strings 4 and 5, I can play B on the bottom and E on the top (a perfect fourth) or E on the bottom and B on the top (a fifth). Minor chords and half diminished chords have the same intervals, while dominants have tritones/augmented fourths and diminished fifths.

If I'm basically staying in one area, the vi/vii/I/ and ii might have one flavor, while the ii/IV/V have another. I can play the whole progression with one group of those flavorings, or move up the neck and play with the other. If I'm adding melody on top, that obviously helps dictate where to go.

Finally, I've noticed that Tim often favors the perfect fourth "flavor" and bars it with one finger, leaving three fingers for the melody.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i tend to use P4 rather than P5 for minor7 and major7 i find the P5 somehow less inviting.
    Of course Dim5 for Dom7 and Diminished.
    I also quite frequently use dim5 (root and b5) for min7b5.
    A few other faves are
    Dim5 with 6 and b3 for min6
    P4 with 3 and 6 for major sounds
    P4 with 6 and 9 for major sounds
    P4 with 4 and b7 for min7 or sometimes 4b7b3 in a stack
    A cluster of 49b3 for min9
    maj 3rd with 7 and b3 for min/maj7
    maj 3 with 5 and 7 for maj7
    i love major and minor 6th for double stop melodies (perhaps another subject entirely)
    lots to explore right?
    all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Tim, that was beautiful! This class is definitely on my "to-get" list. I'm putting it on high priority.
    Is this tune on one of the Master Class instructional dvds?

Thanks for the vid.
    Hi EDH, no this tune is just one i did the other day sorry.

User Info Menu

Glad to read your comments on this thread, Tim.
    Your advices all are very very useful.

The level bar is set very high, I will need many months (many years?) to approach it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    lots to explore right?
    all the best
    Tim
    For sure--Thanks so much for the very helpful extra info!