The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Really doing the woodshedding lately on 251/1625 material, lines and chordal.

I'd like to compile a list of songs that have a high number of these progressions within them.

I'll start.

1) Cherokee

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2) Moments Notice
    3) Minority

User Info Menu

Here's a few that have at least 2 or 3 ii-Vs in them.

Afternoon in Paris - long and short ii-Vs

Stella By Starlight - starts off with 3 ii-Vs

Tune Up - 3 different ii-Vs

Algo Bueno/Woody N' You - minor ii-Vs descending in whole steps resolving to a major chord

Autumn Leaves and Fly Me to the Moon - ii-Vs in relative major/minor

Blue Bossa - ii-Vs in major and minor

Lady Bird - several ii-Vs resolving in different ways, plus the classic "Dameron" turnaround

Goes w/o saying, but for maximum key practice coverage, one could always just shed one or more tunes in various keys.

User Info Menu

Have You Met Miss Jones?

User Info Menu

All The Things You Are covers quite a few.

User Info Menu

fly me to the moon

---oops didn't see someone already had it above...

User Info Menu

Jazz standards that DON'T feature ii-V-Is would be a shorter list...

User Info Menu

Fried Bananas.
    Elucidation.
    Along Came Betty.
    Star Eyes.

User Info Menu

Blue moon
    I've got rhythm

User Info Menu

Might be a good idea to work on tunes with consecutive ii-Vs at different interval distances. You mentioned Cherokee where they are a tone apart at the bridge. How about chromatic ii-Vs of the bridge in The Eternal Triangle and the blowing section of West Coast Blues or the major third relationships in Have You Met Miss Jones and Giant Steps?

User Info Menu

the one that really makes a good study is I Got Rhythm with all the substitute changes you can think of

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller
    the one that really makes a good study is I Got Rhythm with all the substitute changes you can think of
    It's possible to argue that Rhythm Changes is harmonically nothing but a 1625 progression. Even the bridge is an expanded version with dominant chords throughout and a III sub for the I.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    It's possible to argue that Rhythm Changes is harmonically nothing but a 1625 progression. Even the bridge is an expanded version with dominant chords throughout and a III sub for the I.
    that's why its such a good study. Plus there's a lot of common substitutions for the basic chords that use ii-Vs in cycles and with tritone subs

User Info Menu

Satin Doll

User Info Menu

The Song is You

User Info Menu

Woody'n You: A-part is decending minor II-V chords, B-part is a couple of major II-V-Is.

Invitation: lots of II-Vs, the 2nd part is a long string of decending II-V chords

Blues For Alice: a couple very fast II-Vs (à la West Coast Blues)

User Info Menu

Confirmation, just an expanded Blues For Alice

User Info Menu

I agree about Invitation, that is a fantastic song to work on your ii-V's. Jaco's version of this with Hiram Bullock is great.