The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

In a more commercial sense, this is 'slugging';

IMO neo-soul in part was a reaction to the rigid beats that were becoming prevalent in 80's R&B. It's also a conscience attempt to break the rules harmonically.
    Do a vamp of Emaj7-Gmaj7. That kind of thing.
    I think it's fusion. Fusion was a collection of guidelines. Make up your own.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Q: So you were a bebopper?
    Jamerson: More or less. Barry Harris was the one who taught me the theory of how to play jazz."
    A Long Ago Talk with a Legendary Bass Player; Motown's James Jamerson - Part I

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    "Q: So you were a bebopper?
    Jamerson: More or less. Barry Harris was the one who taught me the theory of how to play jazz."
    A Long Ago Talk with a Legendary Bass Player; Motown's James Jamerson - Part I
    Dug up Part 2;

A Long Ago Talk with Legendary Motown Bass Player James Jamerson - Part 2

User Info Menu

You do the Neo Soul thing after you got your Gospel chops (tm)
    .. neo-Gospel chops.. mind it

User Info Menu

Neo Soul is more a keyboard vibe no?
    Funny thing actually... sometimes I like noodling around gospel, soul, neo-soul, new-neo-soul and new-soul-nouveau..

but I do it only on keyboards... I adopted (or tried to adopt) some of gospel blues/soul guitar vibes and chops... cool thing... expressive.. but then I do not know what to do with that except applying to some funky comping..

but with keyboards really seem to be more versatile in these styles... you can easily adopt it to other styles... all these arpeggiated lush chords - bass lines...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos

For me, it's not that I intend to play the style; nor do I even listen to much of it.
    Don't let me stop you though!

But some of the harmonic and melodic devices used (especially from the piano players) catch my ear. When something like that happens, regardless of the genre, I typically want to learn a bit more about it.
    Absolutely. There's definitely some VERY interesting stuff going on.

In case you're interested in hearing what's coming from professionals, have a listen to this when you have a chance. Note that this style comes from a musical and cultural genealogy that connects jazz to funk, to rnb, to gospel, to hip hop, and recently back to jazz. Much of the jazz-oriented movement in the genre come from musicians that wrote/produced hip hop in the 90s and have lately been working more directly under the label of 'jazz'.

I am familiar with, and very much like, RG, but the stuff on guitar can be a bit of a different animal. Yeah I mean you hear the gospel piano influence in tons of straight ahead players like Keith Jarrett.

Back on the guitar, I'm really not judging it at all, just more commenting on my ignorance of it, and the time/place that it seems to be becoming popular. An amatuer-ish young guitarist that has caught my attention is this guy Paul Castelluzzo