The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Hi Joe and Randall,
    You are right about overlooking a mistake or two. However, I think that it is incumbent on the author
    to call the correction to a reader who contacts him [or her] inquiring on the incorrect spelling of a
    chord [or any other mistake].
    One fellow who wrote to me suggested that he contacted Mr. Green. Andrew Green's answer was "no
    else contacted me regarding this error". This to me is a very poor excuse for a mistake whether
    it is overlooked in proof reading or printing. Both the writer and publisher bear a responsibility for
    the correctness of the information contained in the publication of the material.
    Look- I meant no harm in what I wrote. I don't even know Andrew Green! All I am saying is that
    a reader who has little or no knowledge of the subject assumes the
    correctness of the information that is contained in a book. ie. . If the reader doesn't know the
    correct spelling of a chord and the chord is spelled incorrectly in a book, he assumes that the chord
    is spelled correctly. In my opinion, this is wrong and very misleading to a novice who tries to learn
    from printed information.
    Joe

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imjoe
    Hi Joe and Randall,

One fellow who wrote to me suggested that he contacted Mr. Green. Andrew Green's answer was "no
    else contacted me regarding this error". This to me is a very poor excuse for a mistake whether
    it is overlooked in proof reading or printing. Both the writer and publisher bear a responsibility for
    the correctness of the information contained in the publication of the material.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. It may well have been the first time that Mr. Green had been informed of the error. When I finish a book, I pretty much never look at it again, so I'm not going to catch an error unless someone tells me it's there.

A number of years ago, I wrote a very basic book about programming. I made a basic mistake very early on in the book. A number of people wrote to me saying that the example I'd given didn't work when they tried it. So I debugged it, and emailed the correct example to the people who wrote to me. I had no control over the printed copies that were already in existence. If the publisher had wanted to do another edition, I could have fixed the error in the second edition, but without doing that, there's nothing I can do.

Was I responsible for the misinformation? Sure. But what could I do about it?

User Info Menu

i am really glad that i have found this site as this is helping me answer a lot of questions that i have been coming up with in reference to rhythyms in regards to comping. I have been playing guitar for a while and specifically studying jazz for about six months to a year - i have learned a good portion of drop 2 and drop 3 chords thanks to sites like Jimmy Bruno's and Matt Warnock's (both are great) but i am wondering more about the rythmic aspects of the art - is there a well rounded book on comping rhythms for a very basic beginner anyone can reccomend aside from the half note per voicing / 4 to the bar / Charleston.

User Info Menu

Hello Boston Joe:
    It wasn't the first time Andrew Green was contacted regarding the error. I sent him an email years ago regarding the same error [plus others].
    Joe; You did the ethical thing in that you sent that person corrected material.
    Mr. Green didn't do that. He took a very cavalier attitude. It appears that he let the entire situation slide by. In my case it was ok because I made the correction, plus others as I want through the book. This was not the case with the other fellow [ who incidentally is a member of the Jazz Forum].
    What you did was ethical . Andrew Green's reply to the other fellow and me showed total
    indifference .

. On the positive side:
    Perhaps it would be best that we drop the subject and remain jazz guitar enthusiasts.

Incidentally, I bought a very good book written by Randy Vincent : Three-Note Chords and
    Beyond". Vincent presents the material in a very clear , concise way.
    Best Regards, Joe

User Info Menu

Hi jazznewbie1319:The best way to learn comping in rhythm is to use your ears. Log on to YouTube and
    listen to guitarists backing jazz singers like Mel Torme. Players like Johnny Smith,
    Sal Salvador, Jimmy Bruno, Barney Kessel , just to name a few, are really great.
    Joe

User Info Menu

imjoe:

I must have missed the part where he'd been contacted more than once. I suppose it's possible he could have forgotten, but even so, that's pretty unprofessional. My bad.