The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

I'm going to devote a chunk of time to tidying up my rhythm/comping work and would like some suggestions for listening.

If got some of the Paul Desmond classics with Ed Bickert and Jim Hall but would also like to hear some on the newer school of guitarists, Moreno, Lund, Rosenwinkle, Rogers, Kreisberg etc.

I suspect their work as sideman would be a better place to look rather than as band leaders for obvious reasons. Does anyone have any recommendations or favourites for modern comping, if so please share.

Sean

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe Henderson " So near,so far" with John Scofield.

User Info Menu

Everything Lage Lund does on the OWL trio album!

User Info Menu

Modern classics with really interesting harmonic ideas, I think Ben Monder and Mick Goodrick are worth checking out.
    Kurt Rosenwinkel also has a very personal way of saying a lot harmonically, rhythmically and with a nice fluid lyricism. You can find some clinics he does, on youTube.
    David

Thanks Guys, I've just previewed the Joe Henderson and OWL Trio albums and they do sound pretty good. Scofield sounds like he's playing through a JC120, great playing, very organ like on Joshua.

Thanks David, I'll have a scratch around on youtube and see what I can find.

User Info Menu

Kris :-) the guitar comping is in Larrys comping - Moreno, Lund, Rosenwinkle, Rogers, Kreisberg are in his Hands ;-)

Sean: about
    rhythm/comping : listen at 02.08 and 2.40 - yeah.. inspiring!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leunam
    Kris :-) the guitar comping is in Larrys comping - Moreno, Lund, Rosenwinkle, Rogers, Kreisberg are in his Hands ;-)

Every good organ or piano player is also great inspiration not only at comping...:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Every good organ or piano player is also great inspiration not only at comping...:-)
    oh man! i love this record!! i know its not the topic--but..yeah..long time not heard-- Elvin hes crazy..man...GREAT RECORD..

User Info Menu

I like Larry Young very much....

User Info Menu

GREAT KRIS-- Thanks... also good for the modern guitar comping thread.. sometimes things arent what they used to be but later we know..

User Info Menu

GREAT KRIS-- Thanks... also good for the modern guitar comping thread.. sometimes things arent what they used to be but later we know..
    +1

Thanks for the link, I've been listening to Larry and some Jimmy Smith (Home Cooking) all afternoon. Really enjoyed it.

I know I mentioned guitar comping but my ears are open to all and sundry.

User Info Menu

Lorne Lofsky. Yeah, you might find something really nice in here.
    David

User Info Menu

I know you asked for listening material but since you're looking for modern sounds, I suggest a book you might find very useful; Jazz Guitar Comping by Andrew Green.
    http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Guitar-Co...guitar+comping

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude Moser
    I know you asked for listening material but since you're looking for modern sounds, I suggest a book you might find very useful; Jazz Guitar Comping by Andrew Green.
    http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Guitar-Co...guitar+comping
    Thanks, I tend to avoid books like that because of my weak reading but I'm aware I'm probably missing out on some of the best material.

Some of the better keyboard comping I've heard recently has been from guys like Fabian Almazon on the Terrance Blanchard albums. It's quiet boisterous and busy but it grabs your ear and twists it. Cool stuff.

I guess I'm just trying to find out if any of the guitarists have this same choppy, angular style.

User Info Menu

Ben Monder is pretty famous for his voicings. How modern is modern?

I think there are two main schools - the rhythm school (simple voicings, strong rhythms) and the voicing school (complex beautiful voicings, more floating rhythmically.) Both are cool, but I feel the former gets overlooked. Here in the UK, I love Jim Mulllen's comping. He says he got into guitar because he didn't know anyone who could comp well in a modern style! Polar opposite of Monder...
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-01-2014 at 10:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Also:

"I think your comping ideas need a melody... they have one automatically which is ussually your highest voiced note. However, don't let this become a product completely of what chords you want to play... instead why not let that melody guide your voicing choices. If your melody is diatonic then it's easy to go about putting diatonic stuff in there. This is where you really are doing a lot of improvising. Don't forget your melody... never forget it. "

How Modern? Current players on the scene I guess.

I had a good listen to Metheny's work on the Joshua Redman's Wish album which is great and the Kurt Rosenwinkle on the Chris Cheek album I Wish I Knew.

I haven't really listened to Jim Mullen so thanks for the pointer, I'll check him out.

User Info Menu

Jim's quite old school (with a slightly soul/blues touch) so might not be what you are after. I love him though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Also:

"I think your comping ideas need a melody... they have one automatically which is ussually your highest voiced note. However, don't let this become a product completely of what chords you want to play... instead why not let that melody guide your voicing choices. If your melody is diatonic then it's easy to go about putting diatonic stuff in there. This is where you really are doing a lot of improvising. Don't forget your melody... never forget it. "

Truly excellent advice. Thanks for reminding me!

I totally agree, for me that album is an absolute favorite in guitar comping. Sco is a master!