The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elixzer
    Please explain more. I LOVE the subtleties of these chords. And I also like to sing subtly too.

I was talking about leaving the added x notes out which kind of join up the chords.

YOU seem to be saying that if I sing the song, to lessen the chords? To simply them or use less. Is that what you mean?

If so. In the part of the song where there is often an instrumental break, this could mean then including more of the chord melody arrangement?

Please share with me your thoughts on this. I am deeply interested?
    How plain do I have to be?

if you're singing the melody, you don't need to play a chord melody at the same time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan
    How plain do I have to be?

if you're singing the melody, you don't need to play a chord melody at the same time.
    Look Godinfan, I do not welcome that attitude one bit. You must never be a tutor with that kind of arrogance because you will put people off. Learning music is a very sensitive thing, and it is very easy to turn people off if you dont LISTEN and respect their questioning. Trying to convey is a sensitive thing because the people who are learning may not grasp certain things you think you do---there may be blocks in communication. And so it is very important like I say to listen to what is being asked, and humbly answer best way you can without putting-down, and making them NOT want to ask questions.

I wont be asking you any thing again, so please ignore me from now on. PLEASE dont start a flaming war. You started it with that reaction
    I had been trying to understand what you mean, and was very looking forward to help about this, because it is something I am not sure about. There are not many people who play 'Jazz' guitar who sing at the same time, but now I would feel patronized to continue to ask for your help, because of that attitude.

If any one else cares to offer any suggestions, you are welcome.
    Last edited by elixzer; 11-13-2013 at 05:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Askhole.

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan
    Askhole.

I had to look that term up. It apparently means "Someone who asks many stupid, pointless, obnoxious questions."

I am a very open-minded person, who over the course of years online about other subjects, I have had great patience dealing with people when they may not 'get it'. In fact I do this because I am a deep person, and have experienced things where I have not got stuff. amd later it sinks in, and so can EMPATHIZE with others who may struggle about stuff I may think is 'simple'.

I also have had experiences at school many years ago, where the feeling of 'not getting' it can be VERY humiliating and can damage kids to be put-down about it. So I take this really seriously when someone like you pertaining to represent Jazzguitar forums as a professional musician will judge someone like that. I would throw your arse offa here for using that term.

User Info Menu

yes, great

User Info Menu

when accompanying your own singing, I would leave the melody out of your playing. Otherwise, you will doubling parts and get in the way of the melody. It's better IMHO to play sparser and focus on filling in the non-melody space. I hope I understood your question right. I think this is also what Godinfan is saying.

User Info Menu

I agree with Alain's comments regarding singing the melody and focusing on providing a good rhythmic pulse to the accompaniment emphasizing inner voices and extensions / colors of the harmonies on guitar. Think of a singer / guitarist performing a bossa nova.

I am sure you have seen Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry. He does these little diagrams and shows xs and little squares which are telling you to ply melody lines. So your saying to find those notes and sing them rather than play them?

I am drawn to Brazilian guitar because singing with guitar is far more common than western jazz