The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Anybody ever seen this chord symbol? My singing partner was given an arrangement with this chord indicated in several places(plus C7/9i in at least one place).
    Brad

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What's the melody note and context?

There's always a way to decipher a chart, even those written by morons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    What's the melody note and context?
    Unfortunately, it's only chords and lyrics. I did manage to track down another version, turns out it's a b7/-9. Who knew?
    Brad

User Info Menu

Sounds like a chord chart written by a non-English speaker (I can't think how "i" would translate to "b" in English) . But what language would it be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JonR
    Sounds like a chord chart written by a non-English speaker (I can't think how "i" would translate to "b" in English) . But what language would it be?
    The original was B7/9i, so the 9i became -9, the B never changed.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    Unfortunately, it's only chords and lyrics. I did manage to track down another version, turns out it's a b7/-9. Who knew?
    Brad
    Well, it would have been easy enough to figure out if it were flanked with F# minor and some kind of "E" chord

Do you know what note the singer is singing on that chord, though? I always take charts with a grain of salt, especially when they're written "wonky." I'd want to make sure I knew that melody well so that the chart's suggested extensions are actually good.

User Info Menu

Well, it would have been easy enough to figure out if it were flanked with F# minor and some kind of "E" chord

Do you know what note the singer is singing on that chord, though? I always take charts with a grain of salt, especially when they're written "wonky." I'd want to make sure I knew that melody well so that the chart's suggested extensions are actually good.
    It's preceded by a plain old F chord, can't remember what's after that.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Here's a question I should have asked hours ago...what's the song?

User Info Menu

Here's a question I should have asked hours ago...what's the song?
    'til There was You. Easy enough to track down, I was really more curious to see if I had missed a regular use of that particular chord naming.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Good to know...

Is it the second chord of the song? Clunky way of naming that chord, considering the bass usually plays a F#...I'd definitely leave out the B, certainly not put it on the bottom of that chord.

I've always played that chord as an F#diminished.

Later on though, a C7b9 during the turnaround is fine.

User Info Menu

Good to know...

Is it the second chord of the song? Clunky way of naming that chord, considering the bass usually plays a F#...I'd definitely leave out the B, certainly not put it on the bottom of that chord.

Yeah, that's it. I'm going to pull it out over the weekend and see what works best.
    Thanks for the input,
    Brad

User Info Menu

You guys play this in F?

Just curious. Made my chart in Eb. Just trying to follow along. That would explain the C7b9 in the turn around.

Thanks.

And yes, for sure a diminished chord. I wouldn't play that B either.

User Info Menu

I think the Beatles did it in F, and lots of folks learned it from that version...not sure what key the version in "The Music Man" is in...

Obviously, when you work with a singer, key is their call.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    The original was B7/9i, so the 9i became -9, the B never changed.
    Brad
    Sorry I meant "b" as in "flat". I was wondering in what language "flat" could translate to "i" as an abbreviation.

User Info Menu

Good to know...

Right, me too; because that's what they played - F#dim7. (No B in the chord; it's the vii of the following Gm7.)
    Agreed.
    They didn't do that, although there's a ton of other fascinating chords in the progression; extraordinary considering how early in their career they tackled it.
    There's a particularly nice rootless C13b5 (or is it the tritone sub Gb7#9?) near the end of George's (carefully composed) solo:

----
    -10-
    -9--
    -8--
    -9--
    ---

User Info Menu

I always thought he played that chord in the lower register...it's a Mickey Baker chord

User Info Menu

I always thought he played that chord in the lower register...it's a Mickey Baker chord
    He could have played it in lower position, but I'm pretty sure it's that octave.

User Info Menu

Sorry I meant "b" as in "flat". I was wondering in what language "flat" could translate to "i" as an abbreviation.
    Only thing I can come up with is that maybe in some alternate universe, i,which is the ninth letter in the alphabet, is a flat 9 and I is major 9. Of course, this only makes sense in the alternate universe. Sort of like the lute tablature that uses letters for fret positions rather than numbers (or Roman Numerals).
    Brad

User Info Menu

He could have played it in lower position, but I'm pretty sure it's that octave.

Yeah, same notes, just fingered like this (I have to go back and listen, I always thought he busted out the full six stringer, but it might be that 4 note voicing...)

2 4 2 3 5 5

Which is in Baker lesson 1, but not as a 7#9, but rather, a really hip rootless altered chord...

User Info Menu

Yeah, same notes, just fingered like this (I have to go back and listen, I always thought he busted out the full six stringer, but it might be that 4 note voicing...)

2 4 2 3 5 5
    OK - I personally doubt GH would have gone for the full thing, although he might. I only heard (given that position) x x 4 3 5 5. The other chords he's playing previously seem to be 4-note voicings on the top 4 strings (above 5th fret), so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to suddenly reach for a 6-stringer down there, IMO. Unless maybe he liked the chord so much he wanted to shoehorn it in there. I'm going to give it another listen though.
    Which is in Baker lesson 1, but not as a 7#9, but rather, a really hip rootless altered chord...
    I'd say that has a pretty clear F#/Gb root!

User Info Menu

It does, but it's presented in Baker lesson 1 as a rootless altered dom..

I'm joking around, suggesting George was going through Mickey's book.

As for playing the whole chord, I think I transcribed that solo when I was 15...so...yeah...might need to double check my work