The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 77

User Info Menu

Bop Head -

Thanks. Can we try a test? Here's a site with a link to the Vanilla Book. The link is in the first line of text. When I click it I get the result I posted above asking for a username, etc.

What happens when you click it? Do you go straight to the Vanilla Book as normal?

http://fromthewoodshed.com/2009/07/07/vanilla-book/

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Bop Head -

Thanks. Can we try a test? Here's a site with a link to the Vanilla Book. The link is in the first line of text. When I click it I get the result I posted above asking for a username, etc.

What happens when you click it? Do you go straight to the Vanilla Book as normal?

http://fromthewoodshed.com/2009/07/07/vanilla-book/
    Why should it be any different for me? A link is a link. I do not have any special access to that server. As I said, the website is saved in the Internet Archive. Problem solved.

User Info Menu

Bop Head -

You haven't answered my question. When you click on that link what happens? Does it open up the Vanilla Book, or not? The answer is yes or no.

the website is saved in the Internet Archive
    I have no idea what this means. I'm just asking a very simple question about a link to a website.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

What is the goddamn matter with you people? That link opens the website I posted that contains the link to the Vanilla Book!

Attachment 108633

Just click on the VB link on that website. You either get the VB site or you don't.

User Info Menu

It only works going via the internet archive link for me. Actually this would be handy for that thread about which tunes start on iv minor, the Tonal Centers page in his site has a list of them.

If I try to access any of the Ralph Patt pages from anywhere outside the internet archive, there seem to be various errors, I don’t think the site has been maintained properly (certificates are probably out of date or file permissions are screwed or something).

User Info Menu

If I try to access any of the Ralph Patt pages from anywhere outside the internet archive, there seem to be various errors, I don’t think the site has been maintained properly (certificates are probably out of date or file permissions are screwed or something).
    Thanks, Graham. At last someone with a brain. Actually this is a recent phenomenon because I got into it the other day without a problem for 'Exactly Like You'.

I just had a straightforward link direct to the RP site which worked normally.

RP died some time ago and the website continued. It may be those concerned with maintaining it have let it slide or just stopped doing it. But I have to say I really don't know about this Internet Archive. What is that? I've never heard of it before.

User Info Menu

I haven’t been able to get into some parts of the Ralph Patt site for some time now.

The internet archive is a sort of working snapshot of old websites, very handy when this sort of thing happens.

User Info Menu

I've found the IA site and Ralph Patt Vanilla Book shows no results.

As I said, I was in the VB site the other day so this failure is recent for me. Anyway, I have the pdf file of the VB which will have to do. I hope you have some luck with the Tonal Centers page.

Thanks for your help. You never know, those concerned may wake up and restore the site again. Let's hope.

User Info Menu

Yes all the bits I have just looked at seem to work, albeit rather slowly.

User Info Menu

So have you got your Tonal Centers page?

(And is it Centers or Centres?)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yes! Good, I'm glad :-)

I've replaced the old link with the new archive one. As you say, a little wobbly but it's working.

Again, many thanks.

User Info Menu

Well it was Fortune (post 54) who found the actual link, must admit I have not really accessed the web archive myself much, I’ve just heard of it really.

User Info Menu

Bop Head -

You haven't answered my question. When you click on that link what happens? Does it open up the Vanilla Book, or not? The answer is yes or no.

I have no idea what this means. I'm just asking a very simple question about a link to a website.

You quoted, "the website is saved in the Internet Archive" and then said, "I have no idea what this means."

So I posted an example of the internet archive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fortune
    You quoted, "the website is saved in the Internet Archive" and then said, "I have no idea what this means."

So I posted an example of the internet archive.
    But it didn't explain what the IA is or how to access the Ralph Patt site. An example doesn't explain much, I'm afraid. Mind you, if I'd clicked on the VB link I'd have got into it. But that didn't occur to me.

Easy when you know how, otherwise a bit of a mystery. But thank you anyway.

User Info Menu

But it didn't explain what the IA is or how to access the Ralph Patt site. An example doesn't explain much, I'm afraid. Mind you, if I'd clicked on the VB link I'd have got into it. But that didn't occur to me.

Easy when you know how, otherwise a bit of a mystery. But thank you anyway.
    You're right, I should've given a better explanation. Hopefully this helps:

Internet Archive - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

The colloquial name of the internet archive is 'The Wayback Machine". Every available website is saved there. I can't imagine the storage requirements for it, nor the work involved in sending out the bots, but it's a valuable resource, which has been around for decades.

User Info Menu

It's absolutely worth exploring, and not just for music.

User Info Menu

Bop Head -

internet archive - Google Search

DuckDuckGo

User Info Menu

You're going backwards. It's all over now :-)

User Info Menu

The Ralph Patt site is locked out for me, as well.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The Ralph Patt site is locked out for me, as well.
    The website is no longer working or at least not ATM. If a link is not working anymore it is not working anymore for anyone trying it.

But maybe we should start a poll proving that it is not working for 100 % of us.

Some possibilities:

• The person(s) who kept running the website after Ralph Patt's death on October 6th 2010 (date according to a website called Wikipedia) cannot / does not want to pay for the website being hosted on a server anymore. The webhosting company sent them a note and made the site unavailable for visitors.
    • The person(s) who kept running the website after Ralph Patt's death on October 6th 2010 (date according to a website called Wikipedia) do not want the information being available publicly anymore.
    • Some technical problem with the host server
    • Something else

Whatever it was does not matter anyway because the website is already saved in the Internet Archive.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The colloquial name of the internet archive is 'The Wayback Machine". Every available website is saved there. [...]
    The name of the Internet Archive is Internet Archive. The Wayback Machine is the part of it where websites are stored. Not every directly available website*) is saved there unfortunately (probably not even the NSA can do that which has much greater possibilities technically than the organisation behind the Internet Archive) but at least many websites are saved and preserved at least partially and fortunately the Ralph Patt website as well. The Internet Archive is colloquially also known by its URL archive.org.

*) There is also the darkweb that works with special adresses and only with special browsers (TOR software). Darkweb websites are not stored in the Internet Archive at all AFAIK.

[...] But I have to say I really don't know about this Internet Archive. What is that? I've never heard of it before.
    IIRC the fake books you post lead sheets from time to time came from links to the Internet Archive I once posted. Which would mean that you are possibly downloading stuff from websites that you do not know without looking at them. Which in turn can be a high computer security risk. I do not post BS links here but I highly recommend to check first where you are downloading stuff from.
    ___

BTW the Internet Archive has a huge digital lending library as well. You have to log in to use it but you can use your Google account (if you have one) to do that. Or you open an account there. Tons of sheet music among other things. I am also surprised that so many here have never heard about the Internet Archive because I have posted already so many links to sheet music in the IA lending library accompanied with mentioning the login via Google account.

There is also a huge division of recordings relevant for Deadheads.

There is a huge division of publicly available digitized shellac records (which I mentioned numerous times as well because I use those to learn tunes). Look for "78rpm".

There is also a blog informing about recent activities.

Look around a website and try things out, tech-un-savvy boomers (and X-ers sometimes). No offence meant and some of you work or did work as server admins and know probably know a lot more than me. I am talking to those that hear something first, do not know what it is and do not get the idea to use a search machine called Google to find out something about it. Trial and error. Like improvisation. That is why I know such things. You learned how Ebay, Reverb, YouTube and Soundcloud works. Not to forget this forum (at least the basics). Now have fun with the discovery of the Internet Archive.
    Last edited by Bop Head; 02-10-2024 at 02:31 AM.

User Info Menu

This also seems like a great resource for students to really get the basic chord forms under their fingers and to understand that they don't have to know a million extensions to play a tune.