The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Depending on gig, those notes can get very expensive...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Usually my starting point is major, minor, dominant, or m7b5. I may also add maj7b5 or maj7#5 or min(#7) to the list of "starting points" in the right context. In general I probably toss out the root, 5th on most chords, except when I'm going for a Quartal type sound (eg mi11 or 6/9 type chords)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Jonzo... I've said it probably too many times... with reference to Jazz...Mine is 7th chords. Extensions and triads are in reference to. Those 7th chords would have an implied complete structure... all the extensions etc... but when I choose to use the rest of the implied note collections, all the extensions... there's a reason, an organizational method of using.
    I like that you keep harping on this, Reg. The idea of having a "foundation" or "starting point" that you base whatever else you do off of. It's something I've been gradually realizing for myself and working on over the last few years.

User Info Menu

Thanks ecj... It's helped me over the years. For me personally... there's just too many things to remember. So I use harmonic boxes that have different starting points... foundations. They mechanically help organize my playing.... my memory, all the internalized aspects... ( I always use concept... then application). If I had more talent... might not have been that important...

Reg

User Info Menu

I like to let the situation dictate the texture of the voicing, the more instruments present the "thinner" the chord can be.

For chord melody/ solos I use larger voicings.