The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

green dolphin street ,night and day, when sunny gets blue, stairway to the stars, our day will come, hit the road jack, misty, chan's song, here there everywhere, hey jude.....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddy b.
    Sharp 11 thanks for offering greater insight into the discussion. You bring up some points that I never even considered about the relationship of the music to the movie.I listened to your samples. Something There is really beautiful and resonated with me I love this music!! Thank You for making and sharing it!!
    Thanks very much Eddy, I appreciate you taking the time to listen

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddy b.
    . I am intrigued by finding ways to modulate using pivot chords and just the fun challenge of trying to make a tune modulate up a whole step for instance without it sounding like some big Barry Manilow ending.Know what I mean?? Ed
    One of my favorite modulations is in "Something" by the Beatles (George Harrison) - I love how he modulates to A major from C major by taking the VI chord in the verse, A minor, and featuring it as the major chord for the bridge.

Very clever.

He gets back to C major in an interesting way by using a line motif that echos an earlier part of the tune - that descending stepwise line.

Ed

User Info Menu

Thanks Ed,for the Beatles "Something" that is a superslick modulation, and exactly what I wanted to find out by this post. have a great day!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shrp11
    While there's been great film music written, music is not the core of what film music is all about.

Music for a film should support the narrative of the film - you shouldn't hear the music as pieces of music, it should really disappear into the fabric of the film. The old adage in the bizz is, if you notice the score, it's failed.
    Sergio Leone used an interesting and unusual concept when shooting "Once Upon a Time in the West". He had Ennio Morricones now famous music recorded first and then had it played on loudspeakers on the set when the scenes were shot so the actors could be in sync with the music. The speech was recorded later.

BTW, I am a big fan og Sergio Leone and "Once Upon a Time in the West" is one of my all time favorite films. I find it very much inspired by Italian operas, especially Puccini (after all Leone was an Italian). Morricones music also has a lot of Puccini inspiration. The guide motifs for each of the deliberately stereotyped main characters is also found in Puccinis operas. It also has a lot of pathos and a slightly sadistic twist, just like in a Puccini opera (just think of Tosca). We can really talk about a "horse opera" here.