The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I've transcribed Jim Hall's comping on Alone together on Paul Desmonds record Take Ten. Great playing and a lot to learn from this. Not a perfect transcription. I gave up on getting the rhythm notation correct here and there, but I hope the voicings and grips are decent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gersdal; 03-23-2014 at 06:47 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very cool. thanks for posting. I read through... well between scrolling down. Very straight, rhythmically and harmonically... but we are talking about JH.

You might check out your rhythmic notations when they cross, what many call the imaginary bar line, between beats 2 and 3. At 7th bar of 2nd "A"... dotted quarter, dotted quarter, quarter. Always easier to read as Dotted quarter, eight tied to quarter, quarter.... and 3rd bar of last "A". Not really a big deal, but sight reading is difficult enough already.

How do you determine chord symbol from spelling or notated part. I'm always interested. Some of the symbols appeared different from spellings...Again thanks for posting, players should read through, great practice etc... Not trying to bash, I always dig your posts. And you are actually giving us music... very nice.

Would dig hearing you play transcription...

Thanks Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Very cool. thanks for posting. I read through... well between scrolling down. Very straight, rhythmically and harmonically... but we are talking about JH.
    Thanks

You might check out your rhythmic notations when they cross, what many call the imaginary bar line, between beats 2 and 3. At 7th bar of 2nd "A"... dotted quarter, dotted quarter, quarter. Always easier to read as Dotted quarter, eight tied to quarter, quarter.... and 3rd bar of last "A". Not really a big deal, but sight reading is difficult enough already.
    Thanks for the advise. I've seen people recommending transcribing the rhythm first, and then the individual notes. Maybe that would be better. It's getting a bit too much for me at times.

How do you determine chord symbol from spelling or notated part. I'm always interested. Some of the symbols appeared different from spellings...
    I think I just indicated the original chords from the real book, and let the reader determine what Jim Halls interpretation of what to play over that chord.

Again thanks for posting, players should read through, great practice etc... Not trying to bash, I always dig your posts. And you are actually giving us music... very nice. Would dig hearing you play transcription...
    Thanks. I'm not too advanced when it comes to video taping my playing and placing it on youtube. I'll try ...

User Info Menu

Nice...thanks.
    I have this CD.I like it a lot.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

User Info Menu

Great job, always dug that intro too!

User Info Menu

Awesome...thanks for sharing. Jim Hall's comping always blows my mind.

User Info Menu

I've been looking/studying at this comp and have one glaring question? There are multiple instances where on a minor 2-5-1 where Jim plays a dominant 7 (maj 3rd) instead go the ii-7. I get how this creates a strong 1/2 into the V7(he's basically sliding dim chords around) but I don't get why the F# on a D-7 "works". It's not just used "in passing" either, in m47 he plays the F# on D- on the downbeat of one. Not something I would tend to do, but then I'm no Jim Hall. Could someone give me a heads up
    here? Many thanks.
    Last edited by Gertrude Moser; 03-22-2014 at 08:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Gersdal, this looks to be a very interesting post, and I dont understand how I missed it then but fortunately its come round again. Only problem is the link seems to be inactive. I would really like a copy of the transcription. Is that possible?

User Info Menu

Sorry, I should have checked the link before I posted. I'm looking at a copy I printed a while back and never got around to studying. Is the OP still around?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude Moser
    I've been looking/studying at this comp and have one glaring question? There are multiple instances where on a minor 2-5-1 where Jim plays a dominant 7 (maj 3rd) instead go the ii-7. I get how this creates a strong 1/2 into the V7(he's basically sliding dim chords around) but I don't get why the F# on a D-7 "works". It's not just used "in passing" either, in m47 he plays the F# on D- on the downbeat of one. Not something I would tend to do, but then I'm no Jim Hall. Could someone give me a heads up
    here? Many thanks.
    Ed Bickert is another who does that V of V thing instead of a ii-V.

User Info Menu

No finding the transcription with the link.

User Info Menu

I'll try to find it and repost. Thanks for the interest.

User Info Menu

I hope this is the one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Thank you, now I will have something to do this morning. I´m looking forward to a guitar oriented day, all day. Again thanks!

User Info Menu

Thanks for providing this!

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for sharing!

good stuff tx