The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by elixzer
    you mean to be aware of all the notes of the chord I strum or pluck?
    It sounds to me like he's asking have you memorized each note of the fretboard.

Which chords are you attempting to play at those fretboard points? Where you have the sense you're "hopping around." Please be specific.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    It sounds to me like he's asking have you memorized each note of the fretboard.

Which chords are you attempting to play at those fretboard points? Where you have the sense you're "hopping around." Please be specific.
    I have ---am (I cant say I am totally there but I knows where they are now) sure of where the Cs, Bs, Fs. Es, Ds, Gs, and As, are yes. All thats left is the in-betweens which can be either # or b depending which direction. But I dont immediately know when I am doing a choird. I have to stop and think, and often it makes me go into a trance LOL. maybe because trying to think abstractly often does that to me

Above I summarized the numbers of the frets, eg IE it starts on 4th fret, 7, 2, 7, 1 , 7, 5, 10, 7, 3, 7.

User Info Menu

Do you mean the top notes?

Also this is the feeling I have trying that. its a sense of just copying chord shapes. of being a bit lost. Not sure if what I am doing is really learning me...? You felt that when you started that process you spoke about?
    "Voice leading" generally refers to the inner harmonic voices of a chord, i.e., in a typical ii-V or ii-V- I progression.

Example on a 4 part voicing on a ii - V7 progression occurring at bars 3,4:

E-9 to A13

E-9 chord = notes EGDF#, root -3 b7 9

Played at the 7th fret you have the Root E @ 7th Fret 5th string

Minor 3rd G @ 5 fret 4th string

b7 D @ 7th fret 3rd string

9th F# @ 7th fret 2nd string

Moving from the ii, or E-9 chord

two key componets in smooth voice leading will generally exhibit a half step movement of the 3rd and 7th as it transitions (moves) to the new chord, which in this case is an A13 chord. Also the -3rd note of the chord you're holding will become the b7 of the dominant chord you're going to.

A13 = notes A,G, C# F#, root b7 3rd 13(6 same note)

Played at the 5th fret you have Root A @ 5th fret 6th string

b7 note G @ 5th fret 4th string

3rd note C# 6th fret 3rd string

13 note F# 7th fret 2nd string

Now, examine the movement of the voices you've used to create the E-9 chord and evaluate what notes are either moving a half step or simply being held over to be used in the next chord.

In smooth harmonic voice leading the 3rd and 7th will generally convert from the 3rd of the first chord into being the 7th of the new chord.

In the case of your E-9, your -3rd note G, becomes the b7 note G of the A13 chord. The previous b7th note D of the E-9 chord, moves 1/2 step to note C# becoming the 3rd of the A13 chord.

The 9th of the E-9 chord, note F# is held (kept) and becomes the 13th in the A13 chord.

This is what's referred to as smooth voice leading. In essence it's transitioning to a new chord while using elements of the chord you're coming from (already created).

You'll better understand this 1/2 step chord movement by practicing ii-V, and ii-V-I progressions around the cycle of 5ths, covering all 12 keys. Doing that will condition your ear to hear ii-V progressions in any song form movement.

Notice too, that in the case of Dominant 7 chords the 3rd and b7 combine to create what's known as a TRITONE. In the case of that A13 chord above, notice how each 6 string root chord has connected tritone notes that are a lowered 5th/raised 4th apart with their placements on strings 4 and 3. On a guitar tritones are diagonally positioned from each other, and easily recognizable, exp: A13 5th string root, b7 G on 5th fret 4th string, 3rd C# on 6th fret 3rd string.

Examining note distances think intervals, i.e., the note distance of a tritone is the interval of a lowered 5th. C to F is an interval of a 4th, C to E is a Maj3rd, etc.

6th string to 5th string is the interval of a 4th, i.e., A - D. Reverse it, going from 5th string to 6th string and you've an interval of a 5th i.e., D - A.

6th string to 4th string is the interval of a b7th (dominant), so on root based dominant chords you've got your root and dominant 7 (b7) clearly mapped out for you up and down the neck. Okay, i'm babblin'.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-09-2012 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

But I dont immediately know when I am doing a choird.

Above I summarized the numbers of the frets, eg IE it starts on 4th fret, 7, 2, 7, 1 , 7, 5, 10, 7, 3, 7.

You've posted fret numbers. I want to know what chords you're referring to being played on those frets. Such as E-9 root 7th fret etc.

If you "don't know when you're doing a chord" that suggests you've not examined the elements of what scale steps are required to create a 4 note chord. Numerically they're all the same. An E-9th will have a -3rd, 5th, b7, 9th. The elements required to create an E-9 are the -3rd, b7, and the 9th. Your ear will hear the root implied, or if you're playing with a bass player or another guitar player, you stay out of their way and allow them to play the root. As a solo guitar player you have the freedom to either play the root or not.

I'd recommend studying ii-V progressions before even tackling a tune, for doing so each question you've asked will become as clear as child's play. Doing that alone will allow you to master voice leading. TSOYS is filled with ii-V progressions, and a ii-V-I progression. If you want to play chord guitar you've got to understand the basics of some music (scale) theory, which when understood allows you to create seamless chord transitions (movements).

Each chord is created from specific intervals (notes) of a scale. A chord's makeup is simply the notes of the 1,3,5,7 scale steps of any of the 12 keys. Are you aware of that? If not study the C major scale. Notes CEGB are the root, maj3rd, 5th, maj7. Played in a group they form a C Maj7 chord in the key of C.

With that note formula, 1, 3, 5, 7 you can create a Maj7 chord in all 12 keys, for the formula for that major chord remains the same. Same goes for minor, dominant, etc.

A minor chord is but a fancy way of saying the 3rd is flat.

If it's a dominant 7 chord the 7th note of the scale must be lowered 1/2 step. In the key of C, the seventh note B becomes Bb.

If it's a major chord both scale steps 3 and 7 remain as they are, correct?

Does that help? I don't know where you are so forgive me if you're beyond any of this.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-09-2012 at 12:47 PM.

You on on it!! I had my very first guitar lesson today. I was cheeky because I dont really intend to have any more because I can't afford them (times are far too tight), but it was a first one and free. But this guy is really cool, and had a well cool music room. he is into Jazz, and Delta Blues, and his eyes lit up when I said I was into The Shadow of Your Smile.
    He also thinks I am diving too in the deep end. he gave me this little like test, of basic open chords---I was part nervous and part just simply forgetting some basic chords like E7 (for fucks sake LOL) D7. But it was being put on the spot, but it has made me realize that I always need to remember the basics before going for these exotic chords. So he's given me this chord summary to remind myself. I did show off on the triaads I know haha He said that the stuff I was exploring was a few grades up from where I am at, in his opinion, and asked me if I want to be graded. That sounds too much like school to me though.
    Anyhow you saying all this is like you are telepathically attuned to whats gone on just now. I only came back about twenty minutes!

Dont get me wrong though, I am still going to explore the Ted Greene chord arrangements etc, but not to un-remember the basics. Funny though, when I mentioned 'Shell chords' he asked me what they were. But then when I told him he picked up one of his guitars and began playing them.

Also what you have provided me with fep is really good and I will be practising it for sure. Thanks VERY much
    Last edited by elixzer; 05-09-2012 at 03:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I wrote up a chord melody:

https://www.box.com/s/0d7d87eb8741ca531db0
    Last edited by fep; 05-10-2012 at 12:27 PM.

You have made the tabs easier to follow! That is cool, thanks. Is funny---As I went over this open chords print out Michael--the guitar helper--gaveme, I realize that you can often have dis-jointed thinking---or at least I can. Forgetting that shapes down the neck are part OF the 7ths up the neck. In my rush to get over my feeling caged down there, I have neglected to respect that part. IF you get me. it is easy to regress.