The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    More power to you if you are gleaning benefit from the method, I just want to point out that this isn't necessarily "how the pros do it" and might not be the best choice to spend loads of time on.
    I spend a lot of time connecting each key via the 5 shapes idea and truly cover the entire range of the guitar. Maybe I wasn't clear from the outset. The all keys without leaving a pos. is just one way of looking at the big picture. It's liberating to know that you don't have to move to play through all keys. Really helps when you pick up and read lead sheets and chord melodies.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ecj, I think it's one of those things that you don't necessarily intentionally pull out on a gig, but rather train your improvisational abilities and awareness. I've spent some time with a five fret concept and found it helpful, but of course when I'm playing I slide and finger based on the sound and register I want.

The way I look at it, the music we're talking about here is music that requires an intimate and comprehensive knowledge of different keys and chord types. The 5 fret concept is just one of many perspectives on navigating the fretboard. I think we've all been at the point where we are soloing and then just hit a dead spot on the fretboard where, for the harmony of the moment, we don't have vocabulary at that location. The 5 fret idea is just another way to expand consciousness of the fretboard. All guitarists should know that whatever key or chord they are trying to play over, it's available within every 5 fret range on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    ecj, I think it's one of those things that you don't necessarily intentionally pull out on a gig, but rather train your improvisational abilities and awareness. I've spent some time with a five fret concept and found it helpful, but of course when I'm playing I slide and finger based on the sound and register I want.

The way I look at it, the music we're talking about here is music that requires an intimate and comprehensive knowledge of different keys and chord types. The 5 fret concept is just one of many perspectives on navigating the fretboard. I think we've all been at the point where we are soloing and then just hit a dead spot on the fretboard where, for the harmony of the moment, we don't have vocabulary at that location. The 5 fret idea is just another way to expand consciousness of the fretboard. All guitarists should know that whatever key or chord they are trying to play over, it's available within every 5 fret range on the guitar.
    I've certainly spent time practicing these concepts via the Leavitt books and can utilize them. After learning them I became aware of the fact that they are extremely limited in their utility when you are actually on the bandstand playing over changes, and I see a lot of new players getting really into them. I just want people to be aware of the fact that the system is mostly designed around being a heavy sight reader.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think you should practice them intending to be able to solo over Cherokee at 240 using them, because it's probably not going to happen.