The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18
    Hello: My name is Joyce. We are working on some Jazz Band chords for our local school. I am having trouble finding these chords this year. The piece is: Birdhouse Blues by: Terry White. Chords needed are: G+7(b9)
    Bb+7(#9) F7(9) Eb7(13) F+7(#9) This is just a few - we'll start here. Thanks for any help. Joyce

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like a job for middle and upper string set drop 2 chords in their 1st inversions.
    Or you just play the 3rd and the 7th if you want to play it safe. I am sure the rest of the band will be covering the extensions.

Go to the link in my signature. Matt's site is great. Click on "jazz guitar resources" and look for drop 2 chords built from the A and D strings. Keep the link bookmarked so you can grab all of the other chords you need as they arise. Use the 1st inversions, this way you are not playing the root and are staying out of the bass players way. Good luck! Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by brwnhornet59; 03-04-2012 at 05:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Without roots

G+7(b9)-----X X 9 10 9 11---or---X 7 8 7 8 X
    Bb+7(#9)----X X 6 7 7 9-----or---X 5 6 6 7 X
    F7(9)---------X X 7 8 8 8-----or---X 6 7 5 8 X
    Eb7(13)------X X 5 6 6 8-----or---X 4 5 5 6 X
    F+7(#9)-----X X 7 8 9 9 ----or---X 6 7 6 9 X

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    Without roots

G+7(b9)-----X X 9 10 9 11---or---X 8 9 8 9 X -- or X X 3 4 4 4
    Bb+7(#9)----X X 6 7 7 9-----or---X 5 6 6 7 X
    F7(9)---------X X 7 8 8 8-----or---X 6 7 5 8 X
    Eb7(13)------X X 5 6 6 8-----or---X 4 5 5 6 X -- or X 4 5 5 4 X
    F+7(#9)-----X X 7 8 9 9 ----or---X 6 7 6 9 X -- or X X 3 4 4 4
    One correction and a few additions.

User Info Menu

The tune is a standard or typical jazz blues in Bb. None of the changes are actually + or augmented chords. The + really is b13. The altered Dom 7th chords are from Blue notes and Melodic Minor.
    The G+7#9 is just a standard blues like G7#9 chord, The VI chord, in this case the G7 can be heard as V/II or more commonly a VI chord altered through Modal Interchange or Blue Note influence... Bottom line... It's just a Blues in Bb with a I VI II V turn around.
    Here's a few blues samples...Reg

Hello: Well, thanks so much for everyone responding to my need for help on the Jazz Band chords. All your replys are very helpful. I May be back !!!
    Thanks, Joyce

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    The tune is a standard or typical jazz blues in Bb. None of the changes are actually + or augmented chords. The + really is b13. The altered Dom 7th chords are from Blue notes and Melodic Minor.
    The G+7#9 is just a standard blues like G7#9 chord, The VI chord, in this case the G7 can be heard as V/II or more commonly a VI chord altered through Modal Interchange or Blue Note influence... Bottom line... It's just a Blues in Bb with a I VI II V turn around.
    Here's a few blues samples...Reg

Thanks for the tips and great playing as always, welcome back Reg!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    None of the changes are actually + or augmented chords. The + really is b13.
    I had a feeling that these were not aug chords she was asking for.
    Last edited by brwnhornet59; 03-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by S.Joyce Stark
    Hello: My name is Joyce. We are working on some Jazz Band chords for our local school. I am having trouble finding these chords this year. The piece is: Birdhouse Blues by: Terry White. Chords needed are: G+7(b9)
    Bb+7(#9) F7(9) Eb7(13) F+7(#9) This is just a few - we'll start here. Thanks for any help. Joyce
    Joyce,

It can be helpful to remember that in a big band setting, the guitarist need not add all of the chord extensions. Things can be simplified without causing any problems. The brass and piano will have all those notes anyway, and outside a small combo setting, no one will miss that they aren't doubled.

Often the root may even be omitted, as well as the 5th, even if it is altered. (Famous rhythm guitarist Freddy Green usually only played three notes.)

I'm not familiar with that tune, but as an example: G+7(b9) = G, B, D#,F , Ab. Bottom up. The G can be omitted, because it's in the bass and t-bones. So, what's left is a fully diminished chord on B, or...xx3444.

Bb+7(#9) can be played Bb+7...6x677x.

F7(9) is just F9...the 7 is implied, unless it says Fadd9. Play F7 or F9.

Eb7(13) works just fine as Eb7 or Eb9.

Finally, remember to have fun. Keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    One correction and a few additions.
    Thanks M-ster, my proof editor had the day off....

F+7(#9)-----X X 7 8 9 9 ----or---X 6 7 6 9 X -- or X X 3 4 4 4

What is your thinking on the chord in bold?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitarguy
    So, what's left is a fully diminished chord on B, or...xx3444.
    Isn't that a half-diminished shape? A fully diminished on B would have D natural, and not D#.

User Info Menu

Wow talk about confusing the issue for a new person!

User Info Menu

Welcome to jazz guitar. :-)

User Info Menu

Typos happen!

User Info Menu

Hey Joyce... I have and still play and record with big bands. Your part from the chart is probable simple changes with slashes and rhythmic kicks. Sounds like your somewhat of a beginner to jazz guitar. Your goal as part of the rhythm section... is to have balance and hold the harmonic and rhythmic groove of the tune together, (as a rhythm section). If you continue to play in a big band... get use to incorrectly notated changes... lousy and incomplete parts.
    Fifty years ago the typical guitar parts were simple Freddie Green style percussive time-keeping parts. Many composers and arrangers still don't know how to notate rhythm section parts. Liston to Maria Schneider or Bob Mintzer big band charts to hear and see hipper rhythm section notation and parts.
    Part of playing jazz is using your ears... This is also true in Big Bands, especially with rhythm sections. As I said in my previous post... the tune is just a Blues in Bb.... 12 bars over and over. You should be able to almost play the chart from memory after a few times through. Don't get caught going bar to bar... think and hear chorus to chorus... or even head or arranged melody and solos... Reg

User Info Menu

If you can find a book called "Jazz Guitar Chord Bible" by Warren Nunes, I recommend you buy it.

Before everyone piles on after the referee whistle, yes, I know there are a ton of chord books out there and I don't maintain this one is the best.I don't know which is the best and there probably is no "best". It's just one I've used a lot and found very, very helpful. It even found a place in my gig bag.

The advice in this thread is spot on from my experience. In some of the more modern big band charts, you'll also find written out horn lines in the guitar part, so get your sight reading chops up to speed.

I second the mention of Schneider and Mintzer, definitely! In case anyone doesn't know, Schneider was a disciple of Gil Evans. Need I say more.....! I have all her albums. Then there's Rob McConnell/Ed Bickert.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    Isn't that a half-diminished shape? A fully diminished on B would have D natural, and not D#.
    My bad. The xx3444 is the correct shape. I forgot the + part. I was thinking 7b9, which is a dim7 on the 3rd of the chord...xx3434.

We had practice tonight - went pretty well - the song is coming together. Thanks for everyone's help. Joyce