The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That story's hilarious if you've ever heard the joe pass/nhop record "chops."

What a wankfest.
    I heard them perform as a duo in Copenhagen in 1985. Yes, it was a wankfest - both NHØP and Joe. Being a Dane, I have had the priviledge to hear NHØP many times in various constellations over the years. Two frequently recurring constellations was with Dexter Gordon and Ben Webster who both lived in Copenhagen for a number of years years in the 1960s and 70s.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Both great players, among the best, really--who brought out the absolute worst in each other.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Amy32
    If someone was playing that shit underneath me while I was trying to solo I believe I would kick them in the nuts. During the break, of course.
    Don't bother waiting for the break, it's gonna be the end of the gig whenever you do it.

Nuff Said Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Originally Posted by Amy32
    If someone was playing that shit underneath me while I was trying to solo I believe I would kick them in the nuts. During the break, of course.

Don't bother waiting for the break, it's gonna be the end of the gig whenever you do it.
    I took your advice, so I hit the Pianist first, the Pianist blocked the punch and landed his left fist into my gut and in one fluid movement grabbed my guitar, pulling it free of my grasp, and swatted me with it.

The blow sent me crashing backward into the drum kit, cymbal sounds flying on impact. The Pianist didn't let up and pushed forward swinging my guitar. I grabbed it and we were locked together for a moment. The pianist shouted something, “Learn some harmony, you fool!” I shout back, “You play too many bullshit notes!” and I pushed back, catching the Pianist off guard.

With a mighty heave I rammed the Pianist into a chair near the window, causing another explosion of sounds as the chair collided with the guitar amp. Immediately the Pianist sent a boot flying at my face, sending me backwards into the window as air and fog rush about the room. It was at this time that I lost conciousness.

They didn’t say what happened, but I woke in a Hospital bed, holding on for dear life.

I'd just like to say "starting a fight" wasn't the best advice.

Nuff
    Last edited by Nuff Said; 03-09-2012 at 05:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    I took your advice, so I hit the Pianist first, the Pianist blocked the punch and landed his left fist into my gut and in one fluid movement grabbed my guitar, pulling it free of my grasp, and swatted me with it.

The blow sent me crashing backward into the drum kit, cymbal sounds flying on impact. The Pianist didn't let up and pushed forward swinging my guitar. I grabbed it and we were locked together for a moment. The pianist shouted something, “Learn some harmony, you fool!” I shout back, “You play too many bullshit notes!” and I pushed back, catching the Pianist off guard.

With a mighty heave I rammed the Pianist into a chair near the window, causing another explosion of sounds as the chair collided with the guitar amp. Immediately the Pianist sent a boot flying at my face, sending me backwards into the window as air and fog rush about the room. It was at this time that I lost conciousness.

They didn’t say what happened, but I woke in a Hospital bed, holding on for dear life.

I'd just like to say "starting a fight" wasn't the best advice.

Nuff

User Info Menu

lol!!!

User Info Menu

I punched a piano player once, but he was using the "Disney Ballad" setting on his keyboard, and we both agreed afterward that he had it coming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I punched a piano player once, but he was using the "Disney Ballad" setting on his keyboard, and we both agreed afterward that he had it coming.
    As long as you don't use the guitar to punch him with, it's OK.

Once at a gig in the late 1940s Fats Navarro played a gig at the Royal Roost with Bud Powell. Powell who was a passionate needler and gradually worked Navarro up to a furious rage with his never ending negative comments so finally Navarro attempted to hit Powells fingers on the piano keyboard with his trumpet. Powell just about got his finger away before the trompet crashed down. Navarro had to borrow another trumpet to finish the gig. Oddly enough it didn't prevent them from continuing the gig and they also gigged with each other after that.

User Info Menu

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the anecdotes in this thread!