The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how you incorporate the study/practice of chords.

Thanks,

Sandro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Comping tunes...

I'll pick a tune and check different voicings and find a set of voicings that I like and practise comping the tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro
    Hi guys, I was just wondering how you incorporate the study/practice of chords.Thanks,Sandro
    Progressions. Start with ii-7 > V7 > IM7. The most common chord progression in jazz.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Sandro
    This is a lifetime of work starting from proper left hand positioning. Right now I'm somewhere between the beginning and the end. Where are you at right now with it? That might lead to more helpful answers.

User Info Menu

I'll give the same answer as I gave in another thread: www.jazzguitar.be/forum/comping-chords-chord-progressions/19202-learning-playing-rootless-chords.html#post191644

And off course I play with different voicings / subs for the tunes I'm learning..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    I'm somewhere between the beginning and the end. Where are you at right now with it?
    The middle?

User Info Menu

Everything in the context of tunes.

User Info Menu

Hi guys thanks for your replay to me.

I know all the inversion, the most common chord progressions, turn around and I am aware of most of the chord substitution, I am looking in Coltrane system now.

Sandro

User Info Menu

I use a traditional 12 bar jazz-blues progression, both major and minor blues. It is a wonderful way of practicing chords.

User Info Menu

I just focus on muscle memory and associating the shapes with the intervals they are working with. It takes me about 3 weeks to get new things in my system ready to go.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

Thanks,

Sandro
    Use them. In something that is interesting to you. Chord progressions that mean something to you; perhaps a tune that you like. Ted Greene's books on chords offer tons of opportunity for this.

To me it's like eating dry sawdust, learning a chord fingering and then just strumming that chord a few times - out of context, with no purpose, all on it's own. In the early days, I forgot chords as fast as I "learned" them doing that.

User Info Menu

Maybe it's obvious, but when moving from one chord to another, I examine what fingers have to move and where. Keeping time while going thru a chord progression has to be part of the goal when learning new chords.

I used to learn one new chord each day without chord diagrams. Just changing one fretted string creates a new chord. Sometimes while working on a song, I'll stumble across a new chord, whether learning by ear or reading.

Ted Greene opens up something different for those stuck in a rut.

User Info Menu

Playing tunes is the best chord practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    This is a lifetime of work starting from proper left hand positioning. Right now I'm somewhere between the beginning and the end. Where are you at right now with it? That might lead to more helpful answers.
    Funny, I thought practice never ends hahaha
    I guess we're all in the middle if we've already started? haha

Also, what Gersdal said pretty much

User Info Menu

I just learn a couple of chord shapes and go through circle of fifths (ii-V-Is).
    Either that, or I try to play the same chord shapes across all string sets and then make up random chord progressions to see how they all connect. Then, I put it in context with tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtizzle
    Funny, I thought practice never ends hahaha
    I guess we're all in the middle if we've already started? haha
    That was the joke.

User Info Menu

What helped me a great deal was to just find chords that are difficult to play, put some together and comp very slowly with them. Be relaxed. It's very simple to do. If you encounter chords that are too difficult because they're too much of a stretch then don't use them.