The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I'm working on a song and need help substituting. Theres a section with 3 measures of just an F chord and then 2 with an F chord. What could I change and how? voicings. Here is part of the progression.

F / F / F / F7 / Bb7 / B dim. / F / F /

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Actually I just need to get rid of the F chords

User Info Menu

Gm-C7 ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gibson69
    I'm working on a song and need help substituting. Theres a section with 3 measures of just an F chord and then 2 with an F chord. What could I change and how? voicings. Here is part of the progression.

I guess this is the first part of a standard blues, and there are hundreds of substitutions possible. Google search "Blues chord substitution"...

This is one good option: Jazz Blues Chord Progressions - Shapes & Comping Examples

User Info Menu

It would depend on the melody.
    Try this:
    F / Em7b5-A7 / Dm7-G7 / Cm7-F7/ F / F

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike g
    It would depend on the melody.
    Try this:
    F / Em7b5-A7 / Dm7-G7 / Cm7-F7/Bb7
    As gersdal notes, gibson has posted the first 8 bars of a blues form.

Mike's suggestion is more or less Bird blues changes - think Blues for Alice, for example.

Er ... but bar 5 should be Bb7, as it is in the OP's post.

User Info Menu

Check out this video from Jeff Linsky on chord substitution. He explains it simply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    As gersdal notes, gibson has posted the first 8 bars of a blues form.

Mike's suggestion is more or less Bird blues changes - think Blues for Alice, for example.

Er ... but bar 5 should be Bb7, as it is in the OP's post.

Yes it should!

Thank you, what threw me off was the standard F chords, so I didnt know what to do with those. But now I do! Thanks for helpin a newbie like me

Oh another quick question. Im in a band with a bass player, so is it ok to play the root note as long as it is on the 5th string? or what about the 3rd or 5th note on the 5th string, I cant remember what that type of change to the chord thats called at the moment. But is that ok too?

F / Em7b5-A7 / Dm7-G7 / Cm7-F7/Bb7
    I got some voicings for this and it sounds pretty good thanks

Ok now Im just double checking my work...
    Original Progression:
    F/F/F/F7/Bb7/Bdim/F/F/Abdim Gdim Abdim/ G min7 C7/F Fdim/Gmin7 Abdim
    My creation...
    F7/Em7b5 A7/ Dm7 G7/ E7 F7/ Bb7/ Bdim7/ F7/ D7b9/ G7 A7 G7/ Gmin7 C7/ F7 Bb7/ Gmin7 F7/
    Does it work?

User Info Menu

... My creation...
    F7/Em7b5 A7/ Dm7 G7/ E7 F7/ Bb7/ Bdim7/ F7/ D7b9/ G7 A7 G7/ Gmin7 C7/ F7 Bb7/ Gmin7 F7/
    Does it work?
    It depends on the melody and context, but the spots I indicated might be considered atypical. (That doesn't mean you shouldn't keep them if they suit the melody and work for you, etc.)

The last two bars of the form could almost be anything, but it would be very common to see a I - vi - ii - V or any of an incredible number of variations as the turnaround. It could also be as similar to what you have as F7 Bb7 | G-7 C7.

What would you suggest putting in place of the E7 and A7

User Info Menu

Can we hear or see the melody?

Could I do a variation of this:
    F7 / Bb7 Bdim / F7 / Cm7 F7 /
    Bb7 / Bdim / F7 / D7 /
    Gm7 / C7 / F7 / Gm7 C7 /
    Like this:
    F7 / Bb7 Bdim7 / F7 / Cm7 F7 / B7 / Bdim7 / F7 / D7b9 / G7 / C7 /F7 Bb7 / G7 C7/

User Info Menu

Your link is to a straight ahead blues. Why not just go with:

F7 / Bb7 Bdim / F7 / Cm7 F7 /
    Bb7 / Bdim / F7 / Am7 D7 /
    Gm7 / C7 / F7 D7 / Gm7 C7 /