The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16
    Here's a YouTube lesson I did on a Texas Swing chord progression...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice, thanks for posting

User Info Menu

I did pretty good with following those chords. Any chance I can get a transcription to check my work on?

~DB

Quote Originally Posted by lindydanny
    I did pretty good with following those chords. Any chance I can get a transcription to check my work on?

~DB
    I will have the TAB on my web site in a few weeks for all my lessons. I tried uploading a PDF to this thread but couldn't get it to work.
    Last edited by SwingSwangSwung; 08-16-2011 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SwingSwangSwung
    Here's a YouTube lesson I did on a Texas Swing chord progression...

Iv'e seen your stuff before. I always enjoy your lessons and your playing. Hope to see you post more.

User Info Menu

cool post!

User Info Menu

I will have the TAB on my web site in a few weeks for all my lessons. I tried uploading a PDF to this thread but couldn't get it to work.
    Hehe... Nice hook to get me trafficking your site!

I'll check in on it. 8-)

User Info Menu

Hehe, that was cool! I'm not familiar with this style of music (though the chord progression sounds familiar) so I was wondering: who should I listen to in order to get a better understanding of this style?

User Info Menu

Great lesson, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Astronomer
    Hehe, that was cool! I'm not familiar with this style of music (though the chord progression sounds familiar) so I was wondering: who should I listen to in order to get a better understanding of this style?
    Probably the best way is to drive around rural Texas till you find a bunch of old farmers jamming. But here's a sample of Texas style fiddling with swing guitar rhythm playing...

If you can stand the "Aahhs" that Bob Wills throws in all his tunes, there is some great guitar playing scattered throughout the old Texas Playboys recordings. Also check out Asleep At The Wheel.

User Info Menu

It may be a bit easier to hear what the guitarist is doing in this video of Gary Lee Moore and Joey MacKenzie

And there's a great transcription of Eldon Shamblin's rhythm arrangement for "San Antonio Rose" on Keith Baumann's site here:
    http://www.uptownrhythm.com/articles.html

Last edited by AlohaJoe; 08-24-2011 at 02:34 AM.

User Info Menu

I have dug Marl O'Connor since I first heard him in the early 80's.

He is a smoking guitarist as well. I think I have seen him play mandolin to.

User Info Menu

Another good Texas Swing player is Whit Smith of Hot Club of Cowtown. There is a bunch of their stuff around.

Here's good one:

User Info Menu

I just found this as well. I haven't completely read through it but it is pretty good so far.

http://www.museweb.com/ag/western-swing.txt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaJoe
    It may be a bit easier to hear what the guitarist is doing in this video of Gary Lee Moore and Joey MacKenzie

And there's a great transcription of Eldon Shamblin's rhythm arrangement for "San Antonio Rose" on Keith Baumann's site here:
    Published Articles
    Anybody know how to get a hold of Joey MacKenzie?

User Info Menu

If you can stand the "Aahhs" that Bob Wills throws in all his tunes, there is some great guitar playing scattered throughout the old Texas Playboys recordings. Also check out Asleep At The Wheel.
    Daytrotter just put up a great session with Asleep at the Wheel

Asleep at the Wheel: Daytrotter Session recorded Aug 8, 2011

Completely free and legal to download.

Great lesson!