The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hi, I would like to know how you guys would comp on this tune? I`m now learing it with my band - drums, bass, trumpet, guitar. Can you sugest some interesting chord voicings? I mainly play inversions from the 4string. I`m also now learning to strum the chords with son and rumba clave rythm.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The tune is basically in D Major and B minor so create some movement using the triads of the harmonized D major scale.

User Info Menu

Do you have a MIDI program like Notation? Here is a midi file so you can see what chords Chick uses in comping.

chick_spain.mid - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

User Info Menu

Would you rather have a video... I seem to be able to play better than speak...just a thought... Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Would you rather have a video... I seem to be able to play better than speak...just a thought... Reg

Reg,

We can always use another of your videos.

User Info Menu

Please do post a video!
    I've been following your videos and I find them very helpful.

User Info Menu

Larry Coryell has a great driving comping style for this tune.

but in Gmajor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dazz
    Larry Coryell has a great driving comping style for this tune.

but in Gmajor
    Yes, his approach is interesting. After I read this thread today I listened to a coupla versions of the song. The Coryell/Steve Khan version is like that vid - fairly vanilla chords with very strong rhythm.

So I listened to the original Chick and, behind the flute solo, Chick is also more focussed on the rhythm. (Doesn't sound as strong because he's playing a Rhodes and only playing intervals rather than chords a lot of the time.)

User Info Menu

Light as A Feather is a Classic disc. I've only played this in a duo setting (2 guitars) but I agree. Its more a rhythm thing. Almost like (dare I say it!) a flamenco thing (Gma7-F#7)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Almost like (dare I say it!) a flamenco thing (Gma7-F#7)
    That was the very word I thought of today, listening to the Coryell/Khan version.

User Info Menu

I remember a poster suggested these chords:

35x422
    24x300

Honestly, on a tune like that, you can use very simple voicings. Think more about the samba rhythm/strumming to make the comping interesting.

User Info Menu

It would be fantastic! I really like your instructional videos.

Would you use montuno with guitar in your comping?

Thanks for the suggestions I`ll try to work on some movments with triads.

Here`s a very nice version of Chiks Acoustic Band

By the way in 9feb Chick is starting a world tour "Return to Forever IV"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrakaVobla
    I`m also now learning to strum the chords with son and rumba clave rythm.
    Cool, just so you know, this tune is much more of a Brazilian style of "latin music" in which montunos/Rumba/Son clave is not used.

Try comping in a style which accentuates the 16th note upbeat... much more like samba/"white dude latin"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timscarey
    Cool, just so you know, this tune is much more of a Brazilian style of "latin music" in which montunos/Rumba/Son clave is not used.

Try comping in a style which accentuates the 16th note upbeat... much more like samba/"white dude latin"

Thanks Tim, I didnt know that.

User Info Menu

Hey Tim's right on... and I like the "white dude Latin" thing, can be applied to many styles, I believe Chick was Italian/Spanish, born in Mass. I know he is one of the few at his level that compose and play... I'll make a Video sometime today... I do use montunos, just a little different than the traditional patterns, but fun. I don't get to much shit at gigs, I do play salsa gigs, but those are a dance thing. Reg

User Info Menu

Sorry I took so long... lazy. It's short and I tried not to play to much... just samples of ideas. If any thing looks cool, let me know and I'll give better example.
    Best Reg

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg. Great stuff.

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg, that really helped!
    I have another question - should I use roots in my chords when playing with bass player or be aware of them? And when bass player is soloing and there is no bass line - chords with roots?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TrakaVobla
    I have another question - should I use roots in my chords when playing with bass player or be aware of them? And when bass player is soloing and there is no bass line - chords with roots?
    The norm is to avoid rooted chords when the bass is playing, and play as little as possible when the bass is soloing (just a few kicks here and there). On Spain I'd consider resting chords like Reg shown first as an option over a bass solo.

User Info Menu

I tend to always say what Gersdal just said... but what I usually play many times are big ugly root chordal structures... I rarely play one version of a chord on anything... unless the part is written out. The trick with using big or full chords is how much of the chord you actually bring out. Buy that I mean... just because I'm fingering a bunch of notes doesn't mean I bring them all out. I always use my ears and context to determine how much I should play. I can play the same chord pattern five times in a row and have five different sounds or versions of chord. And yea... for Bass solos... give him space... but nowadays most bass players want you to comp enough to imply harmony... they want to solo and not always have to imply harmony... 40 years ago it was different, when the bass took a solo... it was usually pretty simple, they either picked up the bow or just played something from the melody with same tone.... nowadays since Jaco, we jump on the bridge and get after it... The standard harmonic chord pattern kicks as gersdal brought up are also great, usually at the important strong harmonic and rhythmic points of chart. Reg

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I hope that i will be able to record our session and later put it in for some critic.

User Info Menu

Sorry I took so long... lazy. It's short and I tried not to play to much... just samples of ideas. If any thing looks cool, let me know and I'll give better example.
    Best Reg

Hello Reg,

a bit off topic but what kind of archtop and strings are you using?

Jasper

User Info Menu

That's a Guild Artist Award 94, their best, my second one. I wore the other one out. I have chromes on now. I also put on the Bartolinni pickup made for that guitar. You can pick them up for as little as around 5K, and they are a great work horse... Reg

User Info Menu

Reg,

Your tone is really excellent on that box man. What amp are you using?