The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 41

User Info Menu

I have developed an interest in the bebop scale and need any material availble to help me practice> Please, anyone

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thank You. I am all over it

User Info Menu

Amazon.com: Charlie Parker Omnibook: For C Instruments (Treble Clef) (0029156904161): Charlie Parker, Jamey Aebersold: Books

to see how CP did it.

imo, the David Baker book is better for his discussion of various techniques of bebop (like enclosure, approach tones) than for the actual 'bebop scale'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra
    Amazon.com: Charlie Parker Omnibook: For C Instruments (Treble Clef) (0029156904161): Charlie Parker, Jamey Aebersold: Books

to see how CP did it.

imo, the David Baker book is better for his discussion of various techniques of bebop (like enclosure, approach tones) than for the actual 'bebop scale'.
    The D. Baker books have enough lines for an entire bop vocab. Most of it is drawn from all the best lines from all the best players. It can save you time to just concentrate on these, particularly Vol 2. But you will need all 3.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    The D. Baker books have enough lines for an entire bop vocab. Most of it is drawn from all the best lines from all the best players. It can save you time to just concentrate on these, particularly Vol 2. But you will need all 3.

Yes!! This is THE KEY which will open all doors.

User Info Menu

But not without a lot of ear-training, chord vocabulary, tune-learning, etc, etc., etc.. etc...

No. It's good stuff though.

User Info Menu

Since you are asking about bebop scale for comping, I'd say the drop 2 book is the only one I've seen that deals with what you are asking for. The others mentioned earlier is more for improvising.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gersdal
    Since you are asking about bebop scale for comping, I'd say the drop 2 book is the only one I've seen that deals with what you are asking for. The others mentioned earlier is more for improvising.

This cover is funny. I never realized how tragically disfigured a guitarists hands can look when vocing certain chords. Looks like he's got chicken claws or something.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Auhm ... I've got that book in my shelf somewhere, but I must admit I haven't spent much time on it. Should I? I guess so from your post...

User Info Menu

I think it's a pretty good book. What I like is that it examines hundreds of real solos and basically distills them all down to 3 categories. It's more real-world to me than the David Baker books. I've got the Baker books and I just can't really figure out how to use them. I mean, having rules governing the treatment of passing tones in bebop phrases is nice and all, but how do I actually put them into practice?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goofsus4
    This cover is funny. I never realized how tragically disfigured a guitarists hands can look when vocing certain chords. Looks like he's got chicken claws or something.
    wish mine would do that!

User Info Menu

In my opinion, The David Baker books start at Volume II, Volume I is almost unnecessary. It will beat to death the bebop dominant and major scale in your head. But it could really be all summed up in like a paragaraph, instead of that bs history of jazz paragraph at the beginning, give you 10 pages of examples and that book could be done. Volume II is where the rubber meets the road with examples of ii V's and what not. The more I learn about Bebop the less important and necessary the Bebop scale becomes. Suffice to say its inception was to clear the problem with the 7 note scale vis a vis weak beats/strong beats. It's not really a 'scale'. And it adds chromatism for the movement between ii and V for instance the C7 bebop scale will be C D E F G A Bb B C. The ii will be Gm. So you see the chromatism in the 'scale' is for a seamless movement between the Mixolydian and Dorian modes without sacrificing the strong beat/weak beat pattern.

User Info Menu

I picked up that book and was really disappointed in it. What parts did you find of value so I can go back and look at it again?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyDM
    You leave be able to irk the stick of a fighter plane, or perchance you like unimportant aircraft exodus presentation, no episode that the you found all sorts of games that thinks fitting gain you to the hoary clouds!
    Whatever you say, HipCrime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I picked up that book and was really disappointed in it. What parts did you find of value so I can go back and look at it again?
    Sad. Looking back at my earlier post, I don't think I promised anything more than a book on comping and voicing the bebop scale!!!

However, I will check the book again and see if I can point you in direction of interesting parts. What were you looking for?

User Info Menu

I have both books and I think the Ligon book is a little more accessable as he focuses on three "outlines" that are the basis for playing chord tones and non-chord tones in a line...and I think goes more into "why" vs "what".

Baker's books have about 50 rules of the road and a ton of examples...

As others have said, Bebop is as much a rhythmic concept as much as anything, aligning chord tones on strong beats and non-chord tones on weak beats...

Ligon's book also shows "octave leaps" in his examples which is another bebop cliche...

User Info Menu

Auhm ... I've got that book in my shelf somewhere, but I must admit I haven't spent much time on it. Should I? I guess so from your post...
    I really like this book too! Dig in!

The Jazz Piano Book and Jazz Theory Book go over the bebops scales a bit. One of them mentions shows how arrangers use the scale and major 6th chords and dim7 chords to orchestrate some block harmonies, etc. Kinda neat idea.

My take on bebop scales is that you can add passing tones between any chord/scale tones and get the desired effect. Many players have proved that it works well. Bert's book is a great example of that. Real data.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Yea... I think Jonny's on the right tract... what is bebop... ( Kevin this doesn't apply to you, I don't have time), I hear as adding Blue notes to existing scales and lines, were not talking about harmony and rhythm... We should take a standard bop tune, Anthropology and play through to show examples. I tend to find that it's never quite as simple as verbally adding a few notes... Reg
    Kevin... I was joking... right...

User Info Menu

Reg:

That would be fantastic ( and gracious) for you to do...I for one would love to see how you approach RC changes in a bebop style and how you would approach it...I know your time is valuble and you are a pro player from your posts/videos but it would be great to see how a player bridges the gap between the books/licks and real application....

I am far away in Tampa but if you are ever down here...drinks are on me....

User Info Menu

This discussion is a little confusing for me. It's in the Comping, Chords & Chord Progressions thread, and I'm probably a bit to pedantic about what that means. My understanding of the question in the thread is then Bebop Scale and its application in comping.

The Bert Ligon and David Baker books are mostly on improvising. They are good, but they do not hit the nail if we are talking about comping IMHO.

I'd love to see examples of comping with the bebopscale, tho...

User Info Menu

Hey Gersdal... yea I think your right... but when I comp or solo i go through same process for harmonic sources. I'll try and show how I start with basic changes and change, by Modal interchange, Subs and using blue notes as a method of influencing harmony, whether I'm comping or soloing. Simple example could be Rhythm changes in Key of Bb. I VI- II- V7.... So I make Bb into Bb mixo. add b3 or #9(blue note) now my scale would be mixo with b3(or #9).... To make simple long story short... I use altered on G or VI chord, dorian on C- or II chord and altered on F7 to accommodate blue notes. This is just one simple example... I'll make simple video...there are more than what you find on the net used as bebop scales... and many ways to analyze... I'll go through a few... Best Reg

User Info Menu

Hey Bass2man... I'm in Tampa at least once a year... now that my kids are out of college...I love to drink. Thanks for offer best Reg