The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A member of my local classical guitar society introduced me to the music of Maria Linnemann last year. I got a copy of her book "Quiet Waters" and have really been enjoying the pieces. They're both varied and fun to play.

Who are your favorite contemporary composers for classical guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Currently enjoying working on a Richard Charlton piece, Black Cockatoo Flying Alone, but I've also enjoyed working on a few pieces by William Bay already, and others by Annette Kruisbrink.

Yes, I know, the Bay pieces are officially for plectrum guitar, but perfectly suitable for classical guitar too.

User Info Menu

Thanks, all three are great suggestions. I'll check them out!

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention a bundle I haven't yet checked out myself:
    https://www.melbay.com/Products/3066...ert-isbin.aspx

From what I recall these pieces were composed specifically to work well on both plectrum and classical guitar.

User Info Menu

Right now I‘m playing pieces by Eliseo Fresquet-Serret and Bernard Reeb. I’m also working on Rob McKillop‘s JSB Serial Blues.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I forgot to mention a bundle I haven't yet checked out myself:
    https://www.melbay.com/Products/3066...ert-isbin.aspx

From what I recall these pieces were composed specifically to work well on both plectrum and classical guitar.
    I got these through a recommendation from this forum, but somehow they didn’t click with me.

The William Bay book is not bad, but I have the impression that he composes the same four pieces over and over again. Played them through and picked the ones I liked best.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve View Post
    \The William Bay book is not bad, but I have the impression that he composes the same four pieces over and over again. Played them through and picked the ones I liked best.
    The Preludes, Sonatas & Nocturnes book or one of his others? You do have a point, but I find that many contemporary compositions in this kind of style have something suggesting that their authors had been listening a lot to much earlier music. The piece from the OP has this too: a bit as if it was written for (renaissance) lute.

I've even had that with one of David Laibman's ragtimes (Pandora's Rag), which has a very (pre)classical sounding theme.

User Info Menu

Achieving Guitar Artistry - Concert Solos.

After playing through the book, it seemed to me that he has got one tune in A, one in D, one in E, one in A minor, one in E minor. I picked the ones I liked best.

True, there are a few others, which btw generally stand out from the Rest, but overall I found the material a bit repetitive. But hey, it has 56 pieces in it, you're not going to play all of them anyway.

Another collection I liked are the 12 Etudes by Christian Vasseur. Incidentally, Vasseur, William Bay and Gilbert Isbin we're all showcased here by Rob McK, who evidently had a hand in the editions.

Another piece I'm working on at the moment ist "Für Alina" by Arvo Pärt. Transpose the piano score to E Minor and you're good to go.