The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried those little beads for tying string ends? Opinions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Has anyone tried those little beads for tying string ends? Opinions?
    Assuming you mean nylon strings, you don't need beads, just hold the string end over a flame and it will make its own bead.

User Info Menu

Tried them once,went back to just tying a knot. Gave the beads away to a friend,Muriel Andereson classical strings come with a ball on the end of the upper strings which helps with the string not slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about.

User Info Menu

I tried some and they do what they say but seemed like a solution looking for a problem - melt the ends of the nylon strings and they lock on pretty good. I've converted a bridge to 12 hole a couple times and, to me, that's the best solution; not that hard - there's a YT video on how to do it, I think.

User Info Menu

That looks more difficult than just tying the strings as has been the practice for centuries. I don't keep up with classical guitar, so I've never heard of those thingies. I don't think they existed back in the '60s, the last time I played a CG.

User Info Menu

I use the Diamond Rosette thingies and they work very well. The small improvement in break angle over the saddle is audible. String lash is practically eliminated. It is much faster to string and tune up the guitar without worrying about the strings slipping. And you don't mark the decorative tiebar nor suffer the string holes being enlarged over time. I think they really help.

User Info Menu

I use Alba string beads on my Cabaret, but sometimes still use the knots I learned to make for violin gut strings. The Alba beads are cheap enough to have several sets, plus they exist in transparent nylon.

I think there's still some enlargement of the string holes over time (on the saddle end) but agree with all the above other advantages. Plus you can prepare replacements for the strings most likely to snap to save some time when you get your instrument out for class, rehearsal or gig.

The only problem I've encountered is that they can get shot across the room if a string snaps at the saddle or because of a burr in the tie hole

Re: the break angle: yes, that's a nice improvement. I also make a very light score under the string behind the saddle top, basically what you get automatically on a steel-string flattop. I was a bit shocked to see how easily the strings slide over the top of a new classical saddle (can't be good for transfer efficiency!) and the scoring prevents that.

User Info Menu

Once you get used to tying the beads, they save a lot of time. I can also skip the melting of strings ends since the trebles don’t slip if tied properly. I use them on my 11-string alto guitar since the thick lower bass strings are very difficult to tie in the traditional manner.