The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So pretty much, I never knew this was possible to avoid on guitar cause most strings in general - have a bad rubbing bright twang on a Maj7th and Min9th intervals (I also play piano so I like getting that clarity). That was until I put Chrome Flatwounds on my steel string archtop and have even better intonation on chords then my piano. Chords like the MiMaj9th, Maj9(#11,13), and even the simple shell voicings of the Major7 chord - are the problem areas on my flamenco (like I said, I don't experience this problem on my chrome flatwounds). I've also heard numerous classical and flamencos that sound good using these chords.

Anyway, I am using a great quality spain made flamenco that generally sounds great and spicy. I've been looking at strings such as the
    Thomastik-Infeld CF128 Classic N Superlona (flatwood chromes with nylon), Aquila Alabastro (synthetic gut) & Sugars, and even some of the polished strings such as Ej45LP and the XTC's. So I still have hope.

Anyway. Do you have a go to strings that sounds good with jazz harmonies?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Could it be that the brighter the string the more you hear what you describe as an intonation problem. Since you also hear it on a piano I'm thinking it is not an intonation problem per se. Maybe it's the difference between "just tuning" which is based on the harmonic series, and equal temperament tuning. Brighter sounding strings are ringing the overtones/harmonics more clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Could it be that the brighter the string the more you hear what you describe as an intonation problem. Since you also hear it on a piano I'm thinking it is not an intonation problem per se. Maybe it's the difference between "just tuning" which is based on the harmonic series, and equal temperament tuning. Brighter sounding strings are ringing the overtones/harmonics more clearly.
    So yes, you're describing it correctly. The bright resonance is quite disturbing to me. Especially when layering voice over it when I need to be hitting these less consonant chord tones.

User Info Menu

I’ve not really encountered the problem you describe, so no idea if this helps, but I recently got a bit tired of the sound I was getting from the usual D’Addario Pro Arte strings I was using on my classical guitar. They just seemed to have become a bit thin or harsh-sounding for some reason. No idea if it’s just me, or they have changed the strings, I used to be quite happy with them.

Anyway after some experimenting, I ended up using Augustine Imperials, these seem to have a lot more depth and mellowness on my guitar, I really like them.

Of course they might not work for you, but I guess it demonstrates that trying different strings can change the sound quite a lot on a classical guitar.

User Info Menu

Jazz harmony is rich enough without the overtones. The softer top, the better for jazz.
    Every string you pull has audible 3-4 harmonics that doesn't suit with the chord you're playing.

User Info Menu

flamenco guitars typically emphasize those types of sounds...esp the percussive attack. not sure youll be able to get the sound you want from one of those...might wanna roll w a classical instead.

ive tried (and ditched) all those strings you mentioned. based on what youre saying, you want low or medium tension strings (look at their tension ratings on stringsbymail). id avoid aquila entirely.

take a look at hannabach's low tension. theyre my favorite strings. savarez is aight depending on the guitar. i like their cantiga basses w spruce, corum w cedar.

User Info Menu

I used the Labella 413P set for years and liked them. The bass strings are either flatwound or polished, and tend not to have as much ringing overtone as roundwound strings do. That might solve your problem.

Just a moment...

lately I've been wanting more ringing overtones on the bass strings so I've switched to Pro Arte strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spencer096
    flamenco guitars typically emphasize those types of sounds...esp the percussive attack. not sure youll be able to get the sound you want from one of those...might wanna roll w a classical instead.
    I'd go a step further and say that classical music in general uses "clashing chords" to invoke some kind of tension and smoothing out the sound of those chords would thus be counterproductive.

I wouldn't dismiss Aquila trebles completely. Their Granato trebles could be an option if you like high tension, or the Ambra 2000. Or check out what Rob Mackillop does with unwound gut strings; those will kill of most of your unwanted overtones.

Now, if you chrome flatwound steel strings suit you you should get that same effect with the TI wound strings you mentioned. If not, use the steel chromes, but installing each wound string 1 position lower (so the steel G as a D, the steel D as an A and the A as E). That gets you in the right ballpark for tension but you may need to experiment with (probably) a heavier or lower gauge to get the proper feel.

Either way, you should probably try the Thomastik Classic-S rope-core trebles, which are nylon-tape-wound over a core consisting of 2 or 3 thin steel ropes. They can be bought as singles, are pretty low tension and they intonate like you'd expect from a steel string.

Come to think of it: CGs usually don't have micro-intonated saddles, probably because of the stretch in the most common strings. With the wide fretboard there are a bit more possibilities to compensate intonation with the left hand, but I often get the impression that CG players have a very different attitude towards intonation than what I'm used to in other classical musicians. IOW, one can have a "great" guitar that has lousy intonation because of the way it has been set up. I suppose you already checked this on your guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    it would tend to accentuate the beats.