The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I've been listening to a few Jobim pieces played on guitar (the inevitable Triste and Felicidade...). Searching for scores it was a bit of a surprise to see they weren't written for guitar, apparently.

Can anyone recommend arrangements (and where to get them), more or less of intermediate level? Preferably score ("music notation") only.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A great book of bossa arrangements is The Brazilian Masters by Brian Hodel.It has Jobim tunes but also some by Luis Bonfa.Some tunes are easy but others are more advanced but all the arrangements are really well done.All are in notation.

User Info Menu

Do the 2 pieces I mentioned classify as bossa?

I just realise that the arrangement I caught as an earwurm is by Dyens, and doesn't exactly look intermediate at all

(usually I can follow piano scores when somebody asks me to turn, but here I'm not keeping up!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    A great book of bossa arrangements is The Brazilian Masters by Brian Hodel.It has Jobim tunes but also some by Luis Bonfa.Some tunes are easy but others are more advanced but all the arrangements are really well done.All are in notation.
    Thx for the tip. I’ve been playing along with videos, but it’s always great to have arrangements. But it’s a pity they didn’t include the most popular tunes. Well, I bought it anyway!

User Info Menu

Just to be certain, these are for 6-string guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Do the 2 pieces I mentioned classify as bossa?

I just realise that the arrangement I caught as an earwurm is by Dyens, and doesn't exactly look intermediate at all

(usually I can follow piano scores when somebody asks me to turn, but here I'm not keeping up!)
    Oh that arrangement is KILLIN!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Oh that arrangement is KILLIN!
    Indeed, and it really doesn't make you think "oh, that must have been arranged from who knows what", it works just perfectly. The execution too, of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    A great book of bossa arrangements is The Brazilian Masters by Brian Hodel.It has Jobim tunes but also some by Luis Bonfa.
    For my own future reference

• A Day In The Life Of A Fool (Manha De Carnaval)
    • Desafinado
    • Ebony Samba (Sambanegro)
    • Engano
    • Esperanca Perdida
    • Ilha De Coral (Coral Island)
    • Incerteza (I Always Knew)
    • Little Boat (O Barquinho)
    • Samba De Duas Notas (Two Note Samba)
    • Samba Triste
    • Sambalamento
    • Se Todos Fossem Iguais A Voce (Someone To Light Up My Life)
    • Silencio Do Amor (The Silence Of Love)
    • So Nice (Summer Samba)
    • Solidao
    • Song Of The Jet (Samba do Avião)

User Info Menu

(link to a PDF in the description)

User Info Menu

That version has inspired me to work on this one yet again. The PDF is available as standard notation only with fingering markings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    That version has inspired me to work on this one yet again. The PDF is available as standard notation only with fingering markings.
    Glad to have been of inspiration (or help, at least ) - but I don't see a link?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Glad to have been of inspiration (or help, at least ) - but I don't see a link?
    A link to the PDF? It's in the YouTube description.

User Info Menu

Oh, you mean the one that I already mentioned as available in the description. I thought you'd made a new arrangement of your own...