The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I don't know if it's a regularity, but classic guitars are made for playing jazz ballads...;

Box

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Re: nylon, boy do I agree!

Nice take.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Re: nylon, boy do I agree!

Nice take.
    Thank you Jeff,
    Best
    Kris

Agree 100%! I have recently realized something that I've known for a long time, but didn't admit because of my life-long love of archtops. is that playing an acoustic nylon string guitar is really all I want to do. I am playing a crossover guitar now, but don't even like plugging that into an amplifier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edrosenblatt
    Agree 100%! I have recently realized something that I've known for a long time, but didn't admit because of my life-long love of archtops. is that playing an acoustic nylon string guitar is really all I want to do. I am playing a crossover guitar now, but don't even like plugging that into an amplifier.
    There are sounds I love from steel strings and electric guitars, that I love to use.

But for sheer playing enjoyment, its really hard to top the feel of nylon strings.

User Info Menu

tasty ….

ps would it be wrong to play
    nylons with a pick ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    tasty ….

ps would it be wrong to play
    nylons with a pick ?
    I grew up in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood, and every house had a nylon string guitar (and a violin, and an accordion, and...) and I'd say at least 2/3 were strummed with a pick every time they came out. Which on summer nights, was every night.

So yes, you can use a pick.

That must have been wonderful. I often think that this is what music is supposed to be. Played communally for everyone to enjoy.

User Info Menu

Yep, I know that feeling. I played electric guitars for many years but nowadays just like playing on my classical - I’m also classically trained in later years and have come to realise there are no rules around what guitar to play what style of music on. Just enjoy playing whatever you feel sounds best and enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CP40Carl
    Yep, I know that feeling. I played electric guitars for many years but nowadays just like playing on my classical - I’m also classically trained in later years and have come to realise there are no rules around what guitar to play what style of music on. Just enjoy playing whatever you feel sounds best and enjoy yourself.
    I'm envious of your classical training. While my roots are grounded in jazz, when I sit down and read (quite poorly at this point) classical or other guitar music, I feel something very special happening. I am working to improve my reading and hope to achieve some degree of proficiency.

User Info Menu

I'm envious of your classical training. While my roots are grounded in jazz, when I sit down and read (quite poorly at this point) classical or other guitar music, I feel something very special happening. I am working to improve my reading and hope to achieve some degree of proficiency.
    I actually started having jazz guitar lessons after many years playing rock and blues. My tutor also taught classical guitar and I kind of gravitated towards that. He said that the classical training and techniques, plus learning to read, would enhance my overall guitar playing ability. He was right and I’ve now had many happy years playing both classical and jazz. My major interest is around fusing jazz and classical like Ralph Towner for example (check him out playing Nardis, amazing!). Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by CP40Carl
    I actually started having jazz guitar lessons after many years playing rock and blues. My tutor also taught classical guitar and I kind of gravitated towards that. He said that the classical training and techniques, plus learning to read, would enhance my overall guitar playing ability. He was right and I’ve now had many happy years playing both classical and jazz. My major interest is around fusing jazz and classical like Ralph Towner for example (check him out playing Nardis, amazing!). Enjoy.
    When I was 15 I took jazz guitar lessons with this great guitarist in Philadelphia. Part of the lessons included reading classical Etudes and sight singing. Unfortunately, after 1 1/2 years of lessons we moved back to Queens, NYC and I didn't continue with lessons.

I forgot about Ralph Towner. He is certainly a great guitarist. If I remember correctly he has a classical piano background.

User Info Menu

When I was 15 I took jazz guitar lessons with this great guitarist in Philadelphia. Part of the lessons included reading classical Etudes and sight singing. Unfortunately, after 1 1/2 years of lessons we moved back to Queens, NYC and I didn't continue with lessons.

I forgot about Ralph Towner. He is certainly a great guitarist. If I remember correctly he has a classical piano background.
    Yes, you are absolutely right, he does have a piano background - I think his main interest was around composition so the guitar was just a vehicle he liked for that. My reading is still pretty poor given the years I’ve been at it (!) but it’s all good fun, classical or jazz, and I’m loving it now as much as I did when I started playing aged 11yrs! Nice to hear you are also enjoying exploring new areas on the instrument, I think that is part of the appeal - keep moving, evolving and developing as a musician. Best wishes from near sunny Liverpool, a wonderful musical city.

Wow, Liverpool! Nice to have an English friend. I am currently in NY state but in the process of migrating to Florida.

User Info Menu

Awesome, hope the move goes ok! I’m guessing that will bring about quite a lifestyle change. Pack those guitars well for the journey and nice to have a US friend!