The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi
    Two questions:

a) I want to try a set of carbon strings on my classical guitar. Never used a carbon set before, probably a high tension set.There are a few makes to choose from: Savarez / D'Addario / Hannabach. What have you tried and liked for tone and volume?

b) Is there a make of classical guitar that does not have the standard 2" wide nut--for example 1 3/4" (or thereabouts) wide nut?

Many thanks--look forward to your answers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use Optima No. 6 medium tension on my guitar. I don't know whether they are available in your country, I suggest schneidermusik.de as one possible source.

There are plenty of Nylon String guitars with narrower nuts. They are marketed as Crossover Instruments, you will know them by their cutaways and Pickups.

User Info Menu

I have tried Hannabach Goldins and Knobloch Actives Carbon, both med/high tension on the following:

Camps 'Torres' w/ traditional specs, spruce/brw (650/52)
    K. Hill New Century custom very short scale, 3/4 sized body, spruce/irw - (615/48 w/ radiused 'crossover neck')
    Buscarino Cabaret short scale, redwood/sapele - (635/50 w/ radiused crossover neck)

Probably not surprising, I liked them the least with the Camps, felt too bright.

On the little Hill, I tried them to bring out some volume and upper end. Worked OK, and another benefit was that the smaller diameter of the strings helped me feel a little less cramped on the narrower neck. But... wasn't sure it was worth the extra expense.

On the Buscarino, I love them. Being a redwood/mahogany 'jazzy' sort of nylon stringed guitar with a pick-up (James May ultra tonic), it's inherently a bit darker and more closed than the traditional classical. The carbons really paired will with it to my ear for unamplified playing.

I've gone back and forth between the two sets listed above. I want to like the Hannabachs as I'm been playing that brand for 20 years and am comfortable staying in my rut most of the time but the Knobloch Actives have something that keeps me going back to them, stronger, different mids maybe. Can't put my finger on it quite yet.

As the previous poster noted, there are lots of guitars in the format you mention. Search for "nylon string crossover" and you get tons of options. 1.75" might be a little tight on a nylon stringed instrument, even with carbons. 1 7/8" or slightly more seems more common.

I'm over the moon with the Buscarino Cabaret, just a killer instrument that deserves a better player. But it's fairly expensive. Eastman makes a licensed version that's probably 80% as good for 25% of the price.