The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 55

User Info Menu

This is the official thread for the Jeff Arnold Jazz Ballads book.

You can find the book on Amazon using the link below. For a quick start there's a free PDF of the book available online but if you download that please buy the Kindle or physical book as well to pay respects to the author.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Ballad...d_i=1423405870

We are starting with Here's That Rainy Day.

The arrangements in the book should be simple enough for most of us here but the goal is to learn new voicings and new ways to move from A to B etc.

For instance I've noticed that Jeff likes to move from a Maj7 chord to a 6 chord if there is a bar of Maj7. It's a nice sound.

We'll take two weeks per tune. Learn it, record it ( video preferred) and post it here.

All discussion about the tunes welcome.

Ironically I'm sitting in the car just as the rain has arrived.

Looking forward to reading, seeing and hearing everyone's contributions.

Peace
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 06-07-2024 at 11:59 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Ironically I'm sitting in the car just as the rain has arrived."

Oh my, what have we done? We should have started with But Beautiful.

User Info Menu

For those who would like to create introductions to their chord melodies, I've attached a copy of the first chapter of John Valerio's book which deals with composing introductions to songs that start on a I chord, as is the case with Here's That Rainy Day. It's just a few pages long so consider it an Amazon book preview.

It's a good book, well worth the $10 Kindle price tag. It's designed for piano players but all the concepts in it can be applied to guitar.

Intros, Endings & Turnarounds: Essential Phrases for Swing, Latin, Jazz Waltz, and Blues Styles
    Amazon.com - Intros, Endings & Turnarounds

A couple of lead sheets to this tune have a descending bass line in the first few measures, I don't know if that was the composer's intent but I like it.

Below is a chart in F Major that has it. In G Major the bass line could be something like: G - GMaj.7/F# - Bm7b5/F - E7b9/E (= Bb7b5/E) - EbMaj.7/Eb.
    Attached Images Attached Images Here's That Rainy Day - Jazz Ballads by Jeff Arnold Tune #1-rainy-day-01-jpg 
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mick-7; 05-26-2024 at 01:42 PM.

User Info Menu

This is the original intro to the tune from the play, which apparently is not at all popular with musicians, because I only found this one rendition of it on YouTube (but I didn't spend much time looking).

Attached Images Attached Images Here's That Rainy Day - Jazz Ballads by Jeff Arnold Tune #1-rainy-day-intro-jpg 

User Info Menu

Just had a good look and very, very rough play through of Rainy Day.

I'm amazed at how similar it is to my arrangement which I posted in the other thread. The start of the tune and the coda section both start with the same chord fingerings.

Nice to see a little contrary motion as well ( which I also have in my version).

Anyhow let's aim to get this recorded by Sunday, June 9 which is two weeks to go.

Tim Lerch plays a nice intro here. I'm not sure if I have time to work it out this week but hopefully I'll have more time next week.

For sake of completeness and keeping everything in one place here is a rough take of my previous arrangement.

Last edited by Liarspoker; 06-07-2024 at 05:46 PM.

User Info Menu

I went through this on the weekend and I'm looking forward to getting it presentable.

It's a good level for me, as there are several shapes that I have never used before. (So it will take some work.)

I am going to make a change in bars 5 and 29 as I really want to hear those bars going to II mi. I'll play Ami11 to Ab7#11 in those bars. (keeping the D melody note on top)

Looking forward to seeing/hearing some other participation.

User Info Menu

I posted a chord melody of Here's That Rainy Day in Liarspoker's original thread, which came from a book entitled: 42 Chord Melody Arrangements for Solo Guitar by Barry Galbraith. I did not see it for sale anywhere, perhaps it's out of print, so I have attached a copy of it.

I prefer Galbraith's improvisatory approach to chord melody playing but it is much more difficult.

User Info Menu

I don't love the sound of really rubato guitar all the time, solo or otherwise, but this song seems to call for it somehow. Even if I were to work of the Galbraith arrangement, I'd at least try to play some of it with time, which would be challenging. Seems some of the fill licks left some of the triplet markings or rests off, I guess it's just sort of Joe Pass style, insert lick here rubato and land it where you will.
    Just thinking out loud. For anyone who has time to at least play thru some of the Galbraith arrangement it has some really cool ideas which would work over a lot of standards (obviously).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    I don't love the sound of really rubato guitar all the time, solo or otherwise, but this song seems to call for it somehow. Even if I were to work of the Galbraith arrangement, I'd at least try to play some of it with time, which would be challenging. Seems some of the fill licks left some of the triplet markings or rests off, I guess it's just sort of Joe Pass style, insert lick here rubato and land it where you will.
    Just thinking out loud. For anyone who has time to at least play thru some of the Galbraith arrangement it has some really cool ideas which would work over a lot of standards (obviously).
    Yeah, I wasn't suggesting we'd want to learn Galbraith's arrangement(s) verbatim but as you said, there are some good ideas we can use. In fact, I saw a few phrases in Arnold's arrangement that appeared to be borrowed from Galbraith, e.g., the 5th bar of his arrangement (Bm7-Bb7-Am11).

User Info Menu

Here's one take on the song's opening phrase with a descending bass line.
    Attached Images Attached Images Here's That Rainy Day - Jazz Ballads by Jeff Arnold Tune #1-heres-rainy-day-01-jpg 

User Info Menu

How is everyone doing with this?

I started practicing seriously on Sunday then felt sick on Monday/Tuesday so didn't play at all.

Played through it a few times today. Will have to knuckle down to get a good video by Sunday but hopefully will get there.

Don't forget the lyrics. Sing them in your head as you play the tune.

Frank is always good.

User Info Menu

Hope you're feeling better...

I think I'll rewrite the whole thing (and post my lead sheet), Arnold changes positions more than necessary, that is to say, there are easier ways (and chord voicings) to accomplish what he's aiming at.

User Info Menu

I've been working on this, really hoping to post a clean take by Sunday.

I've got it memorized, but for the life of me I can't play it all the way through without a stumble somewhere. (And not always in the same place.) Maybe my hands aren't strong enough?

Honestly this has been a bit of an eye opener for me. I really thought that I would get this done easily in two weeks, plus have a variation as well.

Will keep working.

Alan

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post

I think I'll rewrite the whole thing (and post my lead sheet), Arnold changes positions more than necessary, that is to say, there are easier ways (and chord voicings) to accomplish what he's aiming at.
    If you rewrite it, please post your playing. I'd love to hear you play it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop View Post
    for the life of me I can't play it all the way through without a stumble somewhere ...
    If you rewrite it, please post your playing. I'd love to hear you play it.
    Probably not your fault because, as I said, some of his fingerings are awkward and unnecessary, thanks.

User Info Menu

Hello Mick-7, appreciate all that you are doing here and looking forward to hearing your new arrangement. However also try to record Jeff's version as that is what this study group is about.

alpop, maybe play through it slower?

What do you guys think about phrasing? Should we play strict 8ths as in the book or should we be allowed to 'push and pull' a little?

Also a heads up that the author might be reading this thread.
    Last edited by Liarspoker; 06-05-2024 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    Hello Mick-7, appreciate all that you are doing here and looking forward to hearing your new arrangement. However also try to record Jeff's version as that is what this study group is about.

alpop, maybe play through it slower?

What do you guys think about phrasing? Should we play strict 8ths as in the book or should we be allowed to 'push and pull' a little?

Also a heads up that the author might be reading this thread.
    Yes I will try and do it slower. I don't mind playing with some push and pull as long as it is intentional and not because you're pausing to grab the next grip. My intention is to try and play it as written in time but not metronomic.

So I just found out today that I have a fill in gig this Friday at a Legion with a band that I've never played with before. So, I will be cramming their repertoire all day and night Thursday and all day Friday.(rock and roll, pop, country and blues)

How's that for an excuse? Oh yeah, the dog ate my copy of Jazz Ballads.

Seriously though I can work on it on Saturday and see what I get. I may post it Sunday even if it's not quite presentable.

User Info Menu

Me too.....4 gigs in a row starting tomorrow thru Sunday. I recorded something yesterday, just the piece as written but didn't want to share it as it sounded crap. I'll get to it soon tho.

Yes I will try and do it slower. I don't mind playing with some push and pull as long as it is intentional and not because you're pausing to grab the next grip. My intention is to try and play it as written in time but not metronomic.

So I just found out today that I have a fill in gig this Friday at a Legion with a band that I've never played with before. So, I will be cramming their repertoire all day and night Thursday and all day Friday.(rock and roll, pop, country and blues)

How's that for an excuse? Oh yeah, the dog ate my copy of Jazz Ballads.

Seriously though I can work on it on Saturday and see what I get. I may post it Sunday even if it's not quite presentable.

User Info Menu

"However also try to record Jeff's version as that is what this study group is about."

I don't plan to change it much, on paper anyway, just add some alternate voicings and/or chord fingerings. I don't like the voice-leading in some places.

One of the most important things I learned from attending a couple of workshops with Joe Pass is that the chord voicings and fingerings should be kept simple so that your phrasing can flow. If you have to really struggle to play something, it usually means you need to rethink how you're approaching it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post

By all means that's a good idea; I have my own treatment of the tune also, but I haven't notated it and likely won't!

We'd all love to hear you actually play the piece, since this is a playing thread. You seem like a very knowledgable, experienced, and accomplished player and we'd all benefit from your contribution, even if it's just setting your phone up to record.

User Info Menu

"I haven't notated it and likely won't!"

I am getting pretty frustrated with music notation apps, I may resort to writing it down on music notation paper and photographing the sheets with my phone, so much faster and easier for me.

User Info Menu

Ballads, definitely a favorite of mine!

User Info Menu

I don't think that I have time to record (or practice) anything over the weekend so thought I'd do a quick take now.

For the next tune I won't leave it as long to practise

Edit: just to say that this arrangement has grown on me and I'm stealing the closing lick for anything in G

Last edited by Liarspoker; 06-07-2024 at 08:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker View Post
    I don't think that I have time to record (or practice) anything over the weekend so thought I'd do a quick take now.

For the next tune I won't leave it as long to practise

Edit: just to say that this arrangement has grown on me and I'm stealing the closing lick for anything in G

Nicely done! I will keep that ending too. I also like the approach to the Eb maj7 that starts on beat 3 of bar 11.

User Info Menu

Nicely done! I will keep that ending too. I also like the approach to the Eb maj7 that starts on beat 3 of bar 11.
    Thank you. It's ok considering my circumstances

Yes, a nice bit of contrary motion from the E9 to EbMaj7.