The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Just seeing if there is sufficient interest in forming a study group to work through the Jazz Ballads book by Jeff Arnold.

Amazon.com

The plan would be to learn a few of the arrangements one at a time, record them and share them with the group.

Constructive feedback would be encouraged.

We can discuss the time that we can take per tune. Maybe something like 2 weeks.

Anyhow, it'll be fun. Who is in??

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll give it a try-I'm in.

User Info Menu

I just looked and I have that book, but so far unused. I will give it a try!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Just seeing if there is sufficient interest in forming a study group to work through the Jazz Ballads book by Jeff Arnold.

Amazon.com

The plan would be to learn a few of the arrangements one at a time, record them and share them with the group.

Constructive feedback would be encouraged.

We can discuss the time that we can take per tune. Maybe something like 2 weeks.

Anyhow, it'll be fun. Who is in??
    I am sure that I have this book.
    The search is on.
    If I find it, I am in.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Well, I'm already studying from this book so I will give it a go.

User Info Menu

I'd better buy the Kindle book so.

Let's give it a few more days so that other people can join. Maybe start on Monday?

I'd love to do Here's That Rainy Day especially if it's in G.

User Info Menu

cool, lets start with Here's That Rainy Day. It's in G

User Info Menu

As I said in your other thread, this book is available for free online (at pdfcoffee, et. al.). Just search for the book title + pdf.

I'm probably in, I'll take a look at the copy I downloaded.

I intend to start working on this book, transposing the techniques/chord voicings to guitar, but I could combine the two projects - I'll share my work.

Amazon.com - Intros, Endings & Turnarounds by John Valerio

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    cool, lets start with Here's That Rainy Day. It's in G
    Sounds good to me.

User Info Menu

Wow, I downloaded the PDF to get started quickly (will buy the book too).

Just looked at Rainy Day. I wrote out an arrangement for a student last week and it's very similar to the version in the book, the start anyway.

I'll try to record it this weekend then I'll start on the book version on Monday.

I'll set up a proper study group thread later today.

User Info Menu

I just did a quick take of the arrangement that I wrote out last week.

Forgive me, it's obvious that I didn't warm up etc. It's 2nd take so fairly rough and terrible sound. All I have time for before playing taxi driver and sideline dad for the day. Lol.

You can see the start I go Gmaj7 to Bm. Our first Bb7 chord is the same, in the second chord I play Bb on the G string, Jeff plays the 9th, C, on the G string. We both move up via chords etc.

The JA version will definitely compliment the version in the video. I'll try to record both properly when more time and I've learned the JA arrangement.

Have a great day all!!

User Info Menu

Arnold's rendition is rather tame.

In Barry Galbraith's version, he plays a symmetrical voicing in bar 6th that is cool:

6th Bar:

Am11: x-x-0-5-5-3-x

>> D7(alt): x-6-7-7-7-x >> x-9-10-10-10-x >> x-12-13-13-13-x

In Valerio's book, one of his intros to tunes that start in I Maj. is (in G Maj.) - IIIm7 (Bm7)/ bIII7 (Bb7)/ IIm7 (Am7)/ bII7 (Ab7)

I'm partial to open chords, so I'd play something like these (with melodic fills):

x-2-0-2-3-(0) >> x-2-0-1-2-(0) >> x-0-1-0-1-x >> x-3-4-3-4-x

Here is BG's version:
    Attached Images Attached Images Possible Jazz Ballads by Jeff Arnold Study Group - Who's In??-barry-galbraith-htrd-1-jpg 
    Last edited by Mick-7; 05-25-2024 at 05:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Arnold's rendition is rather tame.

In Barry Galbraith's version, he plays a symmetrical voicing in bar 6th that is cool:

6th Bar:

Am11: x-x-0-5-5-3-x

>> D7(alt): x-6-7-7-7-x >> x-9-10-10-10-x >> x-12-13-13-13-x

In Valerio's book, one of his intros to tunes that start in I Maj. is (in G Maj.) - IIIm7 (Bm7)/ bIII7 (Bb7)/ IIm7 (Am7)/ bII7 (Ab7)

I'm partial to open chords, so I'd play something like these (with melodic fills):

x-2-0-2-3-(0) >> x-2-0-1-2-(0) >> x-0-1-0-1-x >> x-3-4-3-4-x

Here is BG's version:
    That's a great post Mick. I just started a thread for the official study group for the book.

Would you mind posting this post in there? Just to keep everything in one place. Thank you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    That's a great post Mick. I just started a thread for the official study group for the book.

Would you mind posting this post in there? Just to keep everything in one place. Thank you
    Sure thing, but I need to install my copy of Guitar Pro first so I can post proper charts instead of "x-0-x-0-x-0" gibberish.

Speaking of which.....

One could do an open D string pedal point with Galbraith's dim. chord phrase:

D7: x-x-0-2-4-2 >> x-x-0-5-7-5 >> x-x-0-8-10-8-x >> Gmaj7: x-x-5-7-7-7

Makes more sense coming from: x-0-5-5-3-x

As I said , I like open strings.