The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 270

User Info Menu

Hi, all. Glad to be here.

Playing a melody in thirds, fourths, and various intervals is something I'm very interested in doing. However, I'm really just guessing and winging it whenever I try it.

Are there books or videos which explain the exact way to harmonize major, minor, modal scales as thirds and cadence fourths, both ascending and descending (because I discover that resolving a melody might require either a third or a fourth, depending in which direction the melody is ending up.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sorry, what are cadence fourths?

On the face of it, just practice your scales in intervals. Pick one a week and do 15m a day, maybe?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Sorry, what are cadence fourths?

On the face of it, just practice your scales in intervals. Pick one a week and do 15m a day, maybe?
    Probably the 4th that shows up in cadential 6 4 chord... but I am not sure - basically a 4th below the root where a 3rd does not work harmonically

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lydian_dorian View Post
    books or videos which explain the exact way
    This I doubt because there's rarely an exact way to do anything. How it hears to the player/listener is more important.

You know the scale, working out the 3rds and 4ths isn't difficult. Applying them to your tune is dependent on how you want it to sound.

User Info Menu

Seems like this would just be a "let your ears be the guide" thing, but I'm sure somebody's tried to make money off of it via book.

User Info Menu

This video (starting at 7:40) discusses somewhat what I'm trying to figure out, though I want to learn more about it in a more formal (music theory) way, not just memorizing it as a lick or pattern:

Playing and composing a melody as two notes at once, using major scale, all the minor scales, diminished, etc.

User Info Menu

Another example.

This classical guitarist has arranged the start of Bach's Canon in D playing two notes at once (have to click onto youtube to watch it):

There has to be some harmonized two-notes scale exercises and theory books out there.

User Info Menu

No, I don't want to guess about how to do this anymore. I've spent a lifetime of time-wasting noodling on the guitar trying to "figure things out" and memorizing licks. Extremely unsatisfying and frustrating. Looking for material which formally discusses how to construct two-note melodies in a logical, music theory way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
    Probably the 4th that shows up in cadential 6 4 chord... but I am not sure - basically a 4th below the root where a 3rd does not work harmonically
    Yes, that's what I was trying to say

User Info Menu

No, I don't want to guess about how to do this anymore. I've spent a lifetime of time-wasting noodling on the guitar trying to "figure things out" and memorizing licks. Extremely unsatisfying and frustrating. Looking for material which formally discusses how to construct two-note melodies in a logical, music theory way.
    Well I'm not suggesting just noodle. You could go about this very systematically, but I'm saying your ears will need to be the final decision maker on whether a third or fourth sounds better.

The concept here is relatively simple, but also open-ended, still certainly something you could work out without a book. The first step, as Christian mentioned, is simply to practice scales harmonized with different intervals. The next thing is to make the necessary adjustments should the harmony of the tune contain chords that are non-diatonic. Assuming you want to do this in a jazz context, that will be important.

However if you're looking for a book, give this thread a few hours, I'm sure someone here knows of something.

User Info Menu

Another example.

This classical guitarist has arranged the start of Bach's Canon in D playing two notes at once (have to click onto youtube to watch it):

There has to be some harmonized two-notes scale exercises and theory books out there.
    How dare you.

Pachelbel's Canon. Bach would never ....

User Info Menu

This video (starting at 7:40) discusses somewhat what I'm trying to figure out, though I want to learn more about it in a more formal (music theory) way, not just memorizing it as a lick or pattern:

Playing and composing a melody as two notes at once, using major scale, all the minor scales, diminished, etc.
    It looks like you're looking for something a bit prescriptive ... so here you go ...

The guy in the video (at 7:40 anyway) is playing a scale in 6ths. Start there.

Thirds and sixths are by far the most common intervals in this sort of thing (actually maybe 10ths moreso than 3rds, but 3rds will be easier to get going probably), being both consonant and representative of the quality of the chord. Play them the way he does, up a single set of strings. Try different keys and all the available string sets. Stick with major scales. The others are cool, but major is the bread and butter.

Once you feel comfortable with the sets of strings, try combining so that you're able to work through more of the full range.

After that, getting into 10ths (thirds, plus an octave) and octaves is probably the move.

2nds, 4ths, 5ths, and 7ths, aren't terribly common except in passing. So you'll see those intervals, but usually in moving from one more consonant interval to another.

That's a start and probably enough work to keep anyone busy for half a lifetime.

User Info Menu

I need to make a video on basic chord melody.

What the others said. You don't need a book. All you do is take the melody on top and insert the interval (or chord inversion) below that fits either the key, or the changes if they deviate from the key. Extremely simple. This is not guesswork. This is how my teacher, Tony Monaco who is a great, taught me the most basic method to approach chord melody.

User Info Menu

I always liked how "country" players could harmonize the melody of tunes in intervals.

And play out of tune intervals.

As Jimmy Smith said above. Start with a basic melody and experiment with intervals below the melody.

There is this guy Wes who found one interval he really liked...

User Info Menu

lydian_dorian -

Would you mind showing us what the melody is that you want to harmonise? Is it well known or one of yours?

Also, what style is it in? I'm asking because the guy in your video at 7.40 is playing sixths in what sounds like a country-type way. So the style is going to dictate what intervals you use.

Don't forget this is a jazz forum and these guys can theory you till your brain bleeds. But if all you're asking is how to make a fairly simple tune prettier then really it's no big deal. First play the tune without intervals and you should be able to hear when you need an extra boost on it and of what kind.

So let's hear the melody and I'll show you how you can do it. And it won't be difficult or a question of memorising anything, it's just a matter of what suits.

Incidentally, if you don't actually have a melody yet then you must find one. You'll only learn this by applying intervals to something concrete. You won't learn it by wallowing in a lot of abstract theory. So find a tune if you don't already have one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    So let's hear the melody and I'll show you how you can do it.
    My hero.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Well I'm not suggesting just noodle. You could go about this very systematically, but I'm saying your ears will need to be the final decision maker on whether a third or fourth sounds better.

The concept here is relatively simple, but also open-ended, still certainly something you could work out without a book. The first step, as Christian mentioned, is simply to practice scales harmonized with different intervals. The next thing is to make the necessary adjustments should the harmony of the tune contain chords that are non-diatonic. Assuming you want to do this in a jazz context, that will be important.

However if you're looking for a book, give this thread a few hours, I'm sure someone here knows of something.
    It’s money in the bank! I should have done it earlier.

Be methodical and thorough. It’s not noodling. It’s hard, focussed work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It’s money in the bank! I should have done it earlier.

Be methodical and thorough. It’s not noodling. It’s hard, focussed work.

Guitar players DO really like books.

I'm working on a follow up to my hit "Tuning the Guitar (Beginner to Advanced Techniques)"

User Info Menu

Start with parallel 3rds, 6th, 10ths, 13th. All keys, all positions.

Do it now. Start with C major today. Do G major tomorrow. And so on. 15 minutes.

User Info Menu

Start with parallel 3rds, 6th, 10ths, 13th. All keys, all positions.

Do it now. Start with C major today. Do G major tomorrow. And so on. 15 minutes.

Jinx

User Info Menu

Guitar players DO really like books.

I'm working on a follow up to my hit "Tuning the Guitar (Beginner to Advanced Techniques)"
    They do don’t they?

I quite like writing vast tracts of verbiage.

I should ca$h in.

User Info Menu

They do don’t they?

I quite like writing vast tracts of verbiage.

I should ca$h in.

You're good with words.

I'm actually (for real) working on an idea I came up with a few years ago, "Everything You Need to Get Started With Jazz Guitar."

It's going to be a pamphlet.

User Info Menu

You're good with words.

I'm actually (for real) working on an idea I came up with a few years ago, "Everything You Need to Get Started With Jazz Guitar."

It's going to be a pamphlet.
    Do it. I would totally GoFundMe that.

User Info Menu

Learn and analyse solo on Your Bird Can Sing ( I think it’s double track, don’t believe Harrison could play it so smoothly in 3rds alone)

User Info Menu

Yknow, it’s not a book but Alex Goodman has a My Music Masterclass on intervallic stuff. It’s on contrary motion and focuses on diminished stuff, so you’d need a lot of the stuff me and Christian already mentioned to make head or tails of it, but it’s very interesting .