The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 270

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    What am I being asked again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    we were talking about harmonizing chromatic passing notes with the thirds and sixths.

nevermind.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    we were talking about harmonizing chromatic passing notes with the thirds and sixths.

nevermind.
    I would use the same flavor of the chord it's going to. Jazz is about what's coming next, not where you were. If it's a chromatic on the way to a minor, make the 3rd a minor. It'll be fine. None of these rules are forever rules, they're guidelines until the player finds something else. You could also not harmonize the chromatic.

I'm still not clear if OP is talking about playing the melody up a 3rd, or playing double stops.

User Info Menu

nevermind.
    Well, just do the interval of the diatonic target note up or down a half step.

Or use mechanical voicings/barry stuff. So dim7/minor 3rd. Sounds less good to me in two voices though.

User Info Menu

Well, just do the interval of the diatonic target note up or down a half step.

Or use mechanical voicings/barry stuff. So dim7/minor 3rd. Sounds less good to me in two voices though.

Yep. Thats what I said.

User Info Menu

By the way, "the guy" in the video is Guthrie Trapp. He's an effin' monster. Check out his album "Pick Peace."

User Info Menu

Once I wrote the melody of Bluesette out in a few ways, just for fun:
    bluesette_intervallides_ja_akordides.mscz - Google Drive

It's a Musescore file.
    Sounds weird occasionally and can't guarantee that is all correct - might have picked the wrong scale for triads maybe..
    The triads are not meant to be used in that way anyway

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions, people. Working on some of them, already.

Stumbled on this yesterday. Demonstrates playing "Blue Monk" in 3rds, then, in other vids, using 10ths, all the way up to chord-melody. And he's got a bunch more videos showing similar arrangements.

User Info Menu

Yes, that's a good one. That'll show you moving sixths, thirds, tenths, and so on, in use. That way you're learning the intervals and a good tune to know at the same time. Notice how he mixes up the intervals in the Benson version. They nearly always sound best mixed like that.

Apparently he's got other vids and tunes too. That's a good idea, you don't want to get too hung up on one tune all the time, you'll get bored with it. I'm glad you've found this. Best of luck :-)

User Info Menu

yea... but at some point you need to have the technique.... to actually play.

Richie's cool... although extremely vanilla. He is organized, has history and has been playing for years...

It's great to learn tunes while your working on your skills. It's part of a balanced practice plan... (part)

But you need to decide on where you want to go with your playing. For many just learning tunes and having fun is it... nothing wrong with that approach.

User Info Menu

Hot take - all ice cream flavours are inferior to vanilla.

User Info Menu

It’s the stuff to add to the vanilla that improves it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    It’s the stuff to add to the vanilla that improves it.
    No

You have good vanilla and you make good ice cream.

That’s harder than dropping a load of over sweetened stuff on top.

User Info Menu

No

You have good vanilla and you make good ice cream.

That’s harder than dropping a load of over sweetened stuff on top.

To strip this of the metaphor, it’s interesting how harmonically straight down the middle most great improvisers are.

Especially pre-Herbie-Wayne-etc. And even after them.

I started transcribing Freddie Hubbard on Fee Fi Fo Fum once because I just had to know how those guys were navigating that tune. And he just like …. Straightforwardly played the changes.

User Info Menu

That said I do quite like squirty ice cream out of a nozzle. We call it me whippy in the UK. No idea what you call it, if you have it.

I also quite enjoy honeycomb and pistachio. Salt caramel. But chocolate is always disappointing of course. But none of those options are better than good vanilla ice cream.

User Info Menu

To strip this of the metaphor, it’s interesting how harmonically straight down the middle most great improvisers are.

Especially pre-Herbie-Wayne-etc. And even after them.

I started transcribing Freddie Hubbard on Fee Fi Fo Fum once because I just had to know how those guys were navigating that tune. And he just like …. Straightforwardly played the changes.
    Metaphor?

I’m just grumpy at Reg for being mean about vanilla. Vanilla ROCKS!

User Info Menu

Metaphor?

I’m just grumpy at Reg for being mean about vanilla. Vanilla ROCKS!

Oh well in that case don’t be ridiculous.

Mint chocolate chip. Has to be green.

User Info Menu

Oh well in that case don’t be ridiculous.

Mint chocolate chip. Has to be green.
    Conceptually better than the reality

Admit it!

User Info Menu

This has always been true for me. Vanilla was not only my favorite, but the rest tasted unanimously sub-standard. And then the derogatory term vanilla is slang for pedestrian. Don't get how that works when vanilla is excellent. I outright do not like chocolate because it tastes all bitter and ugly - don't get why almost everyone likes it. I like ice cream sandwiches with a little chocolate. I like some other flavors, strawberry being my 2nd favorite. My usual Cold Stone order was vanilla with strawberries.

User Info Menu

I like vanilla with the little peanut butter cups in it. Or chocolate chip cookie dough.

I think we call your me whippy “soft serve” here.

User Info Menu

Conceptually better than the reality

Admit it!

You're making a fool of yourself.

User Info Menu

Yea... vanilla is the harmonic organizational reference.... not what one plays or tries to play. It's not just about improve LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Yea... vanilla is the harmonic organizational reference.... not what one plays or tries to play. It's not just about improve LOL.
    I think we've established that vanilla is a flavor of ice cream.

User Info Menu

While pistachio is clearly the best ice cream flavor, I do not like seeing "vanilla" relegated to being a sneak diss for "boring."

If we're talking about something truly bland and boring, we should call it "beans on toast."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    While pistachio is clearly the best ice cream flavor, I do not like seeing "vanilla" relegated to being a sneak diss for "boring."

If we're talking about something truly bland and boring, we should call it "beans on toast."
    Which is why god invented hot pepper sauce

User Info Menu

Vanilla is very good but also, the best thing about it is that you can add ANYTHING(nice) to it and it works.
    No other flavor behaves like that.