The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Posts 251 to 270 of 270

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic View Post
    A cage match over nothing is my favorite kind of cage match.
    I said I agree with you. I even clarified and found your relevant posts. Now get AA to listen for f sake.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Side stepping isn’t much of a reharm. on guitar. Just sliding into home.
    That's true. That's a good tool to use. Do you get my point though? You said you're looking for a method for chordal stuff. It ain't reharmonizing the tune. You simply work out voicings to the written chords that you can rise and fall with a melody note.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    Now get AA to listen for f sake.

Jimmy. You're off your game tonight, my guy:

I feel like I am listening to Jeff. His video was closer to what I think I’m working on than Reg’s. But maybe it’s just that Jeff explained whats happening in more detail.

I really think I just need to sort out a system by woodshedding and practicing with another musician, then in a year I’ll be fine.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Then there are chords which are only partially altered, like 13b9's and Phrygian chords (7susb9). If I saw G7alt I'd have to assume a b13 and maybe a b9 or #9, but not a 13b9 or a 7susb9. Just saying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Then there are chords which are only partially altered, like 13b9's and Phrygian chords (7susb9). If I saw G7alt I'd have to assume a b13 and maybe a b9 or #9, but not a 13b9 or a 7susb9. Just saying.
    Thats where the chord scale is handy, the former being from the diminished and the latter from the harmonic minor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
    That's true. That's a good tool to use. Do you get my point though? You said you're looking for a method for chordal stuff. It ain't reharmonizing the tune. You simply work out voicings to the written chords that you can rise and fall with a melody note.
    Yeah, I do that. My question about reharmonizing was directed at Reg and his video. Or at least that's how I remember it. It's very hard for me to keep track of 5 conversations about 3 different things between all you guys.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I do that. My question about reharmonizing was directed at Reg and his video. Or at least that's how I remember it. It's very hard for me to keep track of 5 conversations about 3 different things between all you guys.
    I think the big takeaways that are in what everybody is talking about is:

1. When comping, a note on the 1st or 2nd string is heard as a counter-melody, whether you like it or not
    2. You can move that countermelody around interestingly without completely reharmonizing the tune. There's levels to it...simple to much more complex. Starting simple is fine
    3. Vanilla ice cream kicks ass

So basically, just treat every chord as major, minor, or dominant, and figure out a way to play any note on top of any chord. Create countermelodies while you comp, and be interesting rhythmically. And then work with that for 5 to 25 years

User Info Menu

Yeah I wouldn’t call what Reg was doing reharmonizing anyway. The changes are still the same, just embellished. Functionally not much different than mechanical voicings and whatnot

User Info Menu

Yeah I wouldn’t call what Reg was doing reharmonizing anyway. The changes are still the same, just embellished. Functionally not much different than mechanical voicings and whatnot
    Yeah, if I were comparing my vid to Reg's, mine is the vanilla in the plastic cup with the wooden spoon stick, Reg's is the vanilla with the little vanilla bean flecks in it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Yeah, if I were comparing my vid to Reg's, mine is the vanilla in the plastic cup with the wooden spoon stick, Reg's is the vanilla with the little vanilla bean flecks in it.
    Yeah his definitely has a picture of a dried vanilla bean and flowers on the carton.

User Info Menu

I think the big thing is still rhythm.

So many times when you transcribe stuff, it’s just way simpler than you’ve built it up to be, and I don’t think comping is all that different until you get to Herbie. There are always exceptions—Bill Evans, maybe—but listening for the rhythms and trying to hear where they’re playing the chord, and when they’re playing something in passing seems like the thing that makes a lot of this click to me.

Thats the part I’ve struggled with and had to work on (and still have the most work to do on).

User Info Menu

I think the big thing is still rhythm.).
    And a perfect time for my favorite Emily Remler quote: "Nothing is corny if it swings."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    So basically, just treat every chord as major, minor, or dominant, and figure out a way to play any note on top of any chord. Create countermelodies while you comp, and be interesting rhythmically. And then work with that for 5 to 25 years
    Drives me crazy we can summarize how to play jazz in like, 5 sentences but it’s years of work.

User Info Menu

Jens Larsen has many videos on jazz comping. You should definitely check them out.

User Info Menu

hey... Allen... it does take work, but most guitarist put in much more time than it really requires... from never really finishing much and spending too much time talking about it...LOL

Here's another vid.... it think I have it together now for downloading and posting. I don't have that together...LOL

These are loose and I'm just pushing record and start.... so there are lots mistakes LOL.

User Info Menu

I've said this for decades...

2) learn chord patterns
    learn how to adjust chord patterns to imply different targets
    learn how to organize harmonically chord patterns within tunes and forms of the tunes.

1) This stuff is after you already have chords down, all of them and can play them anywhere on the fretboard... at least a few places.

3) And again after you have chords down, be able to play any note on top.
    The top note is usually the most important, then the bottom and lastly the middle.

4) Now your actually ready, or have the skills to actually play, be able to apply your technical skill with musical organizations..

I use Functional organization.... Function is just how note react to each other and which notes have the Power in harmonic contexts... tunes and styles of playing tunes.

This is where the term Vanilla actually comes into play.... it's not just what to play... it's also what your implying.

And obviously... rhythmic skills helps make it all work when playing live.

User Info Menu

So what’s a chord pattern?

Do you mean identifying things like I vi ii V.

Or are you talking about changing two bars of D into something like
    |Dmaj7 D6 |Em A13|

or both?

User Info Menu

So what’s a chord pattern?

Do you mean identifying things like I vi ii V.

Or are you talking about changing two bars of D into something like
    |Dmaj7 D6 |Em A13|

or both?
    Yea all of the above.
    Think... I VI II V in maj changes to I bVI II-7b5 V7alt in nat. Minor ... basic nat Min tonal target. Not always,,, but for starting to understanding how Chord Patterns can adjust to different tonal Targets.
    You still have and usually use subs within the chord patterns to help create forward motion, feel of repeat.

Where it becomes a little more complicated is with organization of extensions....

here's another vid... Perdido... it's again loose, I'm working around my house...LOL
    I'll keep adding more tunes and start verbally labeling where I'm using chord Patterns etc...

User Info Menu

Playing melody in thirds, fourths, etc.-vanilla-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Yea all of the above.
    Think... I VI II V in maj changes to I bVI II-7b5 V7alt in nat. Minor ... basic nat Min tonal target. Not always,,, but for starting to understanding how Chord Patterns can adjust to different tonal Targets.
    You still have and usually use subs within the chord patterns to help create forward motion, feel of repeat.

Where it becomes a little more complicated is with organization of extensions....

here's another vid... Perdido... it's again loose, I'm working around my house...LOL
    I'll keep adding more tunes and start verbally labeling where I'm using chord Patterns etc...
    Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I have the right vocabulary.

The videos are really helpful too