The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I've come to the realization that I, pretty much, only like ballads - you know, 'saloon songs', as Sinatra called them. Stuff like Wes's 'While We're Young' and 'One For My Baby', along with Johnny Smith's 'Shenandoah' and 'Moonlight In Vermont'; then there's Herb's version of 'Send In the Clowns' and 'Danny Boy' and there's always 'Georgia' and 'Misty' and I'm even working up an arrangement on Willie Nelson's 'Night Life'. Somehow, I'm more drawn to working up these types of tunes. I'm not one for much improv - I just like pretty chords. Anyone else like that or am I just odd?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Me too! For solo playing, slower tempos with a strong melody just feel better.

User Info Menu

I'm definitely in your club, Mr. Ellis.

User Info Menu

"I've come to the realization that I, pretty much, only like ballads"

Ballads period? Or just as vehicles for chord melodies? (you did post your thread here in the chord melody forum)

"Anyone else like that or am I just odd?"

If your answer to my previous question (period?) was "Yes" it may mean that you're getting too old (but not odd) to rock n' roll.

User Info Menu

Yes

User Info Menu

I like ballads but they are most effective when followed up immediately by a good burner with no downtime between them. It's a shock to the listener and keeps their attention better because you've created such an abrupt contrast. You follow up Ebb Tide with Cherokee. Now you've created an atmosphere of unpredictability, which is ideal for showtime and stretching already short attention spans.

User Info Menu

If your taste is different from most, to me, that's a feature, not a bug.

Go with it!

Everybody has his own relationship with music.

User Info Menu

I still can play old rock songs ,and pop music ( ++David Gilmour).But I prefer ballads when I play solo jazz tunes
    HB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    You follow up Ebb Tide with Cherokee.
    Ebb Tide and Cherokee? You keep telling us you’re “just a blues guy”. Are you holding out on us??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I've come to the realization that I, pretty much, only like ballads - you know, 'saloon songs', as Sinatra called them. Stuff like Wes's 'While We're Young' and 'One For My Baby', along with Johnny Smith's 'Shenandoah' and 'Moonlight In Vermont'; then there's Herb's version of 'Send In the Clowns' and 'Danny Boy' and there's always 'Georgia' and 'Misty' and I'm even working up an arrangement on Willie Nelson's 'Night Life'. Somehow, I'm more drawn to working up these types of tunes. I'm not one for much improv - I just like pretty chords. Anyone else like that or am I just odd?
    If you are "just odd", then so am I because that is what I like to play on both piano and guitar. Since I am not being paid to play anymore, I have the luxury of playing what I like, and that is ballads.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Ebb Tide and Cherokee? You keep telling us you’re “just a blues guy”. Are you holding out on us??
    I'm definitely not holding out on you. I was just providing a jazz-esque example and those are two songs I enjoy that are highly contrasting tempos. I will often hit "Rainy Night in Georgia" followed immediately and without break into "Caldonia,"