The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 57

User Info Menu

I assume we use the term “chord melody” whenever someone plays alone or accompanies a singer alone. To me there’s something magical in the sound of a guitar carrying everything by itself.

Classic example being Barney Kessel on his Solo album, or with Julie London (though I think there’s also has a bass player, but still.)

There are only one or two recordings that I know of (both very lovely) of Wes by himself.

Do you have any particular faves?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    I assume we use the term “chord melody” whenever someone plays alone or accompanies a singer alone. To me there’s something magical in the sound of a guitar carrying everything by itself.

Classic example being Barney Kessel on his Solo album, or with Julie London (though I think there’s also has a bass player, but still.)

There are only one or two recordings that I know of (both very lovely) of Wes by himself.

Do you have any particular faves?
    Check this album out--it's remarkable for its "guitar as lap piano" mastery:

User Info Menu

Joe Pass is the one who got me started, and I've had so many favourites along the way. Now, I look forward to hearing Julian Lage any time he's playing solo. He's always so fresh and his approach to the music is always growing. Wolfgang Muthspiel, Ralph Towner, Lage Lund, Mike Moreno and Jonathan Kreisberg, same thing. Always fresh, tasteful and always showing me what is possible on the guitar.
    Good to see the art is in such good hands.

and don't overlook Freddie Bryant
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 11-24-2023 at 12:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell is my favorite solo player. This is one reason why:

User Info Menu

I like a lot of Ben Monder's stuff.

Take a listen and hear why.

User Info Menu

When I first heard this my brain exploded

It was an earlier video shot on a phone in low res, but it’ll do. This was about ten years ago.

He showed me something I had assumed impossible on the guitar was in fact possible. Which is always nice.

PG’s more of a known quantity now, but still absolutely insane. Not sure if he’s my absolute favouritest solo guitar, but he’s always worth checking out.

User Info Menu

In general I rate Peter Bernstein very highly, especially on monk.

User Info Menu

On this forum you might want to check out Mr Mark Kleinhaut….

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    On this forum you might want to check out Mr Mark Kleinhaut….
    Will do. And Mr. Beaumont.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Well, there are the usuals: Joe Pass of course, George Van Eps and Johnny Smith (.e.g, the Legends CD). But another favorite is Gene Bertoncini (Quiet Now, Body and Soul, Someone To Light Up My Life).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    Can someone clue me in? What recordings are these?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Can someone clue me in? What recordings are these?
    The two I know are:

Mi Cosa/Unidentified solo guitar (Guitar on the Go)
    While We Are Young (So Much Guitar).

User Info Menu

If you want to play solo guitar,the only solution is:
    learn,learn,learn,learn and learn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The two I know are:

There's also Wes' versions of:
    "Days of Wine and Roses" - Boss Guitar
    "Midnight Mood" - Tequila
    "Angel Eyes" - Groove Brothers
    "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face" - Full House

User Info Menu

Organists of course. The sound of the whole beast of an instrument comin at ya with bass, chord, and melody is magnificent.

My teacher

User Info Menu

Bobby Broom is an excellent solo guitarist - impeccable time feel and a great balance between chord and line playing.

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Easy Living

My One and Only Love

People

Stella by Starlight

Tenderly

My Ideal

I'll Never Fall in Love Again

Here's That Rainy Day

These Foolish Things

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The two I know are:

Graham, I'm sure you're aware that there are a few other versions of Mi Cosa. It was recorded with strings for Bumpin' and appears as Solo Ballad in A Major on a live at Ronnie Scott's album. However, the finest rendition is from a Half Note recording that wasn't included in the Smokin' at the Half Note package:

BTW, I transcribed this years ago. PM me if you're interested in a copy.

User Info Menu

Russell Malone does a really nice job on a Bee Gees tune...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Graham, I'm sure you're aware that there are a few other versions of Mi Cosa. It was recorded with strings for Bumpin' and appears as Solo Ballad in A Major on a live at Ronnie Scott's album. However, the finest rendition is from a Half Note recording that wasn't included in the Smokin' at the Half Note package:

BTW, I transcribed this years ago. PM me if you're interested in a copy.
    Yes I’ve got the Half Note one, also got the Ronnies CD (although I’d forgotten it was on there).

Plus I’ve already got your transcription somehow, found it on my computer!

User Info Menu

Rosenwinkel has a new CD out. Solo baritone. Improvised. Haven't heard much but the low end kinda fills things out a bit, at least to my ears.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I don't have a favorite, just a bunch who grab me. Here are some:

User Info Menu

Nice thread! For a guy who plays a lot of solo guitar...I sure don't listen to much of it. So this is cool, lots of good stuff I haven't heard.

As for what I like best, a lot of times I find a solo electric guitar is too tonally uninteresting to me after a few tunes. Much prefer solo guitar on acoustic, specifically on nylon strings...the few albums Joe Pass plays nylon on for example, are just fantastic.

I really love listening to Yamandu Costa play solo. Not really jazz, I guess, but he's just an absolute monster. That Muthspiel clip above is just great too.

Johnny Smith has some solo recording on acoustic archtop that are beautiful.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=PMB;1300509]Bobby Broom is an excellent solo guitarist - impeccable time feel and a great balance between chord and line playing.

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

John A : Thanks for sharing Bobby Broom . I didn´t know him.
    What a great player
    I went to his YouTube channel also showing his trio playing. Wow

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Uffe Steen;1300751]
    Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Bobby Broom is an excellent solo guitarist - impeccable time feel and a great balance between chord and line playing.

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

John A : Thanks for sharing Bobby Broom . I didn´t know him.
    What a great player
    I went to his YouTube channel also showing his trio playing. Wow
    Hi Uffe,

I first got to know Bobby from his two long stints as guitarist for Sonny Rollins. His solo version of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes is particularly nice and turned up on the 2009 trio album Bobby Broom Plays For Monk.