The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Where I'm at with it.

Loosely based on yesterdays - less ii-V, more prolonged pedal points.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, it wouldn't pass as genuine baroque, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. It did pass the time nicely, though, and I recognise the amount of work you've been undertaking to get to this stage, Christian. Enjoyable.

The jumper, on the other hand The first Christmas jumper I've seen since viewing them in the Community trash bin on Boxing Day

User Info Menu

This remains for me the knitwear high watermark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Well, it wouldn't pass as genuine baroque, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. It did pass the time nicely, though, and I recognise the amount of work you've been undertaking to get to this stage, Christian. Enjoyable.
    Thanks!

Tbh I’m not sure any of it is meant to be exactly, but I think it’s having a positive effect on my jazz playing.

I think it’s a way of working on harmonic technique, awareness of form, counterpoint and so on. But the simple answer is that it is compelling to me to work on this sort of thing for some reason… I usually listen to my instincts on this stuff, we’ll see where it leads.

The jumper, on the other hand The first Christmas jumper I've seen since viewing them in the Community trash bin on Boxing Day
    I have one with penguins too

User Info Menu

Now you gotta swing it, like Tull did with "Bouree."

User Info Menu

Sounds super cool Christian. I must try something similar but gave been super busy with non musical stuff the last two weeks and the run up to Christmas won't help. I'll try anyway. Great to see you posting this. Btw your guitar needs a worn look. A few more dings etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Sounds super cool Christian.
    thanks!

I must try something similar but gave been super busy with non musical stuff the last two weeks and the run up to Christmas won't help. I'll try anyway. Great to see you posting this. Btw your guitar needs a worn look. A few more dings etc.
    Im working on it lol

User Info Menu

Sounds wonderful, Christian! I sometimes toss a fugal approach into a chorus or two of an improvised solo in standards. The collective improvisation can be a lot of fun, especially if one player stays outside while another sicks to clean variations on the head. The bass can add another contrapuntal line, provide pedal point, or (as ours chose to do on this one) punctuate the rhythmic regularity of the fugue. When it works out, it's a real Bach to Bop experience.

I did this last Thursday at my weekly trio gig. We let guest players join the band for a few tunes after our set. Two brothers (a 14 year old pianist and a 16 year old drummer) have been coming almost every week for the last year or so. These are two of the nicest, most respectful and pleasant people (let alone teenagers) I've ever met, and they take in everything we can teach them like sponges. Every time they come in, I ask them to call one or two tunes that they know, and they've always picked serious stuff like Confirmation and This I Dig Of You. I've discussed the need for them to learn standards so they can get gigs. They showed up with a backpack full of old print fakebooks that they've started learning.

They asked us to play Autumn Leaves with them, so we hit it. As the bass solo was coming to a close, I told the pianist to do a fugue with me on the next chorus. He wasn't sure what I meant, so I told him to listen to the first line and jump in with a second part that stuck closely to the head. I always record our gigs for quality control, but the mics are out of the way and aimed at the stage. They don't pick up the house sound system well, and the keyboards are all running direct to house. So the Nord is too quiet in this mix compared to my guitar. But you can easily hear the idea and how well the brothers caught on. Try it - you'll like it!

User Info Menu

Nice. It kinda misses the shredding (or fugue for lack of anything more appropriate) that one expects this to be leading up to Next video, maybe?

Well, it wouldn't pass as genuine baroque
    Add some gouldish moaning and it would fool more than one!