The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here is a fun new solo guitar arrangement for After You've Gone! As is typical for this tune I play the heads regular time and the solos uptempo double time, check it out! In addition, a 75 minute video lesson is available to teach every aspect of this arrangement: how to execute the melody and "head", chord substitutions, walking bass, improvisation, right hand and so much more. I pretty much use and explain every technique I know to be able to play in this style... To obtain a copy just PM me or email jake.reichbart at gmail.com

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Reichbart
    Here is a fun new solo guitar arrangement for After You've Gone! As is typical for this tune I play the heads regular time and the solos uptempo double time, check it out! In addition, a 75 minute video lesson is available to teach every aspect of this arrangement: how to execute the melody and "head", chord substitutions, walking bass, improvisation, right hand and so much more. I pretty much use and explain every technique I know to be able to play in this style... To obtain a copy just PM me or email jake.reichbart at gmail.com

Great as usual. How come you put it in D instead of the regular key of C?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Great as usual. How come you put it in D instead of the regular key of C?
    Thanks! Yes, I actually address this in the lesson, about this song, and in general about the choice of key when you arrange any song. In this case several elements came together: 1) The first four melody notes (af-ter-you've-gone), fell right under my fingers and played perfectly against that G chord with open strings 2) It seemed like a good range for the guitar, entire melody wise 3) A singer I worked with used to do it in this key so it kind of stuck. Having said that, It can work in any key...

User Info Menu

This is just a little touch, but I like the pause at the end after you've finished playing. So much better than a reach to turn off the camera being the end of the video. Little finishing touches like that stick out to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    This is just a little touch, but I like the pause at the end after you've finished playing. So much better than a reach to turn off the camera being the end of the video. Little finishing touches like that stick out to me.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Reichbart

Thanks, that was terrific. Was the improvisation part devised on the fly or worked out in advance? In either case I enjoyed it very much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charleyrich99
    Thanks, that was terrific. Was the improvisation part devised on the fly or worked out in advance? In either case I enjoyed it very much.
    Thanks, that was 100% improvised! But there is the understandable caveat of course that I have played this tune and countless other standards for decades so I developed my own language which I use across my performances. In other words If I played this tune on Monday and again on Wednesday, the voicings and the lines would be different in the details but you could probably guess they were done by the same person as there will be some similarities...