The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 238

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    Great versions by everybody. Here's my quick trip through the tune. (and how did my iphone know my youtube identity......?)

Incidentally, the joe pass Chord solos book has a great version of this tune in it. Those of you who are learning what to do with this tune should check it out, as it is a great example of how absolutely common chord grips can be used to do great solo guitar arrangements.

Wow that was a really nice and impressive interpretation! A lot of fun to watch!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey Lawson....thanks.....that was my first take and I decided to go ahead and post it. I'll keep trying to smooth it out and add it to one of my sets of romantic instrumental tunes. I've listened to your take on the song and enjoyed it. You have so much knowledge and insight and I'm sure everybody appreciates your input....I know I do.....Dan

User Info Menu

Thanks Paul.....yeah C works for this tune. I am absolutely loving this thread...so much fun to hear evervbody's interpretation and style.....Dan

User Info Menu

Great versions by everybody. Here's my quick trip through the tune. (and how did my iphone know my youtube identity......?)

Incidentally, the joe pass Chord solos book has a great version of this tune in it. Those of you who are learning what to do with this tune should check it out, as it is a great example of how absolutely common chord grips can be used to do great solo guitar arrangements.
    Very cool take, Paul. Great energy and swing.

John

PS your phone knows everything about. It's the Central Scrutinizer.

User Info Menu

Thanks to pkirk for the tip that DOWAR is in the Joe Pass Chord Solos book. Has anyone done or got this version of DOWAR?

My understanding is that the etudes in that book were written specifically for the book and that the recorded versions were not released.
    Last edited by sunnysideup; 01-28-2018 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

In the spirit of "perfect is the enemy of good," I present the arrangement I've been working on for about a week.

User Info Menu

some lovely and original touches rpguitar, around 0.55 - 1.05, and the closing section, delicious!

User Info Menu

This isn’t an arrangement — I just left the recorder running five minutes and tried different rhythms and tempos each time through. It starts a bit stiff, but I think I was playing more freely after the first couple of minutes. Next I’d like to do a reset by listening to a bunch of versions of this tune, especially vocals.

User Info Menu

I had that whole book memorized at some point. A lot of my chord solo licks are stolen from it. I never ran across a recording of him doing the tunes in the book, though. It sounds a whole lot to me like someone transcribed Joe Pass, though, as opposed to an "in the style of..." book.
    Thanks, I've had that book for years, but my reading of chord voicings is so slow that by the time I get to the end of a bar I forget what I was supposed to be doing at the beginning of the bar, so I've never really used it.

Yes I think it's definitely the real Joe, not "in the style of".
    Last edited by sunnysideup; 01-29-2018 at 03:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch
    Hi Guys,
    Here is a overview/breakdown of my version followed by few improvised choruses. ...
    Hey Tim,
    That was fun to watch, and your playing at the end is superb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    In the spirit of "perfect is the enemy of good," I present the arrangement I've been working on for about a week.

Nice one. Lots of beautiful voice leading.

John

User Info Menu

After my first attempt, I started messing around with DoWaR in C, which is the what various pros (the ones who scowl when someone calls it in F) tell me is the right key. I'm actually liking it a lot. And the gist of this arrangement came to me pretty quickly. I had a short window to record while the family was out, and recording plus videoing at the same time tends to fluster me, so I couldn't quite get a perfect take, so let's just call it Bonus Content: Spot the Clam ...

Comments and critiques welcome ...

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    Hey Tim,
    That was fun to watch, and your playing at the end is superb.
    Thank you Kirk,
    I enjoyed your rendition as well.

Best
    Tim

User Info Menu

thanks for the nudge Graham.

For people who don't have the book, or who, like me, can't read well enough to study a long CM arrangement by reading (and possibly don't want to either), this guy is doing the full take.

I wouldn't say it's on a par with Joe's (2 that I know of) "real" versions, but after all it it's aimed at students, and this guy is doing a faithful repro...

... let me qualify that - rhythmically it's doing what's in the book, and the dots in each bar are going in the same direction as the music - I haven't checked every single voicing, and it would take me all year to do that!

Last edited by sunnysideup; 01-29-2018 at 04:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    in YouTube search for ‘Joe pass wine and roses’ (ignore any joe pass ‘days of wine and roses’ which come up). I found at least a couple where someone plays the chord solo from the book.

I’ve never come across a recording by Joe himself.
    What is the title of the Joe Pass book that you are referring to ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    What is the title of the Joe Pass book that you are referring to ?
    Joe Pass Chord Solos. It has a slightly creepy drawing of Joe's eyes, nose and moustache (and not much else) on the cover.

Like sunnyside, I have trouble reading the chords quickly enough to make sense of the musical 'line'. It does help to hear someone else play it through. It's long too, several choruses I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup
    some lovely and original touches rpguitar, around 0.55 - 1.05, and the closing section, delicious!
    Thank you! You picked up on a couple of the sections that I thought took the most chances, and I was wondering how they would be received. Sometimes I imagine a listener will think I am stepping out of the lines too much, but my own ear says otherwise, so I will work on my confidence in that area. Thanks for the call out!

User Info Menu

I can't upload the cover photo. I've uploaded the youtube already.

The ISBN is 0-7390-0745-9

Several of the forum's versions are much better imho, it's just a student version.
    Solo guitar tune #1 - Days of Wine and Roses-joe-jpg

User Info Menu

Thank you! You picked up on a couple of the sections that I thought took the most chances, and I was wondering how they would be received. Sometimes I imagine a listener will think I am stepping out of the lines too much, but my own ear says otherwise, so I will work on my confidence in that area. Thanks for the call out!
    RP those sections are fabulous. I was going to ask you where you got them. I really couldn't believe they were original. I'm going to steal them :-)

User Info Menu

I had that whole book memorized at some point. A lot of my chord solo licks are stolen from it. I never ran across a recording of him doing the tunes in the book, though. It sounds a whole lot to me like someone transcribed Joe Pass, though, as opposed to an "in the style of..." book.

I'm pretty sure they are not really transcriptions of any recording, but were created specifically for this book to provide playable examples of Joe's approach. I bet he played them, privately for someone who then transcribed them for the book. I have hacked through the "Misty" version in there and learned almost every good CM lick I know from that one version.

They aren't "arrangements" because they don't use the original melody of the tune, just the changes and some allusions to the melody. I see them as providing a wonderful "second chorus" of a tune that you already have a "head" CM arrangement for.

The DOWAR actually has THREE full choruses, so I'm thinking of studying it just for the wealth of ideas that will be in there.

YouTube does have clips of guys who have learned some of these and posted them. I have some links I'll hunt down and post if I can find them.

User Info Menu

I'm going to steal them :-)
    It's not quite as cleanly played as I'd like so if you have any trouble stealing, feel free to PM me for chord shapes! And thank you again for the reassuring compliment.

User Info Menu

Someone playing from the Joe Pass Chord Solos Book.

I don't hear the melody that well at all.

User Info Menu

Wow that was really great RP! Wonderful subs and embellishments. Very original take on it. (And awesome guitar tone too!)

I think it is really fun hearing everyone's interpretations!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=KirkP;840843]This isn’t an arrangement — I just left the recorder running five minutes and tried different rhythms and tempos each time through. It starts a bit stiff, but I think I was playing more freely after the first couple of minutes. Next I’d like to do a reset by listening to a bunch of versions of this tune, especially vocals.
    /QUOTE]

That was very enjoyable to listen to I've had it on in my office while working and it's very nice. I do like the sound of your guitar very much too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    After my first attempt, I started messing around with DoWaR in C, which is the what various pros (the ones who scowl when someone calls it in F) tell me is the right key. I'm actually liking it a lot. And the gist of this arrangement came to me pretty quickly. I had a short window to record while the family was out, and recording plus videoing at the same time tends to fluster me, so I couldn't quite get a perfect take, so let's just call it Bonus Content: Spot the Clam ...

Comments and critiques welcome ...

John
    That was great John. I really liked this take in key of C. It really works. I wonder how all the lead sheets and real books etc. all decided that the song was in F to begin with?

I like to change keys to one that works best for me, especially if playing solo. It's amazing how different a guitar can sound for the same song when different keys are used.